The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

18 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

According to this wikipedia entry, after opening for the Eagles, Allman Brothers, Dixie Chicks, Joe Walsh, and ZZ Top - Dolan released a record that sold 113 copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JD_%26_The_Straight_Shot

he New York Times has described the band as a group of "well-known sidemen backing a karaoke grade singer," and noted that Dolan's "musical talents are unlikely to endanger his day job."

Lulz.

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

One of the local news anchors in Waco has a band. They are terrible. They get good gigs because of his local celebrity I presume. I can't remember his name, anybody in Waco can tell you. They'll also acknowledge how bad they are.

This I can respect.  If you can't go out and have fun being bad at music, then what the fuck are we all living for?  He can't help it if he's a minor local celebrity for reading the news or whatever. 

• Like 1

Dolan should just totally own the rich asshole with a music hobby role.  Fuck those opening slots, he needs to buy enough of his own albums to get a framed platinum record and put himself at the top of the billboard charts for a week.  No more half measures.

34 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

One of the local news anchors in Waco has a band. They are terrible. They get good gigs because of his local celebrity I presume. I can't remember his name, anybody in Waco can tell you. They'll also acknowledge how bad they are.

I think it's Gordan Collier. I don't think its celebrity so much as being hooked in with a lot of contacts, friends with businesses and such, and they probably don't demand much money for gigs. Just something they do for fun once in a while. I've never heard anyone say they were a particularly good band.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This I can respect.  If you can't go out and have fun being bad at music, then what the fuck are we all living for?  He can't help it if he's a minor local celebrity for reading the news or whatever. 

Yeah, there's not even a bad music scene here for rock bands any more, just country stuff, most of which is the modern variety that I can't stand, but has a strong following. I would give my left nut for a bad rock band scene again, just to kick back and kill an evening once in a while.

Yep. Dirty Years just accepted a gig playing last this Friday night, and I have a flight departing at 745 the next morning. Its gonna hurt, but you don't get to keep the monicker Shawn Rocker by turning away gigs.

Ooh yea that’ll be fun.

We did a Saturday lunch gig last week. Sat morning got a last min call for a 5-8 gig an hour a way. 6 hours of playing and singing in one day. You go where they call.

But there was no 7:45 am flight involved. Thank God. Good luck to you on that brother.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man I never heard of this guy before, but I’ve talked to the chief pilot at his company (same last name) several times. They had their 737 enrolled in a corporate aviation safety program and I was missing data for several months, called the guy up and he explained that it was the off season for the Knicks.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, DougO said:

I think I would rather hear a bad singer with a good band, than a good singer with a bad band.

My experience:  

If singer sucks, people will say, "That singer sucks."

Guitar player sucks... "That guitar player sucks."

Exception to that is the drummer.  If the drummer sucks - "That band sucks."

The rest of the band simply cannot overcome a shitty drummer.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

My experience:  
If singer sucks, people will say, "That singer sucks."
Guitar player sucks... "That guitar player sucks."
Exception to that is the drummer.  If the drummer sucks - "That band sucks."
The rest of the band simply cannot overcome a shitty drummer.

I think you have to have a good singer, at least an on key singer. No one will stick around and listen to an off key singer. And you have to have a groove. After that, it’s sad to say, but pretty much any old guitar player will do. No one cares about us, except maybe a few other guitar players.

I thought the guy's stage presence was worse than his voice.  With a voice like that, though, you'd better write some really good songs or people are just gonna ignore you.  I've heard worse, sometimes coming right from my own mouth.  (I refer to those as "bad nights".)

@Paul Wesley, did he open for Eagles here in Austin, or just some random show in the past?

I think his Eagles shows were several years back.  

I only know about Dolan because someone from NY told me stories going around among the musicians that Dolan hired.  When Tbone mentioned millionaires buying gigs, I got really excited to share the City Winery clip, but it’s gone.  

I suppose someone could have made a scene just to embarrass him, but it came off as a sincere music fan who paid $$$ at a reputable listening room, and got beaten down until finally, between songs, in a desperate and exasperated voice, “Please give us our money back.” (Murmuring, staff goes over to talk to patrons standing up to leave) “You have a terrible singing voice!” (More murmuring)

”Hey!  Do you guys like Johnny Cash?”

On 5/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, DougO said:

But I can't stand Mayor and his shitty fakeass cartoon voice

Thank you.  I enjoy listening to him play Althea with Dead and Co.  Then, he starts singing it and flat out ruins it.

I never listened Mumford and sons and had them categorized as just… hipster folk pop. Which might not be wrong but I’ve found myself liking Mumford stuff enough to begrudge him his obvious talent. Two examples of “oh that’s Mumford” are the version of Dink’s Song from inside Llewyn Davis (also featuring Oscar Isaac) and theme song to Ted Lasso.

Baby loved having this song sung to her but then I slowly realized that it’s…. maybe about a pregnant slave drowning herself in a river?

I got this one yesterday. It’s a 2019 Vintera 50s Stratocaster in Sonic Blue, ahem. 7.5 radius, vintage frets. Soft V neck profile that is really comfortable, almost U shape. A very well made Mexican Fender. It has a glossy polyester finish which separates it from the higher priced American reissues and Custom Shop models, but overall a well put together vintage spec Strat.

I got an incredible deal on it that I couldn’t pass up. It still had the stock setup and strings, protective plastic on the back cover. I polished the frets and put new strings on it just now, haven’t even plugged it in yet.

Edited by Foggy Notion
details
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

This is a good stupid deal of the day deal.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-mg710ce-masterworks-grand-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar/l80332002001000

But a few things: 

They list "country of origin" as USA. This model is made in China, though not specified here. They have resorted to fudging the truth. Still a very nice guitar for the money. 

No fretboard dots. Alvarez is that way with their above-beginner guitars. It sucks.

Restock? OK, still a very good deal, but if they are fudging about USA/MIC hard to say what that actually means.

Fairly close, but I'm gonna pass.

22 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Happy Straturday.

6ABB7CE2-D14F-4950-AAB7-00B96EDA61ED.jpeg

1C7B545F-D862-4256-93B4-FAE999612575.jpeg

32847732-6E41-4419-9721-133600206BBD.jpeg

AF04E4FC-1791-4B94-B76F-1F9F490161D1.jpeg

Cool guitar.  I think that Vintera line is pretty bad ass.  I have played a few at various shops and they all impressed me compared to more expensive models on the rack next to them.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Cool guitar.  I think that Vintera line is pretty bad ass.  I have played a few at various shops and they all impressed me compared to more expensive models on the rack next to them.

I picked up another used Vintera last month, a 50s Road Worn Tele in vintage blonde. Totally different feel with the reliced nitro compared to the glossy Strat. I think the neck is considered a U shape, feels like a really fat C. Pretty sure it’s the thickest neck I’ve ever had on a Tele.

90130408-252C-4E41-BD2B-1D1124899FAB.jpeg

CE32C89D-85C7-483D-AB8B-C24C16229F55.jpeg

7EDDA173-3583-4401-8501-294C0815D68C.jpeg

F591EC34-2937-42B8-942C-9C59E34977A6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Damn those are cool guitars. When were they made again?

They are currently in production.  Not sure when they started.  I played this 70s Tele deluxe at AVG a couple weeks ago, and it was a better guitar at a $1129.99 list price than the $2699 twisted telecaster deluxe next to it.  Just wasn’t quite what I was looking for.

E1B38B08-EED0-4631-84D3-4D22A7A0859A.jpeg

Vintera's are essentially the discontinued Players series, with a few small tweaks. 

I've got a Baja with that chunky V neck which is probably close to that Road Worn of Foggys.  Great fucking neck. 

I've got the Baja, Esquire, and Classic Players Strat which were all of the line before the name change and price hike. They are all fantastic instruments. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Vintera's are essentially the discontinued Players series, with a few small tweaks. 

I've got a Baja with that chunky V neck which is probably close to that Road Worn of Foggys.  Great fucking neck. 

I've got the Baja, Esquire, and Classic Players Strat which were all of the line before the name change and price hike. They are all fantastic instruments. 

Agreed on the neck. They’re similar. I had a Baja a few years ago, and that one had a really chunky neck. This Vintera RW feels even thicker. It might be about the same thickness front to back, but feels bigger because there’s not much V in the shape. It’s broad shouldered and clubby, not much taper.

Speaking of price hike, the 50s Strat I bought is a 2019 from the first year of the Vintera line. It was purchased new at Strait Music and the price tag that was in the case had a list price of $899. Same guitar is now $1099 on Sweetwater. 

And the neck on my Shoreline Gold strat isn't as think, but pretty full. My favorite neck I've ever played. Sublime. 

I never thought a Strat would be my favorite player, but here we are...

Edited by Deej

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I paid $799 each for my Baja, Esquire, and Strat. Prices are out of control. 

Rumor on the new American Classic series (replacement for the current American Original line) is going to be $2500-2650. That includes thin/flash coat nitro finish and hand wound pickups, but good grief. 

15 hours ago, topochico said:

Rumor on the new American Classic series (replacement for the current American Original line) is going to be $2500-2650. That includes thin/flash coat nitro finish and hand wound pickups, but good grief. 

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/the-history-of-the-fender-stratocaster-the-1950s

Finally, the Stratocaster was introduced in spring 1954 as Fender’s new top-line guitar, in tremolo and non-tremolo versions. The first known ad for it appeared in that April’s issue of International Musician magazine, and a small pre-production run began that month. It was a sleekly beautiful instrument bursting with great features and producing full, clear and sparkling tones. The first full-scale production run began in October 1954, with the vibrato model priced at $249.50 and the non-vibrato model at $229.50.

image.thumb.png.849723d2736fcb565553fe1b7a2fa45b.png

fwiw I agree, seems crazy expensive. just interesting to remember that it was not a budget guitar in those days either

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1