Grilled Cheese: from the very basic to the very not basic

14 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Homemade bread is definitely the best. Makes even a kale salad palatable. The cheese is swiss, which I usually don't go for, but every now and then, why the hell not?

grilled-swiss.PNG.67e6509b610a32d22a07aebfed11c022.PNG

I think Swiss is the best cheese for grilled cheese. Rich, buttery, stringy goodness. Mmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:28 AM, futureman said:

what’s your opinion on using mayo on the bread instead of butter to get that golden brown?  spreading mayo on instead of butter and frying that side of the bread.  I’ve never done it, and only became aware of it after reading it on a shaggy thread.  but apparently some people say it’s better, and not because they’re anti-butter.  they just say it’s better.

It is NOT better....my wife does it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deej said:

If you're in a hurry and don't already have some butter softened, it works in a pinch. 

Throw a pat of butter in the hot pan first. When it’s melted, add a slice of bread and swirl it around to get it coated. Then add your cheese and top it with another slice of bread. When the first side is toasted, lift it up, add another pat of butter, flip the sandwich and repeat the process. You’re better off letting the sliced/grated cheese warm to room temperature first instead of the butter. 

• Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Butter makes everything taste better 

This is absolutely true.  If you ever wonder why your recipe isn’t quite as good as your favorite restaurants the answer is very likely to be that they add butter. 

My tomato sauce game went way up once I started adding a good thick slice of butter to it. Everything from marinara to more complex stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is absolutely true.  If you ever wonder why your recipe isn’t quite as good as your favorite restaurants the answer is very likely to be that they add butter. 

My tomato sauce game went way up once I started adding a good thick slice of butter to it. Everything from marinara to more complex stuff. 

This is timely, we had some pepperoni leftover from making pizza.  My son made a grilled cheese with pepperoni and dipped it in marinara sauce.  Looked good enough for me to try.  Its like taking grilled cheese and tomato soup to another level.  

31 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ans Salt. Good salt, not table salt.  That was one of my first epiphanies cooking. And, in most cases you almost double the spices in a recipe if you're using dried spices, since you shit has probably been setting around for a hell of alot longer than a restaurants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Ans Salt. Good salt, not table salt.  That was one of my first epiphanies cooking. And, in most cases you almost double the spices in a recipe if you're using dried spices, since you shit has probably been setting around for a hell of alot longer than a restaurants. 

I also nearly always go heavier on the garlic. Very few things I cook that I don’t add double the garlic. And yeah, good salt is key, and not being afraid to use it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

One of my favorite feelings in the world is putting slightly less than a teaspoon of kosher salt in one hand, and then using my fingers to put it where it needs to go. 

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This. Finishing in the pan with sauce and a knob of butter took my pasta game up to 15. 

Tried a twist (for me) last week. David Chang’s Momufuku grilled cheese. Mayonnaise on the outside, butter on inside of bread, two slices of American cheese with a heathy slathering of chili crisp in between.

Fucking awesome.

No pics, sorry.

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

One of my favorite feelings in the world is putting slightly less than a teaspoon of kosher salt in one hand, and then using my fingers to put it where it needs to go. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Sam Lin