The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

The hockey stick headstock doesn't work with it at all. It should be pointy like the guitar, as it is in the original sketch. Then it would almost be weird enough to work in a small niche sort of way.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

It looks like it would be uncomfortable to play, as well. Watching that Rhett video it seems like the points would be jabbing his thighs and flabby pecs.

Sounds good, though.

Nobody on Surly has flabby pecs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We did, as long as we define "consensus" as "everybody minus one".

I hope I’m the one because I fuck with PRS and have one on order! Like I said I believe in a few things lawlessness when it comes to posting ALL guitar things amps pedals guitars in this thread, I love the silver sky as well as the PRS Head stock, the cock the pussy and long wet kisses that last three days! Letttsss gooooo :)

I have one guitar with the hockey stick headstock, a super cheap old Epiphone Strat copy I got for $10. It was my first strip down for attempting a guitar design project. I never put it together, though, it's still in parts. I started to a couple of times but the body is so thin I can't find a bridge with a block short enough that it won't be sticking out the back of the guitar. I wasn't going to put the shitty original back in, and really wanted a black one anyway, never could find a solution.  The body design turned out kidna cool in a cheesy hair metal sort of way but I don't have a photo of the finished version. I need to slap this thing together one day soon and give the Vagicaster some company in the DougO Hall Of Fail.

epihead.jpg

epipaint1.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

A Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem is probably the closest to the original that's easily available off the shelf, and only needs a body depth of about an inch - although you would need to be careful not to leave the rear wall too thin and fragile

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/73810/tremolos-for-thin-bodies

Maybe?

Edited by Deej

I have one guitar with the hockey stick headstock, a super cheap old Epiphone Strat copy I got for $10. It was my first strip down for attempting a guitar design project. I never put it together, though, it's still in parts. I started to a couple of times but the body is so thin I can't find a bridge with a block short enough that it won't be sticking out the back of the guitar. I wasn't going to put the shitty original back in, and really wanted a black one anyway, never could find a solution.  The body design turned out kidna cool in a cheesy hair metal sort of way but I don't have a photo of the finished version. I need to slap this thing together one day soon and give the Vagicaster some company in the DougO Hall Of Fail.
epihead.jpg
epipaint1.jpg

That’s bad ass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’d buy that if you want to sell it

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You really did a good job on that. It has a real Tim Burton thing going without over cooking it. 

Thanks, y'all! I don't think I would ever sell it. I did it with Prismacolor alcohol based art markers and it would probably fade with much light exposure and usage. The clear is just acrylic spray carefully misted to keep from blasting the color off, put on after the ink was really dry and lightly sanded. And it's such a crapass low end guitar I would hate to pawn it off on somebody. I still hope to get it functional and halfway decent playing, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougO said:

Thanks, y'all! I don't think I would ever sell it. I did it with Prismacolor alcohol based art markers and it would probably fade with much light exposure and usage. The clear is just acrylic spray carefully misted to keep from blasting the color off, put on after the ink was really dry and lightly sanded. And it's such a crapass low end guitar I would hate to pawn it off on somebody. I still hope to get it functional and halfway decent playing, though. 

Actually, besides the fact it was cleaver to use the prismacolor pens. You obviously know how to use them. I have some of those things, and like all mixed media they require some skill. 

The overall color/contrast transition really pops in that photograph. It flat catches your eye. Especially the yellow/orange/red area on the horn. That really photographed well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Actually, besides the fact it was cleaver to use the prismacolor pens. You obviously know how to use them. I have some of those things, and like all mixed media they require some skill. 

The overall color/contrast transition really pops in that photograph. It flat catches your eye. Especially the yellow/orange/red area on the horn. That really photographed well.

I didn't have much experience with those markers before that, but it was what I was playing with at the time. I found that on a hard surface like the paint on the guitar you can blend the colors easier, as it stays a bit wet for a while. I might try something similar with acrylic paint, but I never really learned that skill, so it would probably be completely different.

I was driving home tonight listening to James McMurtry’s live version of “Choctaw Bingo” at high volumes. If you ever needed a track to demonstrate the “sound” of a tube amp vs the “feel” of a tube amp, you could do a lot worse. You make a lot of things sound like a tube amp, but only a tube amp feels like one.

It also made me wonder if a “Songs that exhibit the Surly vibe” thread would be a good idea.

Got damn that’s a great song.

Fuck it, I tried to quote you but I couldn't get it to pare down w/o the video.

I totally get what you're saying about McMurtry's tube amp.  I had the privilege of recording Alejandro Escovedo one night at my dumpy little studio.  It was supposed to be his "orchestra", but he brought along his rhythm section "just in case".  Before I knew it all hell had broken loose and I had to stick his guitarist -- Joe Eddy Hines -- in the airlock between my "studio" and the greater Travis Heights neighborhood.  Those fuckers just got louder and louder as the night wore on, to the point where his string players just gave up.  We overdubbed them a couple of weeks later.  

The point is, take a player like Joe Eddy Hines, jam his guitar into a little but loud Fender amp, and you will hear God.  Goodness, the tone.  It was just brutally huge, and perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was driving home tonight listening to James McMurtry’s live version of “Choctaw Bingo” at high volumes. If you ever needed a track to demonstrate the “sound” of a tube amp vs the “feel” of a tube amp, you could do a lot worse. You make a lot of things sound like a tube amp, but only a tube amp feels like one.

It also made me wonder if a “Songs that exhibit the Surly vibe” thread would be a good idea.

Got damn that’s a great song.

I also listened to Choctaw Bingo tonight. That’s all I got.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fuck it, I tried to quote you but I couldn't get it to pare down w/o the video.

I totally get what you're saying about McMurtry's tube amp.  I had the privilege of recording Alejandro Escovedo one night at my dumpy little studio.  It was supposed to be his "orchestra", but he brought along his rhythm section "just in case".  Before I knew it all hell had broken loose and I had to stick his guitarist -- Joe Eddy Hines -- in the airlock between my "studio" and the greater Travis Heights neighborhood.  Those fuckers just got louder and louder as the night wore on, to the point where his string players just gave up.  We overdubbed them a couple of weeks later.  

The point is, take a player like Joe Eddy Hines, jam his guitar into a little but loud Fender amp, and you will hear God.  Goodness, the tone.  It was just brutally huge, and perfect.

Which version of Fender's Little But Loud line was he using?

I have always believed that the best guitar tone ever recorded, was the live side of Fandango. Not the quality of the songs in the medley, just the guitar sound. Obviously everyone has their own thing. But, for me it is that sound. I have tried to duplicate it many times, no luck.

I have read many contradicting interviews about what was used to record that. So it is anyones guess what we are really hearing. But it is wonderful…

to my 8 year old's ear, the most monster fucking powerful tone of all time was jonny greenwood going "CHUKKKA.... CHUKKA" after "you're so fucking special" on Creep. And of course that was his shitty little solid state Fender 85 with a Marshall shredmaster.

• Hook 'Em 4