Ireland

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Those who drink to forget, please pay in advance." -Sign at the Hibernian Bar, Cork City

Sign at about half the bars in the world. 

I flew into Dublin.  One day/night.  Train to Westport.  Ate fish, drank, listened to live music.   Rode bicycles from Westport to Kong (famous for the movie the Silent Man with John Wayne).  The outfitter gave us two bikes, some tools and a map.  This was before smart phones.   Pointed out some little tiny castles along our 6 hour bike ride.   Since it pretty much drizzled the whole time we'd stop every few hours at a little pub in a little town to warm up and have a pint.   Then Kong to Lenanne.  Dumped the bikes.  Then a taxi took us to a bus stop.  Bus to Galway.  Two nights.  Great town, most peoples favorite in Ireland.  Then rented a car and drove to the Cliffs of Moher.  (someone died the day or week before, got blown off) then drove to Shannon and did a night there before flying back to NYC

• Like 1

Folks have already cited a lot of the main sights and experiences so I won't rehash all of those except that I second the gardens at Blarney, those are always a fave. Also the Killarney area that was mentioned. There is a living history farm near there; it's a bit touristy, but depending upon the age of the young folks, it is a nice step back in time. I can't recall the name--Muckross maybe?

Some of the other sights in Dublin that are worth a look see if you have time are Trinity College-the library is cool, but I am a library geek. St Stephen's Green is a good place to unwind and take some time to relax. I think Tesco has closed some of their delis, but if you find a shop you can buy a little lunch and have a picnic. There is a fish and chip shop we really liked near the river that was not tourist stop but I will have to ask my spouse because I can't recall the name. After my mother passed away, we haven't returned so this has been several years ago.

Northern Ireland is often overlooked in favor of the usual southern sights to see, but Derry and Belfast have a lot of history (mild understatement) and the Giants Causeway is a nice walk. There are a lot of castles and places to walk around and quite a few ruins there as well.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, chitwood said:

Talked to people about Gaelic football in the pub--so cool how these tiny villages have their own team.  Mentioned that I wanted to get a jersey from the local Ballyferriter team (Gallarus), and a young guy at the pub said he would drop off one of his game-worn jerseys at our hotel.  The trip was incredible.

Anyone visiting should try to go for a game.  In 06 we got into Dublin night before Dublin/Mayo semifinal game.   Dublin hadn't advanced that far in a while apparently and it was hyped up around town as "bigger than the super bowl" to us Americans so we had to go.  it was awesome.  It helped that it was apparently one of the best games of all time (Mayo made huge comeback to win at last second and rip heart out of the Dublin crowd).  But that game (and pre-game drinking atmosphere) was definitely one of my favorite experiences from  a month long bar trip across europe.

Edit:  Yep, quick google search and apparently according to this article we witnessed the #4 top comeback of all time:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/six-of-the-greatest-gaa-comebacks-of-all-time-30977035.html

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm planning a trip for July 2020 (London, Scotland, Ireland), and while I may make a separate post for advice on that trip, right now I'm just trying to get a basic plan, so I thought I'd ask here first.

It'll be me, wife, 12yo and 15yo boys, first international trip as a family.
7 or maybe 8 full days in Ireland.  Fly into either Cork or DUB, leave from DUB, will be renting a car.

I'm to the point of having too many cool things to do and see already, but instead of wearing everyone out Griswold-style, I'd prefer to spend more time in fewer places (probably stay 2 nights at each stop), as I hope this isn't the last time I go, and I'm trying to instill a love for travel in my boys, rather than checking off a list of sights.

I'm pretty much set on some time in Doolin for pubs/music and the Cliffs of Moher, and a full day for Dublin before we fly out.

Big decisions I'm trying to make:
-- Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula/Sleah Head loop:  Leaning Dingle here (my wife is used to that), as we're happier away from crowds, and I see my boys could take surfing lessons at Inch Beach.
-- Galway vs. Killarney NP/Gap of Dunloe:  Tough choice, as I read awesome stuff about both, and they are very different experiences.  I'm leaning toward a couple nights in Galway, as I'm planning on a few days on Skye in Scotland for hiking/outdoors stuff, and it's probably good for us to do something a little more urbane and out of the usual for us.  Galway seems like it would fit the bill there.  Maybe save Killarney for a future trip which would allow for RoK and Skellig Michael, as I don't see any way to cram that in this time.

Any thoughts?  This thread has been greatly helpful.

20 minutes ago, Damor said:

I'm planning a trip for July 2020 (London, Scotland, Ireland), and while I may make a separate post for advice on that trip, right now I'm just trying to get a basic plan, so I thought I'd ask here first.

It'll be me, wife, 12yo and 15yo boys, first international trip as a family.
7 or maybe 8 full days in Ireland.  Fly into either Cork or DUB, leave from DUB, will be renting a car.

I'm to the point of having too many cool things to do and see already, but instead of wearing everyone out Griswold-style, I'd prefer to spend more time in fewer places (probably stay 2 nights at each stop), as I hope this isn't the last time I go, and I'm trying to instill a love for travel in my boys, rather than checking off a list of sights.

I'm pretty much set on some time in Doolin for pubs/music and the Cliffs of Moher, and a full day for Dublin before we fly out.

Big decisions I'm trying to make:
-- Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula/Sleah Head loop:  Leaning Dingle here (my wife is used to that), as we're happier away from crowds, and I see my boys could take surfing lessons at Inch Beach.
-- Galway vs. Killarney NP/Gap of Dunloe:  Tough choice, as I read awesome stuff about both, and they are very different experiences.  I'm leaning toward a couple nights in Galway, as I'm planning on a few days on Skye in Scotland for hiking/outdoors stuff, and it's probably good for us to do something a little more urbane and out of the usual for us.  Galway seems like it would fit the bill there.  Maybe save Killarney for a future trip which would allow for RoK and Skellig Michael, as I don't see any way to cram that in this time.

Any thoughts?  This thread has been greatly helpful.

With 7 -8 days you can do the following I wouldn't fly into Cork.  I'd fly into Shannon/Galway, visit the cliffs of moor, and then drive south through Killarney definitely do the Ring of Kerry, then south into cork, (Blarney castle is a cool site to visit) and back up the eastern coast into Dublin, and fly to points east from there. Or if you're coming from Scotland, reverse the trip, and fly our of Shannon.  

RENT A CAR.  Driving is no issue, and the people are very polite, and good drivers as opposed to the fuck head drivers we have in our country.  We did that trip in '16, and spent 9 days doing the Dublin to Shannon trip. Am dying to go back ASAP !!

• Like 1

Thanks, definitely renting a car to minimize shuffling family/luggage through public transportation.

Any particular reason to fly into Shannon over Cork? I was just looking for the cheapest destination to the western side, as the drive distances seem pretty similar.

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Thanks, definitely renting a car to minimize shuffling family/luggage through public transportation.

Any particular reason to fly into Shannon over Cork? I was just looking for the cheapest destination to the western side, as the drive distances seem pretty similar.

Galway was my favorite place we visited while in Ireland. Which is saying a lot bc we loved everywhere we went. There's also a very cool B&B on Inch Island just a little ways from Dingle. We stayed there a couple nights before finishing up in Cork then Dublin. Amazing country.

Edited by BayouBill

3 hours ago, Damor said:

Cork is in the south in between Dublin and Shannon.  Just kind of makes sense to travel in one general direction if you wanna do Dublin and Galway, for efficiency sake.

Thanks, y'all.  This and the Dublin/Ireland thread have been a great help (speaking of which, anyone seen @MidTexHorn lately?)

Looking at places to stay in Galway -- any strong recommendations on areas or specific places?  Crane Bar has made my short list for some trad, and it seems like that area or walking distance from it is a good spot.  I was looking at AirBNBs in the area, and The Heron's Nest looks cool, but I'd love some thoughts from those with experience.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:18 PM, Damor said:

Thanks, y'all.  This and the Dublin/Ireland thread have been a great help (speaking of which, anyone seen @MidTexHorn lately?)

Looking at places to stay in Galway -- any strong recommendations on areas or specific places?  Crane Bar has made my short list for some trad, and it seems like that area or walking distance from it is a good spot.  I was looking at AirBNBs in the area, and The Heron's Nest looks cool, but I'd love some thoughts from those with experience.

Whatever you do, stay in town so you can walk to the pubs.