Small engine help

B&S 23hp v-twin. When I start it up one of the valve covers fills with gas. So much so that it blows a vacuum hose coming out of valve cover off and spews fuel everywhere. Fuel is also getting in crankcase and contaminating oil. I’ve had carb off and everything appears fine. I replaced head gasket on that side. No change. Any ideas?

If it doesn't already have one, install a fuel cut off valve. Shut it when you are done and let the carb empty out. Leave it shut until you are ready to start it back up. This will prevent you float from getting stuck and flooding your engine while it is off. It will also help keep the carb running smoothly. If there is a station near you that sells ethanol free fuel, use it to fill up your gas cans.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, immortal13 said:

Honda>B&S

Honda makes some good engines, but their carbs are generally more prone to gumming up with bad fuel in my experience.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:12 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If it doesn't already have one, install a fuel cut off valve. Shut it when you are done and let the carb empty out. Leave it shut until you are ready to start it back up. This will prevent you float from getting stuck and flooding your engine while it is off. It will also help keep the carb running smoothly. If there is a station near you that sells ethanol free fuel, use it to fill up your gas cans.

This is the best thing to do.

Does it have one of those vacuum operated fuel pumps?

Just spitballing but maybe a failure of that pump and the various interconnected crankcase ventilation circuits, and, well,  keeping wildlife, um... an amphibious rodent, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either