The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Only boomers play Gibsons

That video is so choppy from editing its barely watchable, I made it halfway through. I couldn't disagree with the premise, which is based on one's person's observation at Coachella, more.

I see lots of music and lots of young bands. Quirky, cheap guitars are in no doubt. You dont see too many Gibsons because they are too expensive for most kids. Period. You do see a fair number of beat up Les Pauls and SGs, especially entry level SGs. The kids with a Gibson headstock are proud of them. They think they have a 59 LP so long as the headstock says Gibson.

While I'm at it, you see a ton of young women in rock bands these days. The future of Rock and Roll is female.

Here's a band I saw last week, Gumby's Junk. They blew me away. About 22 years old. Im hoping they will play a show with us sometime. She's on a pretty nice SG.

Resized_20220410_211850_517864580991718(1).jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

My daughter is in a grungy/punky all-girl band here in Austin, and the two guitarists play a Les Paul and a Strat.  I'm not sure of the provenance -- years, Gibson/Epi, etc., but they can play and don't seem at all turned off by a classic shape of either.

Oh, they got asked to open for Bikini Kill, so that's cool.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

They should acquire Bigsby guitars, make a duel cutaway with a Bigsby headstock, and dare Fender to sue.

The book "A Strat in the Attic", about hunting down old guitars, covers quite a bit of the Bigsby history. Fun read.

No pics, because it was a no-phones show, but it looks like Jack White dumped the EVH Wolfgang. He was playing a suite of custom Fender jobs tonight, including a Tele with a b-bender and a wacky pickup configuration (it looked like maybe Filtertron, P90, and humbucker) and a pair of those Acoustasonics, one Tele and one Strat. Everything sounded awesome. It was loud as hell. I swear his more blues rock stuff is very evocative of Zeppelin.

And of course I’m a big fan of guitarists who have more enthusiasm than technical chops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welp...sold the Les Paul. It was a tough decision, but I just can't make humbuckers work for me. Lovely guitar, but when I want growl, my Baja Tele with the 4-way switch makes the sound I'm after in the 4th position. I hope she found someone who will play her like she needs to be played.

Screenshot_20220401-191140_Amazon Photos.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1