For or against reparations?

TexArcher

Reparations?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Reparations?

• For
    • Against

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So instead of reading something and forming an opinion based on its merits you intentionally looked for a place that would tell you what to think about it?

I wanted to see if there was a link between Mises and Polanyi.  I was recommended the book like an hour ago, and ain't no speed reader bruh.  I really don't have an opinion on it, but respect Rothbard and recommended the critique to Fozz to see what he thought about it since he has likely read it. 

35 minutes ago, American Swindle said:

I'm cool with it, it lowered taxes.  I think I got like an extra 1200$ this year back (from 300$ last year.) The problem is the government never cuts expenses, it just grows and grows and has zero incentive to ever LIMIT itself so that's why it's projected to raise the national debt.  So there you go.  

So you're okay with exploding the national debt by trillions as long as you get some cash. Gotcha. We have a "fiscal conservative" here, folks.

What are your thoughts on reparations and free college tuition as proposed by Bernie/Warren/etc.? I assume you're for them?

Edited by BradInATX

So you're okay with exploding the national debt by trillions as long as you get some cash. Gotcha. We have a "fiscal conservative" here, folks.
What are your thoughts on reparations and free college tuition as proposed by Bernie/Warren/etc.? I assume you're for them?

I do not support free college or reparations.

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Live in the reality-based community. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO HEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE................................................................. wait you were serious weren't you ?  I'm sorry that was rude of me, mom always said never laugh at the mentally ill folks.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So instead of reading something and forming an opinion based on its merits you intentionally looked for a place that would tell you what to think about it?

ESPN built an empire on that phenomenon...

14 hours ago, American Swindle said:

I do not support free college or reparations.

So, just to summarize what we've learned about you.

- You are in favor of exploding the debt to give handouts to a specific group of people, when that specific group of people includes you (2017 GOP/Trump tax cut) and favors the wealthy.

- You are not in favor of exploding the debt to give handouts to a different specific group of people (minorities and lower income folks with college debt), when that group includes people who need it more than the rich who got Trump's handout, but does not include you.

You are not a fiscal conservative. You are somebody who is perfectly fine with ballooning our debt to give free stuff to people at the expense of our national debt, as long as you are the one with your hands out.

When you and your buddies are sitting around all triggered and whining about all of the moochers and welfare queens who want free stuff draining our economy and our childrens' future, just know that you are one of those people. You're just not one of "those people".

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So, just to summarize what we've learned about you.

- You are in favor of exploding the debt to give handouts to a specific group of people, when that specific group of people includes you (2017 GOP/Trump tax cut) and favors the wealthy.

- You are not in favor of exploding the debt to give handouts to a different specific group of people (minorities and lower income folks with college debt), when that group includes people who need it more than the rich who got Trump's handout, but does not include you.

You are not a fiscal conservative. You are somebody who is perfectly fine with ballooning our debt to give free stuff to people at the expense of our national debt, as long as you are the one with your hands out.

When you and your buddies are sitting around all triggered and whining about all of the moochers and welfare queens who want free stuff draining our economy and our childrens' future, just know that you are one of those people. You're just not one of "those people".

You're distorting my position and like I guessed were trying to set me up with some gotcha moment regarding the Trump Tax Cuts.  I'm for lower taxes for citizens and corporations, the lower the better.  I suppose we can argue whether or not they did, but personally they seemed to have cut taxes because I got a marginally bigger return this year than last year.  Also, I'm for less government spending and free trade (Trump's Tariffs suck.)

Here is my take on reparations that was posted in the thread earlier which you seemed to have missed.  Take Care. 

• Slavery was as Robert E. Lee put it, "a Political and Moral Evil." Calhoun also described it as an "inherited misfortune."

Slavery STILL EXISTS IN AFRICA AND LYBIA but it seems politically inconvenient to focus on actual real world slavery for some folks so they want to focus on a period of time when most of the planet bought and sold slaves of all colors and creeds.  

As Thomas Sowell puts it:

"Blacks were not enslaved because they were black but because they were available. Slavery has existed in the world for thousands of years. Whites enslaved other whites in Europe for centuries before the first black was brought to the Western hemisphere. Asians enslaved Europeans. Asians enslaved other Asians. Africans enslaved other Africans, and indeed even today in North Africa, blacks continue to enslave blacks."

The government has made most of the population dependent on giveaways and many have fallen in a state of complacency and contentment with no real incentive to become responsible for their own lives.  Reparations only exacerbates this state of being.  

This is just more political theater in a desperate attempt to get votes IMHO.  You want to help African Americans?  End the war on drugs for starters.

Edited by American Swindle

3 hours ago, American Swindle said:

You're distorting my position and like I guessed were trying to set me up with some gotcha moment regarding the Trump Tax Cuts.  I'm for lower taxes for citizens and corporations, the lower the better.  I suppose we can argue whether or not they did, but personally they seemed to have cut taxes because I got a marginally bigger return this year than last year.  Also, I'm for less government spending and free trade (Trump's Tariffs suck.)

Here is my take on reparations that was posted in the thread earlier which you seemed to have missed.  Take Care. 

So you're okay with giving people free stuff by expanding our national debt, but you're not okay with  giving people free stuff in a way that is paid for via increased taxes (mostly on the wealthy)?

Edited by BradInATX

Actually if it would get the crutch-clingers and scorekeepers to STFU, it might be worth the spend. 

Alas, that’s about as likely as aggy being accountable. 

50 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So you're okay with giving people free stuff by expanding our national debt, but you're not okay with  giving people free stuff in a way that is paid for via increased taxes (mostly on the wealthy)?

Okay with letting people keep more of the money they earned?  Yes.  You seem to have the idea that the government owns all the fruits of your labor and *allows* you to keep 60-80% of it.  

Giving people *free* stuff? Come again?  What are these things that you say are free?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkleton said:

Is there anything more degrading or insulting to the African American than reparations? Not with these fuck sticks...

Good arguments.  Doesn't persuade me, but not sure why you are saying that the reparations argument is degrading or that "these guys are fuck sticks", but you've never been[ a particularly persuasive poster so will just chalk it up to wrongheadedness.

10 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Good arguments.  Doesn't persuade me, but not sure why you are saying that the reparations argument is degrading or that "these guys are fuck sticks", but you've never been[ a particularly persuasive poster so will just chalk it up to wrongheadedness.

But you have? LOL. I knew you would opine because of your POS savior was in that video. You need to put your thinking cap on why it is degrading and insulting....

Not degrading and insulting:  Letting a black man express his opinion, even if I disagree with what he is trying to achieve.

Degrading and insulting:  Being degrading and insulting about a black guy's expression of his opinion.

(Didn't even need to pull the thinking cap out of the closet for that one.)

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, American Swindle said:

spending us into a death spiral of unfunded liabilities to the tune of 210-220+Trillion Dollars.  

It is also worth noting that the scary fiscal gap that Kotlikoff threatens readers with ($210 trillion is his final number) would disappear entirely if we paid the same amount per person for our health care as people in other wealthy countries.

http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press/larry-kotlikoff-tells-us-why-we-should-not-use-infinite-horizon-budget-accounting

(2) The worrisome 25-year and 75-year fiscal gaps of 3.4% of GDP and 7.4% of GDP are found in the CBO's alternative fiscal scenario--which assumes that future congresses will pass and future presidents sign laws that massively raise spending without covering the increased spending by raising taxes

https://www.bradford-delong.com/2014/08/oh-dear-larry-kotlikoff-fails-to-read.html#comments

at least we can count on republicans to massively raise spending while cutting taxes, so maybe kotlikoff is right.  i think the actual solution is to stop voting for republicans.

oh, and kotlikoff heaped praise on paul ryan:

I'm sorry, but Paul Ryan is not stupid, and Paul Ryan does not deserve to be called stupid. Anyone who spent 5 minutes talking to Paul Ryan would understand that this is a man of exceptional intelligence, extensive knowledge, unquestioned integrity, and deep concern for the wellbeing of all Americans.

maxresdefault.jpg

Onboard:

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, somebody who doesn't believe in flying any-corns who fart rainbows.. sorry to burst yer bubble there pun'kin...

Also Onboard:

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you think you're tweaking my nose somehow forget it. He [Trump] did what I wanted, he beat the most corrupt POS in Washington for the last 50 years.

The bonus is he pisses off the democrats regardless of what he does.  I won't shed a single tear when he's not re elected. If he is re elected I'll shake my head in disbelief that he could win after so much gnashing of teeth, and wringing hands by the left.

Again show me where I've dissed AOC, and extolled Trumps virtues. I'll wait.......

Spoiler

Hillary_Clinton_official_Secretary_of_St

BOO!

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

if black people of today in America are worse off than they would be if slavery did not exist, then yes, they should receive reparations.

If they had never been enslaved, and enjoyed all the freedoms of non-slaves in this country, and never suffered all the racial injustices between the time of their emancipation and now, then I think it's safe to assume they'd be a lot better off. So you're arguing in favor of reparations, right?

What I think you're actually arguing is that we did them a favor by enslaving them. Pretty transparent. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If they had never been enslaved, and enjoyed all the freedoms of non-slaves in this country, and never suffered all the racial injustices between the time of their emancipation and now, then I think it's safe to assume they'd be a lot better off.

Yes, I give you that if there were no slavery, but instead these same Africans came over in droves in the 16/17/1800's in search of the American dream, and they were treated the same as any other ethnic group coming over, blacks of today would be much better off than they are today.

But the premise of all of these Africans migrating over here is not realistic at all.

• 4 weeks later...