Infiniti Q50 Owners?

I sold my vehicle on Super Bowl Sunday of this year and we’ve been without a vehicle since. It’s been nice to save money. I have a free public transit card from my previous employer, and she doesn’t mind the flexibility of getting sometimes free bus rides, sometimes paying $3 for Lyfts back and forth from work. We live in Denver which has a great public transit system, and pretty much downtown which makes commuting without a car a lot easier.

I’ve been looking at getting a Used Infiniti Q50. Right now the 2015’s can be had for a really good deal, but they are an older non-turbo engine. The 2016’s and newer have a 3.0L V6 Turbo available and its tunable and mod-able to get upwards of an extra 100 HP.

Wondering if anyone has one of these cars, if they’ve had issues with it, how it drives for them, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I bought a used 2016 about a year and a half ago from Carvana, had about 25k miles at the time, otherwise mint condition. Loved it so far. The engine is great, really smooth, with responsive easy power when you need it. Haven’t messed around with any mods, but it came fully loaded so I haven’t felt the need. Happy to answer any other questions.

1 hour ago, Gator Dave said:

I bought a used 2016 about a year and a half ago from Carvana, had about 25k miles at the time, otherwise mint condition. Loved it so far. The engine is great, really smooth, with responsive easy power when you need it. Haven’t messed around with any mods, but it came fully loaded so I haven’t felt the need. Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks man! How do you like the drive by wire system? Do you have the 2.0 or 3.0 engine? What’s your gas mileage like?

Thanks man! How do you like the drive by wire system? Do you have the 2.0 or 3.0 engine? What’s your gas mileage like?

3.0. Drive by wire has been fine, I think they made some refinements to it between ‘15 and ‘16. Gas mileage obviously is very dependent on traffic and driving conditions, but right now I’m at 24.9. My driving is mainly just commute to/from work, which is about 15 miles of tollway with 2 miles of surface roads. I go in early to work, so I miss the worst of rush hour traffic.

I have one.  3.0; 300 hp.  I'm not really a car person.  It's fast, handles well, and looks nice.  Gas mileage is something poors worry about.  

I would definitely get the turbo.  It's very fun to drive.  

Edited by bschoolprof

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If you decide to modify it, please remember to fiddle with the exhaust such that it will sound like percussive diarrhea into a Home Depot bucket. 

Haha, I would never. That shit is whack. If I were to do anything, it would be this: https://motoxdirect.com/infinity-q50-q60-jb4-performance-tuner-q50-q60-vr30ddt/. Adds almost 100 hp and 100 torque to a Q50 Sport.

How tall are you? I’ve driven a ton of Q50s as rental cars (actually totaled one in Houston when a red light runner t-boned me) and have never been able to get a comfortable seat position. I’m only 6’2 but I’ve never been able to get the seat back far enough so that my right knee isn’t hitting the dash or low enough that my head isn’t scraping the roof.

6 hours ago, royiv said:

How tall are you? I’ve driven a ton of Q50s as rental cars (actually totaled one in Houston when a red light runner t-boned me) and have never been able to get a comfortable seat position. I’m only 6’2 but I’ve never been able to get the seat back far enough so that my right knee isn’t hitting the dash or low enough that my head isn’t scraping the roof.

6’0”. That sounds like it could be a deal breaker. Will definitely test drive one before potentially buying one off of Carvana.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif

I drove a QX60 rental last week. It would be a great soccer mom car. As an SUV, it kind of sucked. We were going to go over Ophir Pass and that truck wasn't going to make it. After a few miles, I turned around. The thing had no power and I wasn't positive that it had AWD: There were no manuals in the car. We forded a couple of streams and that seemed okay. On obstacles that needed high clearance, the car would bottom out on both the front and rear end. The deal killer was we hit a steep incline, and I was flooring the engine and the car wasn't moving and the wheels weren't spinning - not good.I was at a spot where I could turn around which can be difficult to find on a Jeep trail, so I turned around and took the long way around the pass. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I drove a QX60 rental last week. It would be a great soccer mom car. As an SUV, it kind of sucked. We were going to go over Ophir Pass and that truck wasn't going to make it. After a few miles, I turned around. The thing had no power and I wasn't positive that it had AWD: There were no manuals in the car. We forded a couple of streams and that seemed okay. On obstacles that needed high clearance, the car would bottom out on both the front and rear end. The deal killer was we hit a steep incline, and I was flooring the engine and the car wasn't moving and the wheels weren't spinning - not good.I was at a spot where I could turn around which can be difficult to find on a Jeep trail, so I turned around and took the long way around the pass. 

You were planning on taking a QX60 over Ophir Pass?  You're an idiot.

That car is an AWD grocery getter, not an offroader.

• Like 1

You were planning on taking a QX60 over Ophir Pass?  You're an idiot.

That car is an AWD grocery getter, not an offroader.

Well, I turned around so there's that. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and had no problem with Engineer Pass and whatever those other Silverton to Ouray passes are called and although it was difficult (and I somewhat regretted it because of the Mesquite), it had no problem with Black Gap in Big Bend other than the tow hitch would drag. On the other hand, like I said, that QX60 sucks off-road and there is no way I would have made it. It isn't half the truck off-road that the Santa Fe is or the Grand Cherokee or Ford Bronco that I have owned in the past. I assume most manufacturers are moving away from off-road capability and towards soccer field parking lots, but I'm not so sure customers are aware. I may have kind of assumed it would be similar to a Pathfinder, but unless the Pathfinder has gone downhill, I was dead ass wrong.

Well, I turned around so there's that. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and had no problem with Engineer Pass and whatever those other Silverton to Ouray passes are called and although it was difficult (and I somewhat regretted it because of the Mesquite), it had no problem with Black Gap in Big Bend other than the tow hitch would drag. On the other hand, like I said, that QX60 sucks off-road and there is no way I would have made it. It isn't half the truck off-road that the Santa Fe is or the Grand Cherokee or Ford Bronco that I have owned in the past. I assume most manufacturers are moving away from off-road capability and towards soccer field parking lots, but I'm not so sure customers are aware. I may have kind of assumed it would be similar to a Pathfinder, but unless the Pathfinder has gone downhill, I was dead ass wrong.

Yeah, it's not meant to be an offroader, dipshit. The low ground clearance, lack of low range, and all season tires should have tipped you off.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, royiv said:

Sounds like your cock isn't big enough.  The Q50 requires a large, heavy cock to help the tall driver sink down and forward in the seat.  Thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, it's not meant to be an offroader, dipshit. The low ground clearance, lack of low range, and all season tires should have tipped you off.

All these things are glorified station wagons.  I'm surprised the Santa Fe is worth a fuck.  None should be mentioned in the same sentence as a Cherokee or Bronco, even the shitass Bronco II.

"SUV" is code for family truckster now, especially "crossover SUV" as applied to the QX60.  It's kind of insulting to apply the term to anything with off-road capability, even a Subaru.

Surprised it wouldn't go though.  It's not severely underpowered.  If it weren't for ECUs, I'd suspect some kind of altitude issue and that may be possible even with an ECU.

Just looked at the Infiniti lineup.  Their engines are a tad anemic for their displacement, which is kind of surprising, because that 3.5 V6 was one of the original hot V6s not so long ago.  When Mercedes' 3.0 TTV6 makes 10% more hp, you've kind of got problems.

Edited by TwiceHorn

30 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Tahoe, Escalade, Yukon, Suburban, Expedition, Navigator, QX80, Armada, Wrangler, GX, LX, G-Wagon, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Sequoia.

That's all I got. Anything else?

Curious about the Mercedes G-Class and the now discontinued FJ Cruiser. I doubt anyone uses the Mercedes off-road so maybe it just looks utility. And, I can't imagine a Suburban or Escalade being useful on a Jeep trail because of their size. They are on truck chassis for towing shit but probably don't have much off-road capabilities off the showroom floor. And for my vacation, picking from Emerald Aisle, I guess the best choice for 3 people would have been one of the King Cabs as long as it was AWD/4WD.

Edited by Bevo

What's the big draw with Infiniti?   They are nothing but rebadged Nissan vehicles with every model they offer  from what I can tell.   At least the other auto makers who do the same try to make tweaks here and there to make them look a tad different from each other to where the person who doesn't have an eye for detail might not get the Caddy SUV  they are driving is the same thing as the Chevy Traverse. Or they at least have an offering or two which they don't offer with a sister brand.     I have two neighbors down the street who have the newer versions of the QX 80 and Armada  and they look like the same dang thing save the badge work.   

55 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

What's the big draw with Infiniti?   They are nothing but rebadged Nissan vehicles with every model they offer  from what I can tell.   At least the other auto makers who do the same try to make tweaks here and there to make them look a tad different from each other to where the person who doesn't have an eye for detail might not get the Caddy SUV  they are driving is the same thing as the Chevy Traverse. Or they at least have an offering or two which they don't offer with a sister brand.     I have two neighbors down the street who have the newer versions of the QX 80 and Armada  and they look like the same dang thing save the badge work.   

Yep the 2019 Maxima looks exactly like the same class Infiniti and probably costs within spitting distance. It's increasingly a Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra thing it seems.

All that said, I've owned 4 Nissans-- altimas and muranos-- and an Infiniti and think they are great values and have never had issues with reliability and have liked the interiors and ride.

Edited by Rougarou

I guess the newest version of the Altima uses a few styling cues that are found in the Q50, they're still very obviously different cars in pretty much every way. The RWD vs AWD platform alone is a massive difference. To say they are the same is ridiculous.

The big draw to Infiniti has always been bang for your buck. You can get a good looking, reliable, relatively sporty sedan for significantly less than a BMW/Mercedes/Audi. There are obviously trade-offs, but not enough for most to care.

The QX80 and the Armada are most definitely the same vehicle though with the exception of nicer interior on the Infiniti.

Edited by Okie State

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Curious about the Mercedes G-Class and the now discontinued FJ Cruiser. I doubt anyone uses the Mercedes off-road so maybe it just looks utility. And, I can't imagine a Suburban or Escalade being useful on a Jeep trail because of their size. They are on truck chassis for towing shit but probably don't have much off-road capabilities off the showroom floor. And for my vacation, picking from Emerald Aisle, I guess the best choice for 3 people would have been one of the King Cabs as long as it was AWD/4WD.

Apparently the G-Class is a capable off-roader, but just like Range Rover buyers...nobody is taking them off-road.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yep the 2019 Maxima looks exactly like the same class Infiniti and probably costs within spitting distance. It's increasingly a Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra thing it seems.

All that said, I've owned 4 Nissans-- altimas and muranos-- and an Infiniti and think they are great values and have never had issues with reliability and have liked the interiors and ride.

Sounds about right.   I've noticed an uptick in Infinitis around here and other metro areas here in Texas.      Nissan is good at being ahead of the curve on a number of things, but I have to wonder why they let their grip slip on the small pick ups they produce?   They were giving Toyota a run for their money back in the 80's and 90's in that  market.

None the less, my wife is wanting a luxury SUV when it comes time to trade in the Honda Pilot she now drives.  We will be close to empty nest status meaning it won't be a family hauler, so she now wants to look at all the luxury brands like MB, Volvo,  etc.   We will have to keep Infiniti in mind too.  Personally and I thought I'd never say this, but I like the Volvos.  

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

how many legitimate SUV -- body-on-frame trucks -- are there still on the market?

Not many, that's for sure.  Most folks don't give a shit about offroading.  They want to sit up high to have a better view of traffic and they want AWD for when the weather gets shitty.  Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan and Jeep are really the only manufacturers who still care about offroading.

43 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I guess the newest version of the Altima uses a few styling cues that are found in the Q50, they're still very obviously different cars in pretty much every way. The RWD vs AWD platform alone is a massive difference. To say they are the same is ridiculous.

The big draw to Infiniti has always been bang for your buck. You can get a good looking, reliable, relatively sporty sedan for significantly less than a BMW/Mercedes/Audi. There are obviously trade-offs, but not enough for most to care.

The QX80 and the Armada are most definitely the same vehicle though with the exception of nicer interior on the Infiniti.

Sorry, meant RWD vs FWD.

Also, if you think an Altima or Maxima look like a Q50, I'm not sure how you could not think a Passat looks like an A4 or a Camry looks like an ES350.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We have a QX80.  Probably would have purchased an Armada if it wasn't for that ridiculous 2 tone exterior paint job.  There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.  But the wife wanted the Infiniti so that's what she got.

35 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Apparently the G-Class is a capable off-roader, but just like Range Rover buyers...nobody is taking them off-road.

Yep.  It was originally designed as a military vehicle and is very capable offroad, but they are so expensive nobody actually takes them offroad.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Sounds about right.   I've noticed an uptick in Infinitis around here and other metro areas here in Texas.      Nissan is good at being ahead of the curve on a number of things, but I have to wonder why they let their grip slip on the small pick ups they produce?   They were giving Toyota a run for their money back in the 80's and 90's in that  market.

None the less, my wife is wanting a luxury SUV when it comes time to trade in the Honda Pilot she now drives.  We will be close to empty nest status meaning it won't be a family hauler, so she now wants to look at all the luxury brands like MB, Volvo,  etc.   We will have to keep Infiniti in mind too.  Personally and I thought I'd never say this, but I like the Volvos.  

One thing I liked about the Infiniti is that it didn't have all those annoying warnings when driving. It had a useful backup camera and indicator light if someone was in your blind spot. The comfort was great. It was underpowered but not annoying so on freeway driving (off-road was a whole nother story and like someone mentioned before, maybe it had something to do with the altitude). But remember, I didn't have to deal with traffic and passing people, I was just kind of cruising about 10mi above the 75mph speed limit. I have heard (but not experienced), the Volvo has all those annoying warnings, self-driving, self-parking shit that I think would drive me crazy. I want to look at the Volvo when it is time to purchase again. I also heard Genesis is introducing a luxury SUV that I will check out as well. Personally, I am in the same boat as you, and I would like to get a smaller SUV that is luxurious but still has some off-road capabilities and plenty of power. I don't want a big 3rd row seating type thing anymore.

Edited by Bevo

On 7/5/2019 at 10:14 AM, Gator Dave said:

I've had the 3.0 a couple times for a loaner when the wife's car is in for service.  Really liked my old G37x, and the turbo powerplant is a nice upgrade over my old 3.7 V6.

21 hours ago, Bevo said:

One thing I liked about the Infiniti is that it didn't have all those annoying warnings when driving. It had a useful backup camera and indicator light if someone was in your blind spot. The comfort was great. It was underpowered but not annoying so on freeway driving (off-road was a whole nother story and like someone mentioned before, maybe it had something to do with the altitude). But remember, I didn't have to deal with traffic and passing people, I was just kind of cruising about 10mi above the 75mph speed limit. I have heard (but not experienced), the Volvo has all those annoying warnings, self-driving, self-parking shit that I think would drive me crazy. I want to look at the Volvo when it is time to purchase again. I also heard Genesis is introducing a luxury SUV that I will check out as well. Personally, I am in the same boat as you, and I would like to get a smaller SUV that is luxurious but still has some off-road capabilities and plenty of power. I don't want a big 3rd row seating type thing anymore.

We will take a look at what Infinity offers when the time comes in a few years to make the move on something new.  

I really do like the Volvo SUV's.   Funny I say this because  I always associated Volvos as being an older folks type of car and here we are possibly looking at one as middle age Gen Xer's.