Grilled Cheese: from the very basic to the very not basic

Came home for lunch today and grabbed some leftover beef rib.  My youngest daughter stopped me and claimed it for her grilled cheese sandwich.  Whether or not it is considered a grilled cheese or a beef rib sandwich will melted cheese, it sounds pretty damn good.  Same daughter gives me a daily countdown to football season.

Best I ever had was made for me in Ottawa.

2 huge slices of fresh sourdough from one of those round loaves.

Butter covering every bit of bread on both sides.

Sharp cheddar, Gouda, and Gruyere...again covering every bit of bread.

1 pound of Montreal Smoked Meat

Grilled to perfection.  A greasy, cheesy, meaty masterpiece.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it may have been garlic butter.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Texaskimo said:

Grilled cheese and brisket or brisket melt, who gives a fuck. Either name is descriptive so anyone ordering it knows what they are getting, so having a strong opinion about one being "right" and one being "wrong" makes you an asshole.

tenor.gif?itemid=10266363

• 2 weeks later...

The "Official" grilled cheese recipe from Chef is now up on their (new?) website

https://thechefshow.com/recipes/grilled-cheese

INGREDIENTS

• 2 slices sourdough bread
  • 1 slice gruyere
  • 1 slice Parmesan
  • 1 slice yellow cheddar
  • 1 slice white cheddar
  • Softened unsalted butter, for brushing
  • Olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Baste bread slices on one side with butter. 
  2. Drizzle olive oil on medium-hot griddle.
  3. Put buttered bread slices on griddle (butter side down).
  4. Add cheeses on one bread slice and move bread around on griddle as cheese melts. 
  5. Check color of bread slices - when golden brown, join bread. 
  6. Butter top of sandwich lightly again, flip, butter new top of sandwich. Keep moving sandwich around on griddle for 4 - 5 min.
  7. Keep checking for bread color, it’s easy to burn.
  8. Lightly baste bread with more butter and enjoy!

Personally, I love Kenji's basic grilled cheese (process link)- the toasting on both sides was a game changer for me that I can't believe I hadn't done before. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

The "Official" grilled cheese recipe from Chef is now up on their (new?) website

https://thechefshow.com/recipes/grilled-cheese

Personally, I love Kenji's basic grilled cheese (process link)- the toasting on both sides was a game changer for me that I can't believe I hadn't done before. 

Wow never thought about that.

Will try and I love to use this bread right here......

spacer.png

• Like 1

My phone was dead at the time, so no pictures, but I had a sandwich today in Saxapahaw at The Eddy Pub that blew my sox off. Carolina hoop cheddar on buttered sourdough, with garlic, minced ancho peppers, onions, and a drizzle of olive oil. The oil was the only thing from more than 100 miles away. And the pub overlooks the Haw river.

Austin has food and views like that, but College Station sure as fuck doesn't.  I can't believe it took me this long to make this move.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

mentioned upthread that i am a big fan of the basic, cheap white bread and chez grilled cheese sandwich, but did one for lunch today  with havarti, swiss, and white american on black rye.  damn good.

spacer.png

The prefered nomenclature is "African-American Rye."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ridiculously, I set out to make a pastrami swiss on rye the other day.  Plucked out the bread, slathered with mustard, aaaanddd no more pastrami.  And no other meats handy.

So I went ahead, put some extra swiss on the bread and threw it in the skillet with some butter.  Pretty tasty.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, Jack Straw said:

mentioned upthread that i am a big fan of the basic, cheap white bread and chez grilled cheese sandwich, but did one for lunch today  with havarti, swiss, and white american on black rye.  damn good.

spacer.png

Your dog does not look impressed.

Maybe he thinks the rye is a bit burnt.

13 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Does anyone like to put sliced roma or heirloom tomato on their grilled cheese while grilling?

We took our honeymoon in Antigua and discovered that grilled cheese with tomato is big on that island.  From that time on, I've been a fan of this addition to the grilled cheese sammich.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, Jack Straw said:

spacer.png

jack, i feel like at this point, your dog has become integrated as one of the pillars of the food & travel board's traditions and you should give us a name to further enhance our enjoyment of your pics.

20 hours ago, sidis said:

jack, i feel like at this point, your dog has become integrated as one of the pillars of the food & travel board's traditions and you should give us a name to further enhance our enjoyment of your pics.

her name is Quinn.  hard to believe she is 5 years old now - time flies.  what cracks me up is how serious/somber she looks in most of these pictures - she is a total spaz and i constantly have to remind myself that someday she will slow down and i will look back and miss all this energy.

15 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

her name is Quinn.  hard to believe she is 5 years old now - time flies.  what cracks me up is how serious/somber she looks in most of these pictures - she is a total spaz and i constantly have to remind myself that someday she will slow down and i will look back and miss all this energy.

Come on without. Come on within. 

I knew her name wasn't Shannon. 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:56 AM, Jack Straw said:

Lol my son’s middle name is Quin.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...