Puerto Vallarta

troph

Anyone else going here? We are on our last night of our second trip alone and bringing the kids here in 3 weeks. Love the old Mexico center, the size of it, infrastructure is great (you can drink the water and power is more reliable), and the Pacific of course. We just got back from a day trip to Yelapa, and are finding this to be very much our speed. Planning a fourth trip this fall with some friends too. Anyone else coming down here?

Headed there Saturday for a week with the wife and kids.  I haven’t had a chance to do any research about anything, but saw Yelapa this morning reading somewhere.  My kids learned how to snorkel a couple nights ago in the pool, so we might try to do that somewhere.  I’m not a big snorkel fan, but my wife is and it looks like my kids are going to be.  Otherwise, I have no clue what we’re going to get into next week.  Just hoping the weather will be nice.  

We went there almost every summer when I was a kid. Dad bought a timeshare down there on the stretch near Camino Real which is now the Hyatt Ziva. If you want a really nice dinner with a view, go to Le Cliff. It's right on the ocean to the south near Los Arcos. Snorking at Los Arcos is supposed to be fun. There used to a restaurant up in the hills overlooking downtown. I think it's called El Panorama. If it's still there the view is nice, especially at sunset. 

On 7/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, troph said:

Anyone else going here? We are on our last night of our second trip alone and bringing the kids here in 3 weeks. Love the old Mexico center, the size of it, infrastructure is great (you can drink the water and power is more reliable), and the Pacific of course. We just got back from a day trip to Yelapa, and are finding this to be very much our speed. Planning a fourth trip this fall with some friends too. Anyone else coming down here?

Where do you all stay?  Closer to town or at one of the AI type of hotels further out.

Personally I think the AI's in Mexico and the Caribbean for the matter are overrated, but they serve their purpose I guess...  I'd rather stay closer to the towns or in town for that matter to enjoy the old Mexico charm.  Plus you can eat whatever you want and on the cheap too if you choose.  Maybe the exception to this in Mexico is Cabo?   We haven't been to Cabo yet, but are planning to make a trip sometime next year.  At least from the outside looking in,    Cabo seems more modern and void of the Mexican charm which other tourist areas have retained or at least tried to in someways although places like Playa Del Carmen are slowly losing it to rapid commercialization (5th avenue is nothing but an outdoor mall now with international brands) .  Folks have told me you can basically take in what old type of culture the  lower Baja has in short time at least in San Lucas.    You can stay or go visit San Jose del Cabo up the road to get more if that is your desire.  We haven't decided where to stay, but it might be one of these trips the AI resort fits the needs.  

With respect to Puerto Vallarta, I haven't been in 20+ years, but it's on the list for the next 6 months.  We are scoping out places in Mexico for a second home / transition into retirement by working remotely (which I can do from anywhere).  So many of our gay friends in Dallas swear by it  that we need to check it out even if we are already leaning towards San Miguel de Allende.  The infrastructure does sound right for what I need, plus it accessible and on the water.  And by all accounts, it is a lot of fun and still charming.

Nueces, you are right about Cabo.  We have been several times.  While the nightlife in Cabo proper may be what some people want, it was trashy and not for us.  Cabo was built for tourists and has absolutely no authentic Mexican charm (that being said, the Office restaurant on the beach is fun and the views from houses on Pedragal are amazing). That is the only reason we would go back.  We did do a high end adults only AI (Secrets) a few years near San Jose del Cabo and it met our needs for that particular vacation: beautiful resort, great pools and no stress drinking.  We took a taxi into San Jose del Cabo one day and it does have some colonial charm (not like the Silver Cities, but ok).  There are plenty of art galleries and all that, but it was worth only a few hours and some beers with perfect guacamole and chips on the square.  In and around San Jose, you are also near Flora Farms, which is also a really nice escape from the resort.

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

With respect to Puerto Vallarta, I haven't been in 20+ years, but it's on the list for the next 6 months.  We are scoping out places in Mexico for a second home / transition into retirement by working remotely (which I can do from anywhere).  So many of our gay friends in Dallas swear by it  that we need to check it out even if we are already leaning towards San Miguel de Allende.  The infrastructure does sound right for what I need, plus it accessible and on the water.  And by all accounts, it is a lot of fun and still charming.

Nueces, you are right about Cabo.  We have been several times.  While the nightlife in Cabo proper may be what some people want, it was trashy and not for us.  Cabo was built for tourists and has absolutely no authentic Mexican charm (that being said, the Office restaurant on the beach is fun and the views from houses on Pedragal are amazing). That is the only reason we would go back.  We did do a high end adults only AI (Secrets) a few years near San Jose del Cabo and it met our needs for that particular vacation: beautiful resort, great pools and no stress drinking.  We took a taxi into San Jose del Cabo one day and it does have some colonial charm (not like the Silver Cities, but ok).  There are plenty of art galleries and all that, but it was worth only a few hours and some beers with perfect guacamole and chips on the square.  In and around San Jose, you are also near Flora Farms, which is also a really nice escape from the resort.

I read up on the Flora Farms and it looks like a ton of fun.   That's why I think we will stay closer to San Jose Del Cabo if not right in town somewhere so we can go to Flora a few times if we want.   The Cabo nightlife thing can probably be a one evening thing to check out and be done with it and really my wife and I are kind of ho hum about that sort of thing anyway as we've been there and done that so to speak as we are both in our upper 40's.   Like you, if I can't get a good deep cultural experience, I might as well book the AI and enjoy it.  

BTW nice Lab you have for avatar pic.  I have a girl Lab that looks just like yours.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

LOVE Vallarta.

The al pastor torta at Pancho’s is one my most favorite at things ever.

Also, most mornings, there is a really old lady on the sidewalk of Josefa Ortíz Domínguez, near Calle Guadalupe’s Sanchez and .  This lady sells tamales and they will change your life.

ETA:  We stayed at Garza Blanca, but opted out of the all inclusive option.  Phenomenal service and the views were incredible.

Edited by scottsins

I had a post drafted and lost it but the al pastor tacos at panchos tacos may be the best ever.

So far we’ve stayed in the super homo romantic zone. I like the hoods just south though.

Yelapa is legit and so is los Arcos and the beaches south. Private boat or charter instead of water taxi imo. If you do Yelapa go out of Boca de tomatalán. 20 min Car ride then a 30 min boat ride.

They have Uber for crying out loud.

Road trip to the north is super fun. Sayulita amd San Pancho. Rent a car and go. Stop at the tiny ghost towns along the way.

Old town is great and it’s what the Yucatán wish it had for a mid sized city.

We too are considering a second home here. $300k gets you in and $750k gets you ridiculous 3000 sq ft unobstructed bay views in posh condo complexes.

It’s totally livable there, Costco, grocery stores you name it.

Tons of expats there.

Pics from recent trips for anyone considering going ...

Yelapa

4d0413db901c125117949699e41a94d9.jpg

189f3d73581a964dd1ba1855da6a771d.jpg

Beach on the way to Yelapa

661d33e91837523130ff7022ca38c5b9.jpg

Boca

cb7149633395ea3d32bf5ed08da39d2f.jpg

Beach iguana and my ladyfriend

f355501c2da13cf09f7b1503c4c7fcd2.jpg

Typical sunset

e0c265d2c507f02afd224077caf07d38.jpg

View to the south, reminiscent of big sur

51b725665a842f28a3ed8f75836d72cf.jpg

Small town up toward Sayulita.

8268aef9642e6cd06d17a12735dd56a2.jpg

Sayulita surfers

9e890e5269c6d2c104ba3aaa2fe8930e.jpg

View of old town from our balcony.

1b3e82837bef1b0d6d216bb7be56d326.jpg

Where do you all stay?  Closer to town or at one of the AI type of hotels further out.

Personally I think the AI's in Mexico and the Caribbean for the matter are overrated, but they serve their purpose I guess...  I'd rather stay closer to the towns or in town for that matter to enjoy the old Mexico charm.  Plus you can eat whatever you want and on the cheap too if you choose.  Maybe the exception to this in Mexico is Cabo?   We haven't been to Cabo yet, but are planning to make a trip sometime next year.  At least from the outside looking in,    Cabo seems more modern and void of the Mexican charm which other tourist areas have retained or at least tried to in someways although places like Playa Del Carmen are slowly losing it to rapid commercialization (5th avenue is nothing but an outdoor mall now with international brands) .  Folks have told me you can basically take in what old type of culture the  lower Baja has in short time at least in San Lucas.    You can stay or go visit San Jose del Cabo up the road to get more if that is your desire.  We haven't decided where to stay, but it might be one of these trips the AI resort fits the needs.  

We see eye to eye on these things. I won’t even do AI with my kids (9, 11 and 14). Culture and stories are what matter. The water taxi to Yelapa was miserable on the way back but I’ve got my story.

PV has legit charm and historical value. We stayed in the Romantic zone because our people (gays) basically own that place but our preference is just outside of that to the south, a 3 minute Uber ride to where our friends and the action is.

Up north seems to posh and too quiet.

Oh and they have like three tennis clubs too counting the four seasons up north. Then another hotel and a local one not connected with a resort. That’s a big deal for me.

It’s probably going to be a top 3 second home option for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Fishing is pretty damn good too. Second best day I’ve had was there. Taking my boys marlin fishing out of PV in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

Yep.  One of my top 10 life moments was catching a dorado, and then having the crew chop it up to make ceviche right there on the boat.

• Like 1

Has the cartel shit mellowed out around there? Old school Mexico is the best Mexico. But I don't want my head in a duffel bag.

Expats I talked to - I talked to only a couple of them - said nothings going on in PV.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RPM said:

Has the cartel shit mellowed out around there? Old school Mexico is the best Mexico. But I don't want my head in a duffel bag.

Everything I can find suggests PV is pretty much on the "mellow side" of the cartel activity and never has really been part of the mess.   That's been reserved for Acapulco on the Pacific coast.  And that's really a shame because Acapulco used to be THE vacation destination in Mexico for Norte Americanos until Cancun and Cabo were developed.  I've never been there, but my in laws used to have a Timeshare there which they sold before the crap hit the fan in that area.  Shame we didn't make it down at least once while they had it.  

On the other hand,  the Rivera Maya (aka Cancun, Playa and Tulum) has really seen an uptick in cartel violence and it's reared itself in some of the tourist areas.  This is on top of massive sargassum/sea weed issues which is making the beaches unbearable.   We were there a few summers ago when they had the first round of this sargassum invasion and it was beyond horrible.  

11 hours ago, scottsins said:

LOVE Vallarta.

Also, most mornings, there is a really old lady on the sidewalk of Josefa Ortíz Domínguez, near Calle Guadalupe’s Sanchez and .  This lady sells tamales and they will change your life.

ETA:  We stayed at Garza Blanca, but opted out of the all inclusive option.  Phenomenal service and the views were incredible.

Garza Blanca is one of the places I've been looking at for a stay.    Costco Travel has a pretty good package with them.  It's a little ways out from town, but it doesn't look like your typical AI.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

Everything I can find suggests PV is pretty much on the "mellow side" of the cartel activity and never has really been part of the mess.   That's been reserved for Acapulco on the Pacific coast.  And that's really a shame because Acapulco used to be THE vacation destination in Mexico for Norte Americanos until Cancun and Cabo were developed.  I've never been there, but my in laws used to have a Timeshare there which they sold before the crap hit the fan in that area.  Shame we didn't make it down at least once while they had it.  
On the other hand,  the Rivera Maya (aka Cancun, Playa and Tulum) has really seen an uptick in cartel violence and it's reared itself in some of the tourist areas.  This is on top of massive sargassum/sea weed issues which is making the beaches unbearable.   We were there a few summers ago when they had the first round of this sargassum invasion and it was beyond horrible.  

I keep seeing pics of folks on my fb feed who are going there and they snap their photos and post them and in the back ground you can still see piles of seaweed. We were in the area for our Holbox trip this summer and the smell was putrid. Holbox was unaffected. We had a trip planned to Tulum a year ago and diverted the day before to Isla. No issues. But we’re done with QR for now. It’s just a complete mess.

Yeah, I was thinking Acapulco. Realized I f'd up when I searched Wide World of Sports Cliff diving. 

A related not so cool story Bro... My Dad and his 3rd wife took his RV down to PV in the early 90's. She flew back for whatever reason that had to be done at home and left him alone. 3rd night she's gone somebody comes in the RV around 3am. Dad says "Glinda?" They say "Glinda's not here old man."

The next sounds heard were from a Ruger 38 special. AB would be proud.

Dad ran LCVP at Iwo Jima. You think a couple of Mexicans were going to jump him? Replacing the windshield was cheap.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did PV two years ago and stayed at the Hyatt Ziva.  Best beach at that hotel anywhere.  The town is really awesome and felt safe the whole time there with our kids.  Snorkeling at the Arc was good too.  I wold recommend the place.  Hotel Ziva was ok, but the beach was awesome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Yeah, I was thinking Acapulco. Realized I f'd up when I searched Wide World of Sports Cliff diving. 

A related not so cool story Bro... My Dad and his 3rd wife took his RV down to PV in the early 90's. She flew back for whatever reason that had to be done at home and left him alone. 3rd night she's gone somebody comes in the RV around 3am. Dad says "Glinda?" They say "Glinda's not here old man."

The next sounds heard were from a Ruger 38 special. AB would be proud.

Dad ran LCVP at Iwo Jima. You think a couple of Mexicans were going to jump him? Replacing the windshield was cheap.

I spent a month in Acapulco after bar exam in 2003.  First three weeks were just me and my best friend.  Hardly any Americans there.  Man we are lucky we didn’t get killed the places we went and the taxis we rode in.  Or died from food poisoning from all the food we ate from street vendors   That shit was good   

We ended up quasi dating these hot rich girls from Monterey for two of those weeks   Man it was fun   

Last week a bunch of friends joined us and we rented a badass house in old Acapulco overlooking the Pacific and bay that used to be owned by Gloria Gaynor.  Don’t know if this is true but the owner said told us JFK and Jackie honeymooned at the house next door.  Our rental was cheap and had great service.  Every time I’d get close to finishing a beer the staff would appear out of nowhere and give us a fresh one.  I think we paid like maybe $400 a night for that huge house.  

One night around 3 in the morning me and my buddy went to the Oxxo down the street to buy more Pacifico.  I walked in just my swimsuit and this Mexican family with young kids starts asking me if they could take a picture with me.  This was before camera phones.  I’m 6’3” and was in great shape and very tan at that point.  They thought I was David Hasselhoff.  I don’t know what a Mexican family with little kids was doing at the convenience store at 3 in the morning.  

We went back in 2004 with a group of 25 and rented a big ass mansion that cost nothing per person. Had so much fun.  Rented a yacht for the 4th.  

I couldn’t get over how cheap shit was.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

Love PV and have been to all the major resort towns many time over the last 20 years.   Hyatt Ziva is great if you are looking for AI.   Best private beach in PV.  Los Veranos is the best canopy  tour in Mexico.  Long runs that go through the mountains and across a river.  You can swim in the river when you have finished the zip lines.  There is now a boat option to get to Los Veranos that I highly recommend that gives you outstanding views of PV from the ocean.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don’t know what a Mexican family with little kids was doing at the convenience store at 3 in the morning.  

Someone hasn't made any drunk runs to Walmart at 3am lately. That's apparently the best time to take your kids to Walmart.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scottsins said:

LOVE Vallarta.

+1 on Garza Blanca. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back again this week with the kids ... this place continues to grow on me. The sunset was spectacular today after an early evening rain storm, and cooled the place off quite a bit. Panchos tacos... ftmfw.

9d5ac0356e6bab91a6183a974ff2a66d.jpg3726cdf0c06de888eb2331d09712ea69.jpg1c6486b19f3ecd2eaca12141d6a23ddd.jpg

5c4933629d75e042227be92ace2662ae.jpg

We sat at the bar of a restaurant with this cute as can be lesbian from Mexico City today, we met her last time. She wants us to come meet her girlfriend for tacos and drinks tomorrow. I think it’s a get together with others.

One of our friends that lives here and is recently divorced invited us to an expat lesbian get together for Thursday night.

It’s pretty cool getting to know folks down here.

• Hook 'Em 1

stayed 3 nights in a villa at the four seasons in punta mita.  i echo the above review on punta mita.  way too quiet.  it's a nice if you want to get away from everything, do nothing, relax, and eat, but there's not much else to do.  we didn't go into sayulita. wish we would've.  the resort was "full" but it was not busy at all.  water is nice and warm.  snorkeling off the beach was nice.  it's the rainy season so every day it would rain from a little to a whole fucking lot with lightning everywhere around and up in your ass.  sunsets were amazing, but any pacific sunset is amazing.

view from villa.

PANO-20190720-194554-vr.jpg

sunsets on the beach.

IMG-20190720-211537.jpg

IMG-20190721-205155.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We love PV but now when we go down there, it's straight to Sayulita.

Villa Amor in Sayulita is pretty luxurious, and expensive, but I love it.

Headed back there in Oct.

It's a perfect long weekend getaway as it's a 2.5hr plane ride from Scottsdale.  

• 2 weeks later...

following now - my wife wants to take our family there later this summer. never been but looks like a blast and already craving those tacos. likely taking our 2 boys (8 and 2, along with at least one set of grandparents to help with the little one). 

3 hours ago, Mez2 said:

following now - my wife wants to take our family there later this summer. never been but looks like a blast and already craving those tacos. likely taking our 2 boys (8 and 2, along with at least one set of grandparents to help with the little one). 

Just beware that rainy season is July - September. It doesn't rain all day every day, but is overcast and usually rains once a day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Reporting back from my trip:

The place is awesome and will be an annual trip for us. Seriously like the idea of retiring there. 

Le Kliff is about a 40 minute cab ride but it is fanfuckingtastic.

We were there the week before Pride. It was already building. We took a private boat ride for four hours. Captain took us along the shore, caught a skipjack and made ceviche. Told us all about the buildings we saw along the way and was just a cool dude. He was telling us about pride "Next week, Pride. Ten thousand mans. Ten thousand gay mans".

My GF asked him if he would be busy. "No, not for me. They don't like to fish. Only drink and party and do drugs and dance".

Stayed at Secrets. Its a really nice facility and the food was fine but we didn't use much all inclusive and will probably stick to boutiques or AirBnB from here on out.

Snapped this photo while walking around one day. It was near the hotel. Never made it in but their advertising team needs a raise.

IMG_20210522_192050916.thumb.jpg.bd5267d89d4aee4c48ba4513312c1e0c.jpg

Stayed at Barcelo in Mismaloya about 30 minutes south of PV right by jungle where Predator was filmed & near great zip lining. Really enjoyed visiting the little bar in fishing village next door & then walking out to point & getting baked during sunset. No tourists around but this was around 12 yrs ago   

image.jpeg.4313d2eb68c1889c3412c0b83899f331.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

we booked Rosita Hotel...it's an older/simpler hotel but recently remodeled, supposed to be right on a nice beach but in the middle of old-town as well.

the group we're traveling with this trip tends to prefer more local/authentic (and usually much cheaper lol) experiences. i mean...it was $66/night for an ocean view balcony! 😁 

Edited by mchookem

• 6 months later...

bump...we leave next week, somehow this trip just snuck up on us! 

changed hotels...our expat friends did some recon earlier in the year and thought the Rosita was a bit too stark...but still got an ocean front room for <$100/night 😊

only excursions planned are a whale-watching boat ride and maybe a visit to Sayulita, but mostly i'm looking to just enjoy the sand and surf 😎

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

bump...we leave next week, somehow this trip just snuck up on us! 

changed hotels...our expat friends did some recon earlier in the year and thought the Rosita was a bit too stark...but still got an ocean front room for <$100/night 😊

only excursions planned are a whale-watching boat ride and maybe a visit to Sayulita, but mostly i'm looking to just enjoy the sand and surf 😎

just curious about Sayulita....you surfing or wandering around?

On 6/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, Orange&White said:

Reporting back from my trip:

The place is awesome and will be an annual trip for us. Seriously like the idea of retiring there. 

Le Kliff is about a 40 minute cab ride but it is fanfuckingtastic.

We were there the week before Pride. It was already building. We took a private boat ride for four hours. Captain took us along the shore, caught a skipjack and made ceviche. Told us all about the buildings we saw along the way and was just a cool dude. He was telling us about pride "Next week, Pride. Ten thousand mans. Ten thousand gay mans".

My GF asked him if he would be busy. "No, not for me. They don't like to fish. Only drink and party and do drugs and dance".

Stayed at Secrets. Its a really nice facility and the food was fine but we didn't use much all inclusive and will probably stick to boutiques or AirBnB from here on out.

Snapped this photo while walking around one day. It was near the hotel. Never made it in but their advertising team needs a raise.

IMG_20210522_192050916.thumb.jpg.bd5267d89d4aee4c48ba4513312c1e0c.jpg

I thought the food at Le Kliff was ok but the views are stellar… not a fan of la palapa either.  We have a rule that the better the view the more mediocre the food. The city spots for food are imo often better. 

A55CCCBA-5A72-43C4-A919-4DF9240CE589.jpeg

Edited by troph