What's your best fishing trip ever?

Not a cat

This past weekend, I was thinking about my first ever experience wade fishing.  I grew up in Corpus Christi, but my family didn't fish much.  Just the occasional trip on a friend's boat to soak bait.  We were a sports and beach family.  

After college, I got way into hunting, but still didn't fish much.  I had a customer of mine that I had gotten to be pretty good friends with.  He had a house in Magnolia Beach and invited me down there with a few other acquaintances for some wade fishing.  All artificials.  I had zero experience with either, but figured I'd give it a shot.  We met Friday after work and headed for the coast.  We get to his place around 8:00.  It's March, so it's still chilly and the sun had already set.  I'm assuming that, like most of my other fishing trips to that point, we'd hang out and drink beer that night and get up when we got up the next morning to fish.  Wrong.  We climbed in the boat and headed out for some night wade fishing.  Having never wade fished before (let alone at night), I apprehensively got in the water and didn't stray more than 50 yds from the boat.  I didn't catch shit.  They caught a few trout.  We fished til around midnight.

The next morning, we got up early and hauled ass in some dense ass fog to Keller Bay.  In the water as the sun's coming up.  By lunch, I had a stringer full of a limit of trout, a few redfish and a few black drum.  I even had a dolphin get within a few feet of me.  My buddy was yelling "lift up your damn stringer!!!".  It was terrifying and exhilarating and so damn much fun.  I was hooked.  We fished our asses off that weekend.  Literally sun up to sun down both days.  Got home well after 10 PM Sunday.  Those guys were all waaaaay more into fishing than I have ever been.  It was a great exposure to folks who truly love fishing.

I don't get down to the coast as much as I'd like.  And, when I do now, it's usually with my kids, so wade fishing excursions are few and far between.  And, I've never come close to replicating that day in terms of success.  I didn't realize at the time how special that was for a fishing hack like myself.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1983, home from my first semester of college in December.  Snow on the ground at Lake Texoma.  My Dad, brother and I caught dozens of stripers.  One after another, all three of us had fish on multiple times. At the end of the day our thumbs were raw from picking up fish by their bottom lip. We threw back more than we kept, and we kept probably 25 fish.  Epic. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Mexico one time with the ex and a group of her friends and their bfs. They all decided to hire a boat and go out fishing. We didn’t catch shit and toward the end of the day a kidney stone decided it was time to make my life miserable. That’s pretty much the best fishing trip I ever had, not sure I would recommend it though.

My UT roommate and I decided to take a road trip/fly fishing trip the summer I finished at UT and was headed off to grad school (roommate dropped out of UT a few years earlier). We loaded up his 4 Runner and drove up the eastern side of the Rockies to the CA border and then headed south to San Diego along the Pacific coast for about 5 weeks before heading back to Texas.

i had been fly fishing on the San Juan river the previous summer as part of my geology field camp class in the 4 corners area so we headed there first.  Caught a bunch of trout there but decided if it was that good there, it would be even better as we headed north.

We stopped a few places along the way but didn’t catch crap...

Got to Yellowstone and after a few days of fishing but not really having any luck, we decided that we’d have one last fishing day before heading to the West Coast. We stopped by the fly shop we had been dumping money on the past few days and mentioned we were done and were leaving because the fishing wasn’t panning out as we had hoped.  The guy in the shop said that before we left, he’d put us on a spot. He said to drive west past Quake lake west of W.Yellowstone, cross the first bridge we encountered west of the dam, park the truck there and walk west until we hit the first fence line and fish the hole there...

i caught at least 40 rainbows within 2 hours and it seemed to get a hit on every cast.  My buddy was doing the same but fell in at one point and filled his waders with ice water so we had to cut the session short as he was freezing. Best fishing I ever had in my life... That being said - the dumbasses we were - we ended up packing up camp and headed to the west coast the next morning rather than going back to the same spot for the next few days as we were meeting some girls we knew in San Fran and later in San Diego...  Yes, each of us ended up getting laid in Cali but I still kick myself 25 years later for not having spent another few days going back to that honey hole... Best fishing spot I ever visited...

Not sure if you can even access that spot any more but I plan on trying to get to the same spot next summer with my boys...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Four years ago.  About 130 miles out of Freeport near floater rigs.  We caught 3 swordfish at night.    What I could not eat, I vacuum sealed swordfish steaks and put in deep freezer.  Man we ate that almost once a week for two years.  The last steak, which was two years old, tasted just as good as fresh.

During the day we trolled and went 3 for 9 on blue marlin, caught 7-8 Wahoo, 5 or 6 Dorado.

We stopped at our bottom fishing spot and caught a limit of snapper.

It was a fucking meat haul.  Gave a bunch a way and we all filled our freezers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grimas said:

My UT roommate and I decided to take a road trip/fly fishing trip the summer I finished at UT and was headed off to grad school (roommate dropped out of UT a few years earlier). We loaded up his 4 Runner and drove up the eastern side of the Rockies to the CA border and then headed south to San Diego along the Pacific coast for about 5 weeks before heading back to Texas.

i had been fly fishing on the San Juan river the previous summer as part of my geology field camp class in the 4 corners area so we headed there first.  Caught a bunch of trout there but decided if it was that good there, it would be even better as we headed north.

We stopped a few places along the way but didn’t catch crap...

Got to Yellowstone and after a few days of fishing but not really having any luck, we decided that we’d have one last fishing day before heading to the West Coast. We stopped by the fly shop we had been dumping money on the past few days and mentioned we were done and were leaving because the fishing wasn’t panning out as we had hoped.  The guy in the shop said that before we left, he’d put us on a spot. He said to drive west past Quake lake west of W.Yellowstone, cross the first bridge we encountered west of the dam, park the truck there and walk west until we hit the first fence line and fish the hole there...

i caught at least 40 rainbows within 2 hours and it seemed to get a hit on every cast.  My buddy was doing the same but fell in at one point and filled his waders with ice water so we had to cut the session short as he was freezing. Best fishing I ever had in my life... That being said - the dumbasses we were - we ended up packing up camp and headed to the west coast the next morning rather than going back to the same spot for the next few days as we were meeting some girls we knew in San Fran and later in San Diego...  Yes, each of us ended up getting laid in Cali but I still kick myself 25 years later for not having spent another few days going back to that honey hole... Best fishing spot I ever visited...

Not sure if you can even access that spot any more but I plan on trying to get to the same spot next summer with my boys...

Getting laid in Cali was the right call. With 100% certainty that spot would have sucked the next day. That’s how fishing works.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

6-7 sailfish in Costa Rica. One pic so amazing I may sleep with it when I’m too old to go out on the boat.  Cabo I caught 8 or so dorado and hooked a marlin.  14-16 incher on the gunnison this summer wasn’t half bad.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, Not a cat said:

I'm planning a fishing trip and would appreciate some advice on where to go.  I'm mostly a freshwater guy (bass), but would certainly be open to saltwater.

Some caveats-

1.  Going in January, so no salmon fishing in Alaska.  I live in the upper midwest so I'll be looking for someplace warm.

2.  Taking my 15 year old son, so if part of the allure of the trip for you was bars or houses of ill repute, those won't matter.

3.  I'm willing to spend some cash but I'm not Surly 1% that is flying to New Zealand and renting a yacht with a full crew.

I basically want to go somewhere that is warm and pretty where I can catch a shitload of fish with my son.  

Thanks in advance

My best trip so far was in the boundry waters canoe area in Minnesota. Not in January though. My god, you you know how hard this is to type drunk?

Anyway if you are interested in my trip I can send you a link for a boring yt video... 

Edited by JMFP

What, maybe 6 years ago down @ Rockport with @Judge Roybeanbag .

Didn't catch a huge amount, but the friendship & camaraderie with him & his now passed away FiL. That man was wonderful, but Judge tells me it sorta broke his heart when nobody had the time to go fishing with him from the beach house.

Took lots of pics, ate well enough. For a weekend trip & a poors like me, that is an indelible memory.

Also, when me & my brother would catch 'em left & right on most every cricket or worm drop @ one specific location on my Grandparents pond S of Shreveport. Fuck I miss those childhood summers, every year from maybe 8 to 16 (with a gap @ age 15).

For those 1st 2 years (8 & 9), it was our only chance for us to get away from that asshole abusive stepfather.

I also had a roll in the high grass with my 1st wife while we were engaged. Her idea, she even brought brought a blanket on the trip for this exact idea.*

One of these days, I hope to take my kids there & ask the new land owners if we could fish it. Apparently my Uncle sold the place a few years ago & the pond looks a bit larger when viewing on Google Maps, plus there is a nicer, newer & decidedly larger house there vs. the maybe 1,300 sq. footer 3br / 1 ba one my Mom grew up in.

*Obv. I won't tell the kids but I will think of it as I walk us by that location if we go.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 2:37 PM, krevo said:

I completed mine two summers ago. 

1. Drove out west to fish sections of the Rio Grande
  2. Then to New Mexico to fly fish for a few days around Taos.
  3. Up to Colorado to fish the Arkansas and catch some lake trout in a few state parks
  4. Over to Utah to fish a high desert lake (Steinaker) and the Green River.
  5. Over to Grand Teton to fish Jackson Lake
  6. over to Yellowstone to fly fish for 3 days
  7. Drove the Beartooth Hwy out of Yellowstone to Montana.  Fly fished there for 3 days.
  8. Down to South Dakota in the Black Hills.  Fished streams and creeks around there. 

Lots of species were caught and all techniques were implored.    Kind of wished I got some time in the salt but I'm planning another one going up the Texas coast line over to Florida in the next few years.  

Just got back from another pretty good one.

1. Taos / Angelfire area
2. Durango / Animas
3. Ouray/Ridgeway / Uncomphagre
4. Telluride
5. Mesa Verde
6. Sante Fe / Rio Grande

• Hook 'Em 1

Two days stick out in my mind:

-1995 or 96, down in Rockport.  We put in at The Sand Dollar (Now Alice Faye's?) and went across to Paul's Mott to wade fish.  We hopped off the boat with our bait buckets and scooted around to the back lakes to see tailing reds everywhere.  Picked up quite a few good ones there before the fish scattered and we headed back out to the mouth of the cut.  We posted up at the mouth just as the water started moving and caught a shit load of fish until we all rain out of bait.  I think the biggest one I caught was 26" or so.  I can't even remember what time of year it was, but we were free shrimping and I don't think I've ever been on a redfish bite that good since then.

-August 2014, fly fishing on Faler Creek outside of Pinedale, WY.  My boss grew up in Pinedale and had a high school buddy that got us on this small water out in the middle of nowhere.  We had to hike across a bog for almost a mile to get to what looked like very small water to me at the time.  It wasn't very wide, but it had deep cut banks that we threw streamers at all day.  I was still new to fly fishing and didn't realize how kick ass of a spot it was - I caught 5 or 6 Rainbows over 20" with the biggest being 24"ish and missed god knows how many other fish.  It was just one of those days, on almost every cast you'd see the flash of a fish screaming out from underneath the cut bank.  If I'd have known more about how to present/strip the streamers I probably would have caught another 15 fish over 20".  I've been fly fishing at least once every year since then and still have not come anywhere close to having another day that good.  We are planning another trip up there next August/September and I'm hoping we can get back out on Faler Creek again.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:05 PM, The Royal We said:

Two days stick out in my mind:

-1995 or 96, down in Rockport.  We put in at The Sand Dollar (Now Alice Faye's?) and went across to Paul's Mott to wade fish.  We hopped off the boat with our bait buckets and scooted around to the back lakes to see tailing reds everywhere.  Picked up quite a few good ones there before the fish scattered and we headed back out to the mouth of the cut.  We posted up at the mouth just as the water started moving and caught a shit load of fish until we all rain out of bait.  I think the biggest one I caught was 26" or so.  I can't even remember what time of year it was, but we were free shrimping and I don't think I've ever been on a redfish bite that good since then.

-August 2014, fly fishing on Faler Creek outside of Pinedale, WY.  My boss grew up in Pinedale and had a high school buddy that got us on this small water out in the middle of nowhere.  We had to hike across a bog for almost a mile to get to what looked like very small water to me at the time.  It wasn't very wide, but it had deep cut banks that we threw streamers at all day.  I was still new to fly fishing and didn't realize how kick ass of a spot it was - I caught 5 or 6 Rainbows over 20" with the biggest being 24"ish and missed god knows how many other fish.  It was just one of those days, on almost every cast you'd see the flash of a fish screaming out from underneath the cut bank.  If I'd have known more about how to present/strip the streamers I probably would have caught another 15 fish over 20".  I've been fly fishing at least once every year since then and still have not come anywhere close to having another day that good.  We are planning another trip up there next August/September and I'm hoping we can get back out on Faler Creek again.

Now you have my attention. 2 foot rainbows chasing streamers in small water...what are the chances you were poaching private water?

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Now you have my attention. 2 foot rainbows chasing streamers in small water...what are the chances you were poaching private water?

0%. We were with a local guide who had the lease. I think it was these guys: https://www.tworiversfishing.com/  I highly recommend them if you are in the area and need to use the John. 

5 hours ago, The Royal We said:

0%. We were with a local guide who had the lease. I think it was these guys: https://www.tworiversfishing.com/  I highly recommend them if you are in the area and need to use the John. 

Ah, missed the part where you mentioned he got you on the water. Sounds awesome. I may have to poach it at night with a mouse. If a rancher pulls a gun on me I’ll tell him The Royal We said it was cool if I fished there.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

The guides in WY talked a lot about floating the New Fork and the Green at night, with a cooler of beer and some hippy lettuce, and throwing mice.  Sounds terrible.

It’s basically bass fishing for trout. I’ve never caught the one, but if I do that will be how it goes down. It’s always fun when you get to the take out when all the guides are getting on with their clients. The clients give you a WTF look and the guides just grin and nod.

Those guys are animals.  Paddle a float trip with some PITA clients for 5 or 6 hours and then head back upstream to put in again and fish with some buds under the moonlight.  

I go out and throw top water frogs at night on the lake I live on -basically fishing by sound only- and the blowups are infrequent but very exhilarating.  I can't imagine doing that with trout, it's going on my bucket list. 

Is there a place around Austin to do some night dock fishing well into the night, 10pm to 1 am, where you just plop down a rod with minnow bait and sit around and wait for a night run of bass or crappie with a beer in hand? I used to do that out at the old lake Travis military recreation area, but it’s not out there anymore. Been sold.

I was getting the crew hyped up to go fishing a couple of years ago and I posted the below on a day when I found a few Bud Lights in the office fridge.  This was at Yarborough Pass (Bay side) PINS:

From personal experience, I can tell you the closer it gets to June the more trouty it gets back there. I used to do a summer Fathers day type of trip back in Yarborough that we sometimes had to do before Father's day.  Occasionally I could find the birds working and load up, but generally I could average about 4 trout a day without really trying all that hard, just by working within 1/2 mile of the camp. Reds and Drum were harder to come by  in June with much better numbers coming in late July early August, especially on the long rods.  One of the things that can really make a trip is those long rods paying off at night.  Almost nothing better than making a check of the long rods every 45 minutes or so in between jokes, shots, lies (fishing tales) and bringing back fish every time well into the night.

I can remember one such trip where my brother was unable to make it and my cousin Ronny (who was at the spring trip 3 years ago) was joining us two days later.  Since my brother was not coming we had to pack all the extra stuff that he usually brings into my Tacoma, plus I had to pack my dad along who usually goes in my brother's truck.  I pickup my dad on the way down and I have to reshuffle all of my nice and neat packing to accommodate the mountain of extra gear.  On top of that something was bugging me about work(I don't remember what) and the pain in the ass factor put me in a surly mood. My dad was in his early 80's at the time, and although I was glad to have this time with him, I was, at the same time a just a little crestfallen that I would need to tend to him and more camp duties in lieu of fishing hard.  That is not to say I don't pull my weight or cringe at doing so, but I like to prepare well, travel light and smart, and have less work to do when I camp/fish drink beer. Yeah, I guess I am selfish...so piss off.

When my brother goes on these trips, he and my dad will usually spend their efforts setting up the camp and are a little less enthusiastic about the fishing and more about the experience/beer.  SO we get there and I put one long rod out and proceed to help my dad on non-fishing type of duties.  We get it all done and "Island time"/beer begins to wash over me.  We are alone at Yarborough. We set up a couple of chairs, I put my bait trap out, we set up some more long rods, and a couple of chairs.  The sun sets and my dad accompanies me on a quick top water try just to keep me company. Nothing.

I check the long rods and discover a nice pan fished size black drum on the line.  On the board and into the cooler.  I think I will give that topwater another try.  Same result.  Check the long rods again.  Dad gets two black drum on his.  OK it is on old man.  We rebait and work through a few hard heads and undersized blacks and reds.  Allthewhile, we are talking about the coast from bygone days when my dad was a lad, those legendary trips he had back in the early 70's to the land cut, Texas history, aliens, old family scandals, and of course fishing in the here and now.  The water is high and our rods are close but seemingly inactive.  Yet every time we check them there is at least one keeper fish on.  The water glows with motion in the process of efflorescence.  We can see the water light up as mullet jump and predator eats prey as the great circle of crap unfolds before our eyes.

I check my watch.  Where did the time go...it is almost midnight and we each have 3 black drum and 3 redfish. By this time we are well into the moment, as they say.  We have settled into a pattern of relaxing and have a few beers, discussing our amazing smallness in the grand scheme of just the Laguna Madre, checking our lines, and collecting fish. But we have to stop and check ourselves as we have met our daily bag limits on these species.  We pause and reconsider that we only have to wait a few more minutes until midnight, and then begins a new day upon which we can resume our "pattern"...and we do..with a little help from the fish.

By 2AM we repeat our catch with an oversized red to boot minus a third slot red for me.  The bite dies and we recognize that it is time for bed.  Once in my cot and heading into blissful sleep on this quiet night, I hear the clicker on my Daiwa SHV 30 go off and I trudge out to the set up and collect my final slot red.  A good day.

The next morning we inspect the packed cooler and give each other a knowing grin, thinking the same thing ..that "Ronny is sure going to shit his pants when he gets here".  Just for good measure I headed out in the kayak and picked up a limit of trout before 9AM. Upon my return, I ask my dad if he caught anything: " I sure did, an oversized red"

We would only pick up a couple more fish in the remaining 4 days down there.  Hot sun and high winds would stay with us.  My cousin got blanked and cleaning all of those fish was no fun. Weekend traffic picked up and it was not the quiet place we started with on a nice Wednesday summer night.  The action was not fast and furious or Adrenalin inducing, but it was nevertheless a weird rush of confidence that I have not had before or since.

Now, I know this is not the end all be all of fishing tales especially amongst this group.  There were no monsters, freak hook ups, fouled lines, or anything at all unusual. Just a nice night with steady action that a even guy in his early 80's could keep up with and, of course, appreciate.  Most importantly, it was one of those nights that came unlooked for that just landed in your lap.  We were fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and were able to pass the time as mother nature allowed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, Lat22 said:

I'm a big fan of Islamorada as well.  You can fish offshore in the morning and back country in the afternoon. I'd probably live there if it wasn't, well, Florida.

Bump, what are your recommendations for Islamorada, late April/early May.  Just booked my airfare, covid be damned.

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad Alaska is off the list.  In 2019 I got a chance to go fish the salmon runs on the Russian River, Kenai and where they meet.   So much fun! Releasing normally legit sized fish because there are larger and they're in the tens thousands running up river.   No hooks are allowed so you use a swivel weight and just flick until it's in the line of a salmon's mouth and they instinctively close down on it.   

Halibut fishing is also ridiculous and you don't have to go far offshore. 

Best friend up there just bought a new plane and we're starting to plan out some back country trips for when winter releases its grip.   Pedro Bay is on the list, except, we're going to have to borrow another buddy's float plane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

How far (how long) can you fly with your knees jammed into the dash or your chin?  Those things aren't known for having a lotta space.  Add in your height?  Sheeeit.

After flying in CJ/RJ/Embrears, I can fit into most planes with a little origami action.  Funny thing about his plane is that he's removed the top of the cabin ceiling for extra space where it counts.  LOL

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, The Royal We said:

1995 or 96, down in Rockport.  We put in at The Sand Dollar (Now Alice Faye's?) and went across to Paul's Mott to wade fish.  We hopped off the boat with our bait buckets and scooted around to the back lakes to see tailing reds everywhere.  Picked up quite a few good ones there before the fish scattered and we headed back out to the mouth of the cut.  We posted up at the mouth just as the water started moving and caught a shit load of fish until we all rain out of bait.  I think the biggest one I caught was 26" or so.  I can't even remember what time of year it was, but we were free shrimping and I don't think I've ever been on a redfish bite that good since then.

This is the stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Three fishing trips come to mind. During the summer of 1975 I was 17. A close family friend had a house and a boat at Rockport. That August my dad and I did some fishing with him in the bays there. One morning, right after sunrise, we got into some small to medium size trout and some 3 to 5 pound redfish. We found schools chasing and feeding on shrimp. From just after sunrise until about 10 in the morning, we caught about 70 fish. My arms were sore. I've never seen anything like it, since. Maybe 5 years ago in April, my son and I went out to a large pond on some land we have down in Dewitt County. That pond has always been a great fishing pond and has been there since at least the late 19th century. Fairly early that morning, we started catching bass and a few decent size crappie with grub and worm lures. During about 4 hours of fishing that morning, we caught 17 fish, including 10 bass ranging from a pond to 4 pounds, four good crappie, and 3 channel cats from 2 to 5 pounds. After an hour or so, we were laughing our asses off at how ridiculously easy fishing seemed. At one point, my son cast toward a wooden pier. He was a bit strong with the cast and it bounced off the top railing of the pier and into the water. Right as it hit the water nice bas came up and hit it. It was beautiful. We still call it his "magic pier shot". That feat has never been duplicated. 

37 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Three fishing trips come to mind. During the summer of 1975 I was 17. A close family friend had a house and a boat at Rockport. That August my dad and I did some fishing with him in the bays there. One morning, right after sunrise, we got into some small to medium size trout and some 3 to 5 pound redfish. We found schools chasing and feeding on shrimp. From just after sunrise until about 10 in the morning, we caught about 70 fish. My arms were sore. I've never seen anything like it, since. Maybe 5 years ago in April, my son and I went out to a large pond on some land we have down in Dewitt County. That pond has always been a great fishing pond and has been there since at least the late 19th century. Fairly early that morning, we started catching bass and a few decent size crappie with grub and worm lures. During about 4 hours of fishing that morning, we caught 17 fish, including 10 bass ranging from a pond to 4 pounds, four good crappie, and 3 channel cats from 2 to 5 pounds. After an hour or so, we were laughing our asses off at how ridiculously easy fishing seemed. At one point, my son cast toward a wooden pier. He was a bit strong with the cast and it bounced off the top railing of the pier and into the water. Right as it hit the water nice bas came up and hit it. It was beautiful. We still call it his "magic pier shot". That feat has never been duplicated. 

Hahaha.... Actually, two trips came to mind. Jesus. Gettin' old.

• 6 months later...