NBA Summer League thread

Goo Punch

RJ Barret is so overrated, might be a good players, but nothing extraordinary.  Duke would have won the title if he wasn't on the team as Zion would get 20 more touches.

Zion out for the summer, with yet another knee injury, something that will plague him due to his weight.  I see him averaging only 60-65 games a year over the next 12.

btw, the summer league is only 15 years old, but i don't recall the top picks participating so much. Is that a new trend? 

Yeah after his super inefficient showing at Duke everyone sort of assumed that the extra space in the NBA would allow Barrett to show us what he's fully capable of, but so far he's been suspect as fuck. Experts have lauded him for supposedly having a dynamic dribble drive game, but without any semblance of an outside shot that dribble drive game is nonexistent. 

I'm hoping the S&C team will get him tight but man that is not a good sign.   Not being in basketball shape is excusable.    Not being in shape at all isn't.

Edited by d2o

23 minutes ago, d2o said:

I'm hoping the S&C team will get him tight but man that is not a good sign.   Not being in basketball shape is excusable.    Not being in shape at all isn't.

he's going to have zero problem shredding any excess weight he has before his rookie season. he's 19 years old and his body is a machine that's capable of doing things that mere mortals could only dream of. if this was PTI and the subject was "big deal/little deal/no deal", this is a no-deal.

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

while playing ball all day at age 19.  I see Oliver Miller.  Dude is going to have lots of knee issues in his career. 

LMAO. "Oliver Miller." You don't think Charles Barkley gained some weight in the offseason between college and his rookie year? There's a reason that Zion didn't look like this when actually was playing basketball every day, and that was as a college student. Once it becomes his day to day job you really think he's going to balloon into Oliver Miller? What am I talking about, it's NowThis, of course you do. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

LMAO. "Oliver Miller." You don't think Charles Barkley gained some weight in the offseason between college and his rookie year? There's a reason that Zion didn't look like this when actually was playing basketball every day, and that was as a college student. Once it becomes his day to day job you really think he's going to balloon into Oliver Miller? What am I talking about, it's NowThis, of course you do. 

dude, run with it.. Metta World Feast as a commentator said.  A couple of extra tidbits -- what if Hayes has a better rookie year? Zion should have played DE at Clemson , be the #1 pick and he could probably have a longer career. 

I was the idiot that said in November Zion would be at best the third best player on Duke and that he was just a glorified dunker.  I deserved all the shit I got.  I think he is going to be fine.  Barring injuries, his floor is a bigger/better Larry Johnson and his ceiling is a bigger/better Charles Barkley.  T   

Also, keep in mind that his two injuries were a freak shoe blow out and banging his knee.  I guess you can blame the shoe on his size, but the latter has nothing to do with it.  LeBron has carried 275 for a while.  So long as Zion doesn't let himself go, and I don't think he will, I don't buy his size causing more injuries. 

That said, I still haven't bought into him as a transcendent #1 pick in the LeBron/KD/AD mold, although the advanced stats from college disagree with me. 

....  also, RJ will be fine.  His usage rate will be a lot lower in the regular season (at least in his first year or two) and he does a lot of other things well.  He is going to have to work to get to upper 30s in 3-pt percentage to be a star, and that of course may never happen.  But if he can drive and get to the line like I think he can, he is going to be very good.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

54 minutes ago, NowThis said:

dude, run with it.. Metta World Feast as a commentator said.  A couple of extra tidbits -- what if Hayes has a better rookie year? Zion should have played DE at Clemson , be the #1 pick and he could probably have a longer career. 

Zion will make a minimum of 100 million before he's 24 years old.  Which wouldn't be possible as a DE. He absolutely made the right decision.  

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Zion will make a minimum of 100 million before he's 24 years old.  Which wouldn't be possible as a DE. He absolutely made the right decision.  

Yeah, I know you many of you guys are based in TX where football is a religion but there is not one chance I would advocate choosing football over basketball if you had the athletic ability to choose to play professionally one or the other.  I'm not even sure how that could be a talking point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

Your stupid posts on this site are legion. This may actually be your dumbest. Truly, this is impressive work, even for you. 

40 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I was the idiot that said in November Zion would be at best the third best player on Duke and that he was just a glorified dunker.  I deserved all the shit I got.  I think he is going to be fine.  Barring injuries, his floor is a bigger/better Larry Johnson and his ceiling is a bigger/better Charles Barkley.  T   

Also, keep in mind that his two injuries were a freak shoe blow out and banging his knee.  I guess you can blame the shoe on his size, but the latter has nothing to do with it.  LeBron has carried 275 for a while.  So long as Zion doesn't let himself go, and I don't think he will, I don't buy his size causing more injuries. 

That said, I still haven't bought into him as a transcendent #1 pick in the LeBron/KD/AD mold, although the advanced stats from college disagree with me. 

....  also, RJ will be fine.  His usage rate will be a lot lower in the regular season (at least in his first year or two) and he does a lot of other things well.  He is going to have to work to get to upper 30s in 3-pt percentage to be a star, and that of course may never happen.  But if he can drive and get to the line like I think he can, he is going to be very good.  

No it won't. They're gonna let him chuck. 

I don't know why all these people keep saying he can drive and get to the rim. He struggled to beat his man off the dribble in college and often settled for weak little floaters fading away  because his man was right between him and the rim. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, I know you many of you guys are based in TX where football is a religion but there is not one chance I would advocate choosing football over basketball if you had the athletic ability to choose to play professionally one or the other.  I'm not even sure how that could be a talking point.

lots of NBA players dont' make much at all. Of course Zion is a special case. Also see K.Murray who chose the NFL, so it's not absolute to skip the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your stupid posts on this site are legion. This may actually be your dumbest. Truly, this is impressive work, even for you. 

No it won't. They're gonna let him chuck. 

I don't know why all these people keep saying he can drive and get to the rim. He struggled to beat his man off the dribble in college and often settled for weak little floaters fading away  because his man was right between him and the rim. 

Yeah he's nowhere near as quick as people say or make believe,  and on top of that he can't shoot for shit. Maybe people thought he was savvy like James Harden and didn't need elite athleticism to be successful in the league,  but I don't see it.  Im starting to believe that all the high school criticism directed at Zion was actually more applicable to RJ. He bullied guys in high school because he was much bigger than the wings he was going against.  He's neither quicker nor bigger than the wings he'll go against in the league and he'll struggle tremendously as a result.  

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

lots of NBA players dont' make much at all. Of course Zion is a special case. Also see K.Murray who chose the NFL, so it's not absolute to skip the NFL. 

MOST NBA players make more than MOST NFL players.  A LOT MORE.      99% of NBA contracts are guaranteed the second they are signed.   Its stupid to think that going to the NFL offers a better financial outlook than going to the NBA.    Especially if one had the ability to be a high pick in both.    Just stop

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah he's nowhere near as quick as people say or make believe,  and on top of that he can't shoot for shit. Maybe people thought he was savvy like James Harden and didn't need elite athleticism to be successful in the league,  but I don't see it.  Im starting to believe that all the high school criticism directed at Zion was actually more applicable to RJ. He bullied guys in high school because he was much bigger than the wings he was going against.  He's neither quicker nor bigger than the wings he'll go against in the league and he'll struggle tremendously as a result.  

I've always had him as a Harrison Barnes type.   As the athleticism of his opponents improves he will be less and less effective

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Minimum salary in the NBA is about double the NFL league minimum. Even 2- way NBAG league guys make more than the minimum NFL salary.  And in Zion's case he's gonna sign a shoe deal approaching $80 to $100 million. I actually short changed what he'll make over the next 5 years.  He'll probably bring in another $30 to $50 million  of endorsement money on top of his shoe deal.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I've always had him as a Harrison Barnes type.   As the athleticism of his opponents improves he will be less and less effective

I think he has a bit more in terms of a handle and penetration skills than Barnes.  But admittedly that could be because I only saw Barrett in college for 1 year as opposed to Barnes who stayed 2 or 3 years. 

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I think he has a bit more in terms of a handle and penetration skills than Barnes.  But admittedly that could be because I only saw Barrett in college for 1 year as opposed to Barnes who stayed 2 or 3 years. 

Yeah, a better dribbling, better passing, worse shooting Harrison Barnes seems about right. That does not sound like a very valuable player. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I figured it was something like that. Comparing CWebb to Siakam is certainly...an interesting choice. 

i challenged the internet to come up with something better and everyone totally failed. I mean hearrison barned? lol, he seems to be the prototype 3 for comparison purposes  (even though he sucks) or some finesse dude like Ceballos from the 80s .. lolz2 .  F'n Derka went with Mugsy Bogues of all things. Gotdam

Edited by NowThis

On 7/11/2019 at 6:37 PM, Goo Punch said:

no i didn't, i said donyell marshall. of course bogues would have been fine to mention since we were all just clowning you anyway. 

no, i was clowning you. Actually not.  Donyell "no uniform" Marshell is a slight improvement from Bogues, but you are still way off. 

RJ will be fine.  His last two games have been nails.  But it’s summer league so let’s not take too much from that just as the same we shouldn’t judge him on his first couple of games   

He was better at Duke his freshman year than Jayson Tatum (every metric agrees) and had some of the same issues (ball stopper/hero ball).  Tatum regressed or maybe didn’t progress last year, and next year will be telling.  But it is reasonable to expect RJ to have a Tatum-esque rookie year, just on a significantly worse team.