The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Plug for my buddy Julio - he and a friend of his just opened a guitar shop behind Lone Star Kolache on Anderson. Julio was the guy who did the actual work on that black Gretsch that I took to Straight Fret to get brought back to life - 

image.thumb.png.20e346c284704f68e14e7805c1f76ae2.png

https://www.instagram.com/moonmusicpro/

They just opened up. Looks like they have some... never heard of these "Berly" guitars before but it looks like some boutique parts-o-caster builder, they have some interesting looking pedals. But either way, if I was still in town and I needed more work on guitars I'd take it to Julio's shop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Plug for my buddy Julio - he and a friend of his just opened a guitar shop behind Lone Star Kolache on Anderson. Julio was the guy who did the actual work on that black Gretsch that I took to Straight Fret to get brought back to life - 
They just opened up. Looks like they have some... never heard of these "Berly" guitars before but it looks like some boutique parts-o-caster builder, they have some interesting looking pedals. But either way, if I was still in town and I needed more work on guitars I'd take it to Julio's shop. 

His shop better damn well be down by the school yard
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Couldn't find much about Berly guitars on the web except for this thread on the gear page from 4 years ago.

Interesting process getting this one. There are several of the local Blues cats playing Berly guitars so I asked one of my friends about Berly since I could find no website. He said you have to contact him via Instagram. I reached out to him on Instagram about building a Jazzmaster for me and he emailed me his list of conditions and if I agreed, he would get started. There were about 8 items on his list but basically it said this is something he does for the fun of it. He would build what I wanted in his own time and ship the guitar to me when it was complete and, if I liked the guitar, I would send him payment. If I didn't like it, I could simply ship it back. Lastly, all of the profits are donated to Wounded Warriors which is pretty cool. It took about 8 weeks to get it but it was worth the wait. This thing feels like a 40 year old guitar and it ridiculously light. Only downside is that it came in a gig bag instead of a hard case.

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I like that color pattern a lot.  But it seems on the high side to me price wise.  

I know I'll sound like a broken record, and @jimmyjazz gonna back me up here, but you can do it for half the price with Warmoth.  

They don't do the road worn look though. 

I hope they do it just to watch the thread explode.

And those Luxxtones get really good reviews. If you told me these were the only sounds I was allowed out of a guitar for the rest of my life I’d be totally fine with it (although I don’t have an iota of Doug’s talent, obvi):

I hope they do it just to watch the thread explode.

And those Luxxtones get really good reviews. If you told me these were the only sounds I was allowed out of a guitar for the rest of my life I’d be totally fine with it (although I don’t have an iota of Doug’s talent, obvi):

I wonder how much of that tone is coming out of those giant stacks behind him.

Even more coming out of his fingers.

My point is that video pretty much encompasses all the sounds I personally want out of an electric guitar.

My quandary is whether to get a regular SSS Strat, which I’ve never had, or get an HSS like that for my next guitar. I already have a HH Strat.

If I go SSS I’m looking at hard at the Road Worn MIM. Price is right and they get really good reviews (and I’m an unabashed relic fan).

Seems like now is the time to buy if the prices are all about to jump.

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Even more coming out of his fingers.

My point is that video pretty much encompasses all the sounds I personally want out of an electric guitar.

My quandary is whether to get a regular SSS Strat, which I’ve never had, or get an HSS like that for my next guitar. I already have a HH Strat.

If I go SSS I’m looking at hard at the Road Worn MIM. Price is right and they get really good reviews (and I’m an unabashed relic fan).

Seems like now is the time to buy if the prices are all about to jump.

On sale right this moment. 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-vintera-limited-edition-50s-stratocaster-road-worn-maple-fingerboard-electric-guitar

The relic job on all the Road Worns are almost exactly the same. They toned it down a bit over the original Road Worns. 

Plus, MF doesn't show you pics of the actual guitar you get. 

It does need more tetanus, though. 

Screenshot_20220608-120217_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

HSS with a split on the H is the most versatile guitar there is IMO

In mine position 1 is full humbucker, position 2 is just one of the HB’s coils, then 3-5 are standard.

If that Luxxtone had the coil split and the reverse headstock for the same price it would be on the way to my house.

In Atlanta, they have a benefit called 500 Songs for Kids.  This is the 25th year.  500 Bands, each playing 1 song.  Garage bands, solo folks, bands made up of families, young kids, regional touring acts and usually a couple of big name folks.  50 bands a night over 10 nights.  Once you get accepted they assign you a song and slot.  There isn't a roster of who is playing when.....just show and and see you get to see.  GREAT way to discover new local and regional bands.   Past big names:   Butch Walker, Angie Aparo, Janelle Monae, Drivin-n-Cryin, Cee Lo Green, and many more.  

I play in this one group and we only play one time a year.  It is for this event.  We all learn the song, then practice one night together, then show up at the bar.  This year, I don't think we are going to get to practice before the show.  I've never met this drummer or bass player. At the show, you have to pick from the equipment on stage.  So no warm up time.   Get on stage, pick up your guitar, plug into your choice of amp and play.  

This year:   https://www.songsforkids.org/500-songs-for-kids   Songs I Wish I'd Written from the 80s, 90s, and 00s.   We drew the 90s bar/song list and my favorite song from the 90s.  In some years, we have gotten songs I had never heard before.  Last year it was all Beatles songs and we got one I had never heard.    Luckily, Rich Beato does a "What Makes This Song Great" about our song this year.   I spent last night learning it.   What a fucking blast this song is.  I went with a Tele through a dirt pedal into my Marshall..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

very easily my favorite stp song. if they had been a one hit wonder I'd still remember this one - I remember the black and white music video, I remember getting the CD before a soccer tournament and thinking about it while running around in the mud. great song.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bittersweet new guitar time.  Found my Paulicaster LP-killer in this Suhr Alt-T.  I got it a week or so ago, but have been playing it trying to make sure it was the one to replace it.  Last night someone made me a good offer on the R8, I played it one last time, remembered why I started looking for a replacement in the first place, and decided it’s time for it to go to a new owner who will love it and play it more.

Headstock aside, the Alt T Is a damn fine guitar, and with some EQ I can make it sound really close to my R8.  It’s put together exceptionally well, plays fantastic and with all the coil splitting possibilities, is more tonally versatile than the LP.

43EE0F2F-E337-4FBE-832F-607248942100.jpeg

6A5C7803-4040-4EFF-ADEC-05C336AA6D10.jpeg

1EB76875-EFAB-4D6D-9EE7-40735C362B81.jpeg

205A2CC1-DF43-4BE8-BF2D-7DB001CC2A0C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

LOVE that color on the Suhr.  I used to have a 67 GMC pickup that was about that color.  

Yeah, I do too.  Just happened to be this one used at Austin Guitar House when a buddy suggested I look at Suhr's in my Paulicaster quest.