The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

29 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Thanks.  Now to make sure it feels right on Saturday.  The price couldn't be beat for a "used" LP standard assuming the reason for return is as described.

PSA, if you see this demo notice on something you like in Sweetwater, call them up.  The salesman told me they have a lot of latitude to make deals on things classified as "demo" and they got me a lot closer to my $1700 price than the $2,249.00 on their website.

Jnn7gSO.png

They are very upfront about any flaws. They usually have available detailed photos showing the issues. Most of the time they are completely minor stuff that you wouldn't notice if it wasn't pointed out. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I am fighting the urge and losing.  I am going to get a used late model LP Standard soon, I just am not sure this 2006 is the one I want to blow my wad on.  My ideal would be a weight-relieved honey burst or unburst with 60s style neck and push/pull wiring.  This has the weight and neck, but not my ideal color and has standard wiring.  I suppose I can always get a Jimmy Page wiring kit if I feel so inclined.  Edit:  Will be giving it a test run on Saturday and making a final decision then.

vgq1m1euttsofenqsqz8.jpg

That's a really nice color. It is outside of the typical color schemes you always see, and very classy. If I were looking to make a big spend that would be a strong contender.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

That's a really nice color. It is outside of the typical color schemes you always see, and very classy. If I were looking to make a big spend that would be a strong contender.

Yeah, since I decided to go the Sweetwater deal route, this is still for sale on Reverb.  The seller is  in ATX, open to someone playing it locally before buying and is willing to take less than the $1999 price on Reverb for an in person cash deal.

Gibson Les Paul Standard AAA Plus Top 2006 Root Beer
https://reverb.com/item/26204647-gibson-les-paul-standard-aaa-plus-top-2006-root-beer?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

Talked with my FedEx driver at work today. He's going to leave the new LP on his truck, so when I see him, we'll go down and I can take it directly to my car and it won't be as suspicious when I need to leave early because I'm "not feeling well."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deej said:

Talked with my FedEx driver at work today. He's going to leave the new LP on his truck, so when I see him, we'll go down and I can take it directly to my car and it won't be as suspicious when I need to leave early because I'm "not feeling well."

Am pretty sure you qualify for a couple weeks of paternity leave when your LP gets in.

• Like 1

Dunno about “worn in”.  I think of it as a color gradient with unburst being from a golden orange to golden yellow.  Less darkness at the edges for a more subtle fade.  The bourbon burst is as or more beautiful, I just already have another guitar with a darker burst color and the price was right on this demo deal.

That’s a gorgeous guitar, man.  A lot of pics don’t do these bursts justice.  Glare from the finish drowns out the flame.  Check out this angle on a bourbon burst that really lets the flame top shine through:

62-AEDDC8-56-DC-4-A16-B441-312-B743-DB6-

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That’s a gorgeous guitar, man.  A lot of pics don’t do these bursts justice.  Glare from the finish drowns out the flame.  Check out this angle on a bourbon burst that really lets the flame top shine through:

62-AEDDC8-56-DC-4-A16-B441-312-B743-DB6-

That pic is making think of going to to some gold or amber knobs.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:27 AM, Deej said:

It will be here Friday. 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's, in the bourbon burst. Way too much (north of $2k), but since I had paid down my Sweetwater bill to nothing, I figured what the hell. I'm used to paying that thing. 

It's Friday. Is it here yet?

If you could post the tracking number for us, I think we would all appreciate it. TIA

• Like 3

I just looked at the Gibson page.  If I were in the market for a Les Paul, just within the Original series alone I think it would take me a month to figure out which finish is "best" and even then I'd probably stress about it afterwards.  Lordy those are beautiful guitars.

Any idea on the main difference between the '50s and '60s models (not the P90 version of '50s)?