(Books) A Song of Ice and Fire Wild Theory Speculation Thread

Viper

What's your favorite asoiaf theory? Which do you think will be true and which are just fun to speculate about? The biggest one that is obviously accepted by almost everyone is R+L=J, but I also like the fAegon = Blackfyre theory. 

The Southron Ambitions theory seems to make a lot of stuff fit, but I'm not sure it will ever be confirmed. I don't put much stock in the theories of Tyrion or Cersei and Jamie being secret Targaryens. It seems almost certain that the Hound is the gravedigger but I doubt we get it confirmed or hear from him again.

Do you think Jojen Paste will be confirmed? I didn't even pick up on that when I read but it makes some sense afterwards.

What do you think happened at Summerhall?

I have a theory (yes it’s my personal theory) that Varys is a warg that sees through his little birds and other wildlife.

-he cuts out the tongues  

-he doesn’t write anything down or keep written records 

-probably has blackfyre/Targ blood and related to Bloodraven

-The Powerful Wargs tend to have some physical abnormality  (Bran-broken legs, Bloodraven-missing eye, Varys-missing dick).

-There are points in the books where animals are noted in the presence of significant events.  The moth with Cersei in AFFC.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2018 at 9:27 PM, DocZaius said:

Every once in a while, I'll re-read the whole series in the hopes that the next book will come out in the year that it takes me.

I keep on telling myself the same thing.  I'm scared to invest the time to reread everything though in case the guy drops dead before he finishes.

14 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

I keep on telling myself the same thing.  I'm scared to invest the time to reread everything though in case the guy drops dead before he finishes.

I learned my lesson with the Wheel of Time.  Don't reread the series until the series is done.  I can't tell you how many times I worked through the initial books.  Thankfully with WoT, the early books were great, but a few too many braid tugs after a while.  I'm not picking SOIAF again until he drops dead, and hopefully someone else finishes it.  Although I'm doubtful that even happens as HBO will put a nice bow on everything.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I have a theory (yes it’s my personal theory) that Varys is a warg that sees through his little birds and other wildlife.

-he cuts out the tongues  

-he doesn’t write anything down or keep written records 

-probably has blackfyre/Targ blood and related to Bloodraven

-The Powerful Wargs tend to have some physical abnormality  (Bran-broken legs, Bloodraven-missing eye, Varys-missing dick).

-There are points in the books where animals are noted in the presence of significant events.  The moth with Cersei in AFFC.

I like this theory, however Varys has claimed that he hates the use of magic because he lost his junk in a magical ritual.  

I'm somewhat partial to the theory that Varys is a Blackfyre Targaryen.

So it's said that when Barristan Selmy killed Maelys the Monstrous in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, that this was supposedly the end of the male Blackfyre line. The key word there being male, so there could still be a female line still around. Maelys came to lead the Golden Company by killing his cousin Daemon. Since Daemon is the predominant name in the Blackfyre line (like Aegon in the Targaryen line) perhaps Daemon was the senior line and his descendants would have the superior claim.

So we assume that Daemon had a daughter and that after her father was killed she fled to Lys (where Varys is from), or perhaps she was sold into slavery there by Maelys. Then the daughter has 2 children. Varys and Serra. Varys ends up in Pentos and befriends Illyrio. He convinces Illyrio to save his sister Serra from slavery. Illyrio ends up failing in love with her, and having a child. That child is introduced in the ADWD as Aegon. This has been Varys' plan all along, to install a Blackfyre on the throne, now he has the male to do it. It also explains just what Illyrio is getting out of all this, which is a long time open question that Tyrion picks up on right away.

Side note, this could also explain why both Varys and Illyrio respect and welcome Barristan Selmy since he killed Maelys who killed their grandfather and paved the way for their line to become the dominate Blackfyre line again.

There are also some more clues dealing with Varys pointing to him being a Blackfyre:

• It is shown that king's blood is very popular for blood magic rituals. Blood magic rituals like the one that Varys was involved in when he was castrated. It suddenly makes a lot more sense on why he was chosen for this if he had Targaryen and Blackfyre blood in him.
  • In the Dunk and Egg novels, Aegon V as a young boy, squired around the land with Sir Duncan the Tall. To hide the fact that he was a Targaryen, he shaved his head and was called "Egg". Varys is also bald, and described by Catelyn thusly "The man who stepped through the door was plump, perfumed, powdered, and as hairless as an egg."
  • Maegor I finished building the red keep and killed all the builders and architects. The reasoning being that only the dragon (Targaryens) would know its secrets. Well, Varys seems to know the Keep's secrets pretty well. which could imply that he's a "dragon".
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Viper said:

I'm somewhat partial to the theory that Varys is a Blackfyre Targaryen.

So it's said that when Barristan Selmy killed Maelys the Monstrous in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, that this was supposedly the end of the male Blackfyre line. The key word there being male, so there could still be a female line still around. Maelys came to lead the Golden Company by killing his cousin Daemon. Since Daemon is the predominant name in the Blackfyre line (like Aegon in the Targaryen line) perhaps Daemon was the senior line and his descendants would have the superior claim.

So we assume that Daemon had a daughter and that after her father was killed she fled to Lys (where Varys is from), or perhaps she was sold into slavery there by Maelys. Then the daughter has 2 children. Varys and Serra. Varys ends up in Pentos and befriends Illyrio. He convinces Illyrio to save his sister Serra from slavery. Illyrio ends up failing in love with her, and having a child. That child is introduced in the ADWD as Aegon. This has been Varys' plan all along, to install a Blackfyre on the throne, now he has the male to do it. It also explains just what Illyrio is getting out of all this, which is a long time open question that Tyrion picks up on right away.

Side note, this could also explain why both Varys and Illyrio respect and welcome Barristan Selmy since he killed Maelys who killed their grandfather and paved the way for their line to become the dominate Blackfyre line again.

There are also some more clues dealing with Varys pointing to him being a Blackfyre:

• It is shown that king's blood is very popular for blood magic rituals. Blood magic rituals like the one that Varys was involved in when he was castrated. It suddenly makes a lot more sense on why he was chosen for this if he had Targaryen and Blackfyre blood in him.
  • In the Dunk and Egg novels, Aegon V as a young boy, squired around the land with Sir Duncan the Tall. To hide the fact that he was a Targaryen, he shaved his head and was called "Egg". Varys is also bald, and described by Catelyn thusly "The man who stepped through the door was plump, perfumed, powdered, and as hairless as an egg."
  • Maegor I finished building the red keep and killed all the builders and architects. The reasoning being that only the dragon (Targaryens) would know its secrets. Well, Varys seems to know the Keep's secrets pretty well. which could imply that he's a "dragon".

2930bad1c481acbc8f624e80ed5627ea.jpg

He posted on his new blog today about his upcoming book on the history of the Targaryen kings of Westeros, Fire & Blood, Volume 1:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/04/25/fire-blood-on-the-way/

His very first comment is about TSOIAF:

No, winter is not coming… not in 2018, at least.   You’re going to have to keep waiting for THE WINDS OF WINTER.

He is never going to finish the series...

Edited by smokebomb

20 hours ago, smokebomb said:

He posted on his new blog today about his upcoming book on the history of the Targaryen kings of Westeros, Fire & Blood, Volume 1:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/04/25/fire-blood-on-the-way/

His very first comment is about TSOIAF:

He is never going to finish the series...

why is he writing other fucking books instead of winds of winter? he has to be the most hated author from his fans. fuck that idiotic, obstinate, fat fuck.

the thought is that he's not really "writing" other books, but that while writing the main books he writes a whole hell of a lot of extra stuff, e.g. notes, backstories, chapters edited out, etc. So that all he's really doing here is editing all the extra material and scraps together and polishing it up and putting it out as some extra content that was already written while everyone waits for WoW.

I'm sure not paying for anymore of his books.  If someone gave me the next book (assuming it ever is finished) and swore they stole it from him, I might read it.  Then again, it's been so long that I'd have to go back and reread all the other ones.  That fat fuck fuck is not worth the effort, so I'd probably just mail it back to him (postage due) with a note that said reading his book was not worth the effort.

• Like 1

His publishers have asked him to split Winds of Winter into two books as he can't seem to finish it..... He has resisted the idea.  Building smoke's post.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-winds-winter-apos-two-172801956.html

Responding to a question about the possibility of splitting up The Winds of Winter, Martin revealed publishers have already pushed him in that direction. “Some of my publishers have suggested breaking up WINDS as we did with FEAST and DANCE,” Martin wrote. “I am resisting that notion.”

Is he laughing at the readers?

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a re-read.  I'm into book 2 and noticed that Brienne swore she'd be the one to kill Stannis, and sure enough in the show, she did:

"I will kill him," the tall homely girl declared. "With my lord's own sword, I will kill him. I swear it. I swear it. I swear it."

Spoiler

The sword she used to execute Stannis was the one Jaime gave her (one of two forged from Eddard Stark's greatsword, "Ice"), and which she named "Oathkeeper."  After she killed Stannis with it, she tried to give it back to Jaime because it had served its purpose. 

I assume Stannis will meet his end in a similar fashion in the forthcoming book (if it ever gets published).

Edited by DocZaius
WBT was whining about spoilers
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m thinking about taking one of his books that he suckered me into purchasing, hollowing it out, taking a dump inside it, boxing it up with a letter asking for his autograph, and then mailing it to him

if you do it I will provide you with one rep. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He is never finishing the GoT series...

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/29/982364793/george-r-r-martin-signs-new-five-year-deal-with-hbo-and-hbo-max

George R.R. Martin Signs New Five Year Deal With HBO And HBO Max

March 29, 20212:53 PM ET

JEANNETTE MUHAMMAD

George R.R. Martin has entered into a five year deal with HBO to develop content for both HBO and HBO Max, the network said in a statement on Monday. 

The best-selling fantasy author and four-time Emmy award winner, best known for his book series A Song of Ice and Fire and its television adaptation Game of Thrones, is attached to multiple projects in the pipeline for the media company and streaming service. 

The Game of Thrones television series followed powerful families aiming for the iron throne in the continent of Westeros. It ran for eight years on HBO, with the final season wrapping in 2019.

Martin has a new drama series in the works, House of the Dragon, which is based on his Fire & Blood book. The Game of Thrones prequel follows House Targaryen and is set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones. 

The show has been given a ten episode order. Paddy Considine, Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith, and Emma D'Arcy have joined the series, with additional cast members to be announced. 

The show is co-created by Martin and Ryan Condal, whose prior work includes Colony, Rampage, and Hercules. Condal and Miguel Sapochnik (Game of Thrones, Altered Carbon) serve as showrunners and producers with Martin and Vince Gerardis (Game of Thrones).

Martin is also set to executive produce HBO's Who Fears Death, a fantasy post-apocalyptic series with Tessa Thompson attached to star and adapted from the novel by Nnedi Okorafor; and Roadmarks, an adaptation of the sci-fi novel from Roger Zelazny.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm reading 2018's Fire & Blood in anticipation of the new HBO show.  I had never picked it up because I didn't want to condone all of his bullshit side projects but it's actually pretty good.

41gq02g-MoL.jpg

Edited by WBT

• 4 months later...

What’s the best/cheapest app for the audiobooks?  I’m out of free rope after Book 3. I listened to The World of Ice and Fire as well. 

I’d like to read Book 4 and 5. Fire and Blood, and A Knight of the Season Kingdoms. I’ve knocking out about one audiobook a month. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

What’s the best/cheapest app for the audiobooks?  I’m out of free rope after Book 3. I listened to The World of Ice and Fire as well. 
I’d like to read Book 4 and 5. Fire and Blood, and A Knight of the Season Kingdoms. I’ve knocking out about one audiobook a month. 

They’re all out in the torrents in mp3 format if you’re a pirate.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have a plex server I can share. You can use prologue if you have an iPhone and chronicle on Android to listen to audiobooks 

On 11/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Heads up - here is a list of chapters and corresponding POV characters for book 4:

Spoiler

The chapters in this book are divided up as follows (not in order of progression)

Aeron (Damphair) Greyjoy (2)
Asha Greyjoy (1)
Victarion Greyjoy (2)

Areo Hotha, captain of the prince of Dorne's guards (1)
Arianne Martell, Princess of Dorne (2)
Ser Arys Oakheart, Kingsgaurdman in Dorne (1)

Cersei Lannister, Queen Regent (10)
Jamie Lannister, Captain of the Kingsgaurd (7)

Brienne, Maid of Tarth (8)

Arya Stark/Cat of the canals (3)
Sansa Stark/Alayne (3)

Samwell Tarly (5)

Just wanted to give you a warning since you might be expecting all of the previous series characters to have a chapter in the book but they do not. 

• Hook 'Em 1