Watermelon

Errestaurants

My grandfather was a cotton farmer in Toyah (17 miles west of pecos). He always had fields of cantaloupe and several varieties of watermelon. Used to spend my summers there working and playing. Mostly playing... but we’d stop off in a field on breaks and bust a watermelon, eat the heart. Rinse and repeat. 

I’m afraid I’m ruined for life though. Can’t seem to find a watermelon as good as those were. Don’t know if it’s nostalgia or not, but melons today just aren’t as good. 

And yellow meat melons for the f’n win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4HE said:

My grandfather was a cotton farmer in Toyah (17 miles west of pecos). He always had fields of cantaloupe and several varieties of watermelon. Used to spend my summers there working and playing. Mostly playing... but we’d stop off in a field on breaks and bust a watermelon, eat the heart. Rinse and repeat. 

I’m afraid I’m ruined for life though. Can’t seem to find a watermelon as good as those were. Don’t know if it’s nostalgia or not, but melons today just aren’t as good. 

And yellow meat melons for the f’n win. 

Pecos cantaloupes ftw.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the yellow meat love. I have never had one I would describe as particularly sweet.

I tend to prefer the varieties with darker rinds, though if you offer me a Charleston Gray, I am not going to say no.

I grew some golden honeydew melons a couple of years ago, and those were delicious. Hybrids, though, so saving the seeds did nothing for me. I was a little surprised that their genetic descendants were cantaloupe, not honeydew, but then, I'm an amateur gardener, not a botanist.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I grew some golden honeydew melons a couple of years ago, and those were delicious. Hybrids, though, so saving the seeds did nothing for me. I was a little surprised that their genetic descendants were cantaloupe, not honeydew, but then, I'm an amateur gardener, not a botanist.

I need to know the reasoning behind this.

Love yellow meat watermelons. If you can find an Israel cantaloupe do yourself a favor and buy several. The meat is about the same color as an apple and the flavor is 10X that of regular cantaloupes. The only place I have ever found them are at roadside vendors.  

• Like 2

Give me the yellow meat all day. Grew up on it andlove it.

Speaking of honeydew, do people not generally like it? I love it but none of my friends do at all.

I like honeydews but can’t stand regular cantaloupe since I find them to be sickly sweet. However, I do like the Sugar Kiss variety.

17 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Give me the yellow meat all day. Grew up on it andlove it.

Speaking of honeydew, do people not generally like it? I love it but none of my friends do at all.

Honeydew is like Redheads. They are either 10s or 2s...nothing in between. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...