The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

New screen name, new group pic.

hO3Lrif.jpg

I can't think of who you are either, but nice rack! I need one of those. Mine are all hanging from those three way Hercules stands and it's kind of a pain in the ass to get to the guitars in the back. I like the look of wall hangers but my current room isn't conducive to them.

I don't think I've discussed this one much...my Epiphine Swingster in Black Royale. I know it's been in some pics. Based on the Joe Pass Emperor body. Black sparkle finish with silver sparkle binding. Bigsby with a Chet Atkins trem arm. Humbuckers can each be either series or parallel with use of push/pull tone pots. Kind of the poor man's Gretsch.G1cgGN8.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I can't think of who you are either, but nice rack! I need one of those. Mine are all hanging from those three way Hercules stands and it's kind of a pain in the ass to get to the guitars in the back. I like the look of wall hangers but my current room isn't conducive to them.

PMd.  And it's a Hercules rack, actually.   Good quality.  Comes with 5 neck holders, but you can add more too.  I'd say it would hold 8 electrics. 

I never got around to posting my 00-DB Jeff Tweedy on the Shag. I figured it'd be a good first post here.

I bought it in May of last year, and I hardly play anything else anymore. It's quiet, and it's mellow. Definitely different than the a spruce top acoustic. Sounds great finger-picked or played with a thin pick. Doesn't hurt that it's also beautiful.

MzC5FRzABnWXsw-ClHxZcjJPqaEGrvOiYa-m5BQH

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I already posted the Coco. Does that not count?

Fine by me.

But we need someone to purchase a guitar out of pure selfish and obsessive addiction. Even better if there's no special justification for it and it's a totally reckless financial decision.

2 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Fine by me.

But we need someone to purchase a guitar out of pure selfish and obsessive addiction. Even better if there's no special justification for it and it's a totally reckless financial decision.

If I had known this was all going down, I would have waited a couple of weeks on the Strat. 

Oh, who am I kidding? Browsing Craigslist, now.

Here's some temptation for y'all. This is a weird finish but this might be your jam. It's definitely mine. At $865, it's probably the best ASAT deal on Reverb (which I imagine is why the dude isn't taking offers). Doesn't look like anyone's ever even breathed on it. 

cg2dyt4hwdiktpvjwbnk.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/11035900-g-l-asat-classic-bluesboy-2011-model-black-ice-ash-ohsc-case-candy-gorgeous-guitar

• Like 1

OK.  Seeking the Shag's advice.  I've really done very little modding of guitars... only swapped out pickups once or twice, so not tons of experience here.  

So I've got a Tele that sounds gloriously like a Tele should.  I've also got this offset that is a Tele in every way except the shape of the body.  The offset is going to get a mod.  I've already ordered a half bridge so as to make room for new pickups (I realize that it will likely also require routing the body and cutting the pick guard).  

The guitar (BTW, AUTF, I think that Make N Music in Chicago is making another run of these with a hum bucker.  I'm just saying'):

Kz02dxXl.jpg

Old bridge:

RWYEh4El.jpg

New bridge (en route) to make room for the jazzmaster-size:

NUh6x9Il.png

So the new pickups are going to be Jazzmaster-sized, but P90 flavored.  Three options.  This is where you guys come in, especially those of you who build guitars (I'm looking at you, chad and jimmyjazz).

1)  Lollar P90 Jazzmaster.  It's a known quantity.  High quality and I know what I'd be getting.  I have an SG with Lollar P90 and they sound great.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-p-90-pickups/p-90-jazzmaster

2)  Curtis Novak JM-180.  Basically, two P90's with a coil tap.  Advantage:  available hum bucker at the bridge.  Disadvantage:  someone has to wire this shit up once it arrives, and it introduces a new layer of wiring issues/hardware replacement to this mod.  Also, if I really wanted a hum bucker there, then I'd just put one in.  Traded emails with Curtis, and he seems like a good dude.  

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/jm-180.shtml

3)  Kinman noiseless jazzmaster fatmaster.  Also a P90.  Advantage:  intriguing.  Found a few clips online that sound pretty great.  Seems like the sound I'm looking for.  Disadvantage: I'm on record as "let the damn things hum."  I have briefly owned two Teles with "noiseless" pickups (first and then fourth generation noiseless) and was disappointed in both.  Sold the first a year or two later.  Sent the second ("Fender Elite") back a week later.   So I am kind of twice-bitten on the noiseless thing.  To be fair, the previous noiseless failed to sound like a vintage Tele (to my ears), and that's not at all what I'm looking for with this modded offset.  I just want a great-sounding P90, not too hot, and these seem like they're a good sonic match. 

https://kinman.com/model-products.php?pid=1&products=Jazzmaster&linegroup=yes&modelid=34&model=FatMaster&group=Single Pickups

Thoughts?

Another one of mine I probably didn't give enough love to on the old board. A 90's Danolectro DC 59. Interesting tones from this one. Bought it because I loved Page's tone from his old Dano on "In My Time of Dying" and " Kashmir".

iWbtSzG.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Fine by me.

Is there another way to do it?

PW - I can personally attest to Lollar greatness.  I have a set in my Lakland Jazz bass that are just great.  Very responsive.  

As to the other two - well they both sound great.

I'm more concerned as to your cutting up a nice Fender.  Why not preserve the value of that guitar by getting yourself some Warmoth bits - routed to your specs - and have a new guitar?

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Jazzmaster/Jazzcaster/

13 hours ago, Equinox said:

I found one of these in a pawn shop in Abilene the other day

a33bhrof0rtomcprqvbg.jpg

I've got to go back there tomorrow. If it's still there I may grab it. 

What were they asking for it?  I remember when Gibson was setting these up to be a Tele-killer for the country crowd.  Didn't quite work out that way.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm more concerned as to your cutting up a nice Fender.  Why not preserve the value of that guitar by getting yourself some Warmoth bits - routed to your specs - and have a new guitar?

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Jazzmaster/Jazzcaster/

Yeah, I hear you about hacking on a nice guitar, but here's the thing:  This guitar was going to be my "Tele," but in the many months I spent ordering it and waiting for it, I found *my* Tele (I've posted pics of that one... it's a super legit instrument from the early years of the Custom Shop, and it's a magnificent war horse that got relic'ed the old fashioned way).  

So sort of like how couples spend years trying to get pregnant, and then the day they finally adopt, BOOM, guess who's expecting?  Really, a lot like that.  I borrowed, demo'ed, and sent back numerous instruments in my years-long search for *my* Tele... I went a decade on a Tele search and then ended up with two of them in a matter of a couple months.  

So while this Telemaster is pretty much ideal to me in terms of shape, cosmetics, neck profile, etc., it's sonically a bit inferior in terms of sounding like I think a Tele ought to sound, so it never gets played.  Last week, I listed it on Reverb.com for about half a day, before thinking, "Shit, I love this guitar.   Why am I selling it?"  And decided to mod it in order to fill the Jazzmaster lane (it's already halfway there), so that is going to require a little nip and tuck.  I think it can end up in a great place... thinking about getting black Jazzmaster pickups and gun metal black hardware.  Might look bad ass, I think.

Pron as pron develops...

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, I hear you about hacking on a nice guitar, but here's the thing:  This guitar was going to be my "Tele," but in the many months I spent ordering it and waiting for it, I found *my* Tele (I've posted pics of that one... it's a super legit instrument from the early years of the Custom Shop, and it's a magnificent war horse that got relic'ed the old fashioned way).  

So sort of like how couples spend years trying to get pregnant, and then the day they finally adopt, BOOM, guess who's expecting?  Really, a lot like that.  I borrowed, demo'ed, and sent back numerous instruments in my years-long search for *my* Tele... I went a decade on a Tele search and then ended up with two of them in a matter of a couple months.  

So while this Telemaster is pretty much ideal to me in terms of shape, cosmetics, neck profile, etc., it's sonically a bit inferior in terms of sounding like I think a Tele ought to sound, so it never gets played.  Last week, I listed it on Reverb.com for about half a day, before thinking, "Shit, I love this guitar.   Why am I selling it?"  And decided to mod it in order to fill the Jazzmaster lane (it's already halfway there), so that is going to require a little nip and tuck.  I think it can end up in a great place... thinking about getting black Jazzmaster pickups and gun metal black hardware.  Might look bad ass, I think.

Pron as pron develops...

Well, if you rethink selling it and filling the Jazzmaster laNE with a custom creation please contact me 1st. 

• Like 1

72d9960f3f1049543526f28541394007.jpg

I may have posted this before but this is from Zeppelin's set at the "Day on the Green" in Oakland, 1977. This was the setlist and you can see that they blocked together certain songs that used the same guitar and tuning. But according to my research from looking at videos from that tour, LPs were swapped out every song in a 1-2-3 cycle. I guess that made damn sure the roadies had time to change strings, retune, etc. All the acoustic songs are in open G or something close so I imagine one was purely a backup.

The Song Remains the Same - EDS-1275, standard tuning on both necks

Sick Again - same

Nobody's Fault but Mine - LP right

Over the Hills and Far Away - LP middle

Since I've Been Loving You - LP left

No Quarter - LP far right

Ten Years Gone - This is the Tele song and I knew that without looking 

The Battle of Evermore - Mandolin

Going to California - Martin in open G (JPJ on Mandolin)

Mystery Train (Little Junior's Blue Flames cover) - no idea

Black Country Woman - Martin in open G

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Martin in open G

Trampled Under Foot - LP 

White Summer/Black Mountain Side - Danelectro DADGAD

Kashmir - Danelectrio DADGAD

Guitar Solo - LP I guess?

Achilles Last Stand - A different LP

Stairway to Heaven - I won't insult your intelligence

Encore: (LPs all the way home)

Whole Lotta Love

Rock and Roll

Black Dog

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Has anyone ever owned a Breedlove? There was one on musicians friends stupid deal yesterday $700 off. Never played one before 

I bought one recently and chronicled it on that other board. Long story short: it was the one that got away when I bought my Taylor, and I always regretted it. This particular model doesn't show up very often. Two popped up on Reverb and I bought one.

And now I need to sell my Taylor 414CE because this Breedlove is TITES. The other one is still out there:
https://reverb.com/item/7058538-breedlove-american-series-c25-sme

Quick sloppy recording with GarageBand on the iPhone. Resonates like a mofo:

That is an amazing photo.  Whenever I see that double neck, I recall reading an interview with JP where he said after they made his, Gibson started putting the tailpiece much closer to the bridge because the LZ crew always had to special order strings for the top (of the headstock) strings.  They couldn't just pick them up at the local music store.  

Edited by Chad Fuck

23 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Has anyone ever owned a Breedlove? There was one on musicians friends stupid deal yesterday $700 off. Never played one before 

Buzzrock recently bought a Breedlove that he LOVES.  I've heard a clip he put on Sound Cloud and it sounds glorious.  ....

Well shit.....I missed his post above.  

Edited by hullabelew

I wonder how many Gibson double necks just "Stairway to Heaven" alone has sold over the years. Pretty good publicity to make the guitar that Page used to play the most famous guitar song of all time. But only live. In the studio recording, you're hearing these. There isn't a signature Page guitar (Les Paul and EDS-1275) anywhere in the entire song.

p2_u4dgorcnm_so.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017-05-18_at_12.09.34_PM.pn

1959-Fender-Telecaster-Vintage-American-