The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I used to love Gibsons, then I watched this video and realized I was out of touch with todays music consumer.

(seriously, diatonic scales above the 12th fret on a Gibson scale length suck with my hands, that's all.  Everyone else's mileage with Gibson's will vary.)

• Haha 2

I used to love Gibsons, then I watched this video and realized I was out of touch with todays music consumer.
(seriously, diatonic scales above the 12th fret on a Gibson scale length suck with my hands, that's all.  Everyone else's mileage with Gibson's will vary.)

Wtf did I just watch.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Kids today are too weak to hold up a Les Paul, and even a 130 lb Jimmy Page didn't have a problem. 

rock and roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wtf did I just watch.

A glimpse into the mind of the next generation of guitarists.  You know, the lineage of guitar greats — BB King, Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Van Halen, Twooba.

Sorry, man.  I owe you a beer at the next first annual Suhrly guitar pr0n jamboree at Deej’s backyard amphitheater.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I owe you a beer at the next first annual Suhrly guitar pr0n jamboree at Deej’s backyard amphitheater.

No PRS headstocks allowed. Any Telecaster (or knockoff Telecaster) is only allowed two pickups (Esquires are not Telecasters and thus allowed one pickup) and no more than 5 pickguard screws. 

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

If anyone wants to hear what the Suhr sounds like, here's a minute of tone.  First little solo is on the neck pickup.  Last solo is on the bridge

Nice!  I like the added skronk on the bridge pickup, but it's a lead, so that makes sense.

What's the signal chain?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Reverb fees. Shipping fees. Buyer claiming that there is an issue and wanting a new discount. Buyers wanting to ship it back after they have buyers remorse or sending back with damage. 

I have not personally had those issues, but it does happen. 

Also, is it pointy and "metal"? I am having trouble seeing the pics?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nice!  I like the added skronk on the bridge pickup, but it's a lead, so that makes sense.

What's the signal chain?

So that's with my Mesa Boogie MiniRectifier on the vintage gain channel.  All the tone knobs are at 5, and there is very little gain so that with nothing else active in the chain, if I play soft/normal, it's clean, if I dig it in breaks up a bit.  The speaker cab is a 4x10 bassman emulation with my Ox Box and that goes direct into my audio interface.

image.jpeg.90476d9a6763edbea3ce2ad59905458e.jpeg

image.png.08f2ef10fc61b8afa26c678cb7353856.png

For FX, I am using a Line 6 HX Effects multi-effects and have 3 things on the signal chain between the guitar and the amp.  First is a parametric eq block that I use to shape the sound to match the R8 I just sold (I used my ears and a spectrum analyzer to get it right, but its +3db at 104hz, +2.5db at 822hz and +3.8 at 2.4hz).  Next is an Xotic EP booster feeding into a Paul Cochrane Timmy Overdrive pedal.  With the HX Effects I can also place effects in the effects loop between the preamp and power amp of the MiniRec, and I have a bit of plate reverb inserted there.

image.jpeg.608b0b30587d7e6bd5145dfb4c7484e7.jpeg

image.png.5da2d9d172f4ceadc99698d7449ec1d0.png

So Guitar -> Parameteric EQ -> Booster Pedal -> Overdrive -> Preamp -> Reverb -> Amp -> Cabinet -> Audio Interface/DAW

Where everything in italics is an emulation with either the HX Effects or the Ox Box vs real hardware.

Edit:  Also, thanks for the compliment!

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, Celery Man said:

Plug for my buddy Julio - he and a friend of his just opened a guitar shop behind Lone Star Kolache on Anderson. Julio was the guy who did the actual work on that black Gretsch that I took to Straight Fret to get brought back to life - 

image.thumb.png.20e346c284704f68e14e7805c1f76ae2.png

https://www.instagram.com/moonmusicpro/

They just opened up. Looks like they have some... never heard of these "Berly" guitars before but it looks like some boutique parts-o-caster builder, they have some interesting looking pedals. But either way, if I was still in town and I needed more work on guitars I'd take it to Julio's shop. 

2DCFE6E4-EDE6-4534-BF09-221028BD9965.thumb.jpeg.97cf6a81e45404d3f78c4206db9ec608.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, topochico said:

Reverb fees. Shipping fees. Buyer claiming that there is an issue and wanting a new discount. Buyers wanting to ship it back after they have buyers remorse or sending back with damage. 

I have not personally had those issues, but it does happen. 

Also, is it pointy and "metal"? I am having trouble seeing the pics?

20220126_153615.thumb.jpg.6c4fec4b3528d4da22c087eb106ae30c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Alright,  dumb question. I'm considering trying to sell my LTD on Reverb. I want a decent return vs trade at GC or Sam Ash. What's the good,  bad, and ugly doing this? First time trying this. 

I've sold a lot on reverb.  Things I always do:

• List the guitar as sold as is with no returns.  You probably lose on a few buyers who want a return policy, but people have tried to return stuff because the neck wasn't as thick as they like, etc.... 
  • Thoroughly document any dents, scratches, chequing, etc... with pics and include that in the listing with highlights of any issues
  • If there are any issues with dents, scratches, etc... I make sure that the buyer is aware of them and have it in our chat log that they are fine with those issues before I ship the guitar
  • Make sure I have a receipt for when you purchased, as you will be required to pay taxes on sales over $600 or some stupid shit.  As long as you are not selling for > $600 profit over what you paid, you won't have to pay extra at income tax time, but reverb will be sending the IRS your earnings from their platform, so you need to at least be prepared to show what you paid for the guitar

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Ok so reverb sounds really unreliable. It's not urgent. Just wanting to offload to put towards another guitar.

I wouldn't say its unreliable, you just need to do things in a way where a buyer can't screw you.  That R8 I sold had some chequing going on, so I put these pictures in the pics of the listing so that there's no way anyone can claim this was a surprise.  
image.thumb.png.e0725107df4662aeef70f27b2021294f.png

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Ok so reverb sounds really unreliable. It's not urgent. Just wanting to offload to put towards another guitar.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you, just making you aware of the pitfalls. Goredho's approach is the best way to sell and should insulate you from the crazies.  Just remember, you are selling to musicians. Standard degenerates always looking for an angle. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

ok i actually thought this was funny

• Hook 'Em 1

In Atlanta, they have a benefit called 500 Songs for Kids.  This is the 25th year.  500 Bands, each playing 1 song.  Garage bands, solo folks, bands made up of families, young kids, regional touring acts and usually a couple of big name folks.  50 bands a night over 10 nights.  Once you get accepted they assign you a song and slot.  There isn't a roster of who is playing when.....just show and and see you get to see.  GREAT way to discover new local and regional bands.   Past big names:   Butch Walker, Angie Aparo, Janelle Monae, Drivin-n-Cryin, Cee Lo Green, and many more.  
I play in this one group and we only play one time a year.  It is for this event.  We all learn the song, then practice one night together, then show up at the bar.  This year, I don't think we are going to get to practice before the show.  I've never met this drummer or bass player. At the show, you have to pick from the equipment on stage.  So no warm up time.   Get on stage, pick up your guitar, plug into your choice of amp and play.  
This year:   https://www.songsforkids.org/500-songs-for-kids   Songs I Wish I'd Written from the 80s, 90s, and 00s.   We drew the 90s bar/song list and my favorite song from the 90s.  In some years, we have gotten songs I had never heard before.  Last year it was all Beatles songs and we got one I had never heard.    Luckily, Rich Beato does a "What Makes This Song Great" about our song this year.   I spent last night learning it.   What a fucking blast this song is.  I went with a Tele through a dirt pedal into my Marshall..

So you’re at The Earl next Friday?
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So you’re at The Earl next Friday?

Yep.  Our slot says 8pm but one year we waited 4 hours to go on.    Stop in if you can.  It is a fucking blast and envision a glorious train wreck.  We are called Jerry Attrick and the Walkers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

i lost it at "gibson let me tell you right now nobody gives a fuck about slash"

That was a great line.  And she had some good points in there.  Like I love LPs but I remember, especially when I was her age, that the super quilted finishes looked way over the top to me.  Less so now, but still, not as good as just a nice sunburst that lets a grain show through.

But the point about Gibson being stuck in the past relative to artists was pretty true.  When I went to the guitar show this year and saw several of the "Murphy aged" LPs priced around $10k, my immediate thought was "come the fuck on, man."  My point being it just screams Boomer excess, like the special edition Harleys or some other just completely over the top unnecessarily expensive thing.  You can't tell me that 5 years ago an "aged" LP, which was functionally the same as the "Murphy" aged were going in the $4-$6k range are all of a sudden worth $10k because it has the name "Murphy" in front of the "aged."

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

And just to follow up on the Slash thing, I was thinking about that some more and she is quite correct on that.  I mean, sure he was in Velvet Revolver, but his peak days were GnR, and that was 1991.  I'm guessing that's about 10 years or so before she was born.  Maybe more.  If Slash is your touchstone, you're out of touch.  

Also of note Fender was jumping all over Covid hard, getting their online lessons game together and marketing the hell out of that and lower end/entry equipment.  I got tons of emails/targeted ads about this or that new guitar or new effect or whatever.  Meanwhile, Gibson was doing the very tippy high end of stuff.

So lots of truth in that video, although the presentation was not packaged for me.  [tear sheds for lost youth...]

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, her style is annoying.  It is also likely intentional -- if not to connect to her audience, then to at least piss off her parents.  There is substance to what she's saying, though.  My kids, nieces and nephews don't know who Slash is.  Their eyes would glaze over in boredom if you played Eruption for them on a stereo.  They watch way more Youtube than TV.  I have bought them guitars, but not Gibson's because they are too expensive.  They won't have the means to afford a Les Paul Standard until they are in their 30s.  If they are still into music/guitar at that time, they will already have strong bonds to other brands.  Gibson is ignoring them and focusing on wealthy consumers who's bonds to the brand were formed in the 80s or earlier, and it likely will have a significant problem when those consumers die off.  None of that is untrue.

Edited by Goredho

I haven't had any issues buying and selling on Reverb.

I bought an Edwards, then a real Les Paul.

Sold the Edwards and a bunch of pedals. All drama free. Just make sure to take a lot of photos, document any wear and tear, be truthful in the description and you should be fine.

Eh, kids have a broader range than you might think.  My daughter can quote lyrics by The Clash, Led Zeppelin, Vampire Weekend, and Royal Blood.  She's voracious.  All her friends are.  I was tracking some scratch tracks for her band and all 4 of those gals knew every reference I made, whether it was Blue Oyster Cult or Jack White or Maneskin.

I think they reject Les Pauls because they aren't weird like a Jaguar, etc.  A Les Paul is the status quo, and they want to break the mold.  That's fine, it's a tool, I'm all for buying 3 tools for $1K each instead of 1 tool for $3K.

And, for the record, I think bookmatched maple tops look like ass.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Goredho said:

I wouldn't say its unreliable, you just need to do things in a way where a buyer can't screw you.  That R8 I sold had some chequing going on, so I put these pictures in the pics of the listing so that there's no way anyone can claim this was a surprise.  

How did this condition come about? Environmental?

D8A91BB0-72C6-43EB-994D-5DC9D27EC743.jpeg

23 hours ago, Goredho said:

Their custom shop charges thousands extra for that shit. 

17 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

How did this condition come about? Environmental?

D8A91BB0-72C6-43EB-994D-5DC9D27EC743.jpeg

I bought it used from Austin Vintage Guitars, and it had that checking already and was a point we haggled on price over.  I wanted to know if it would get worse, and they couldn't tell me it would not.  They said they thought the guitar probably was subjected to a sudden change in temperature and that if I avoided that it probably wouldn't get worse, but they couldn't guarantee anything.  The checking did not get any worse for the year that I owned it.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Their custom shop charges thousands extra for that shit. 

Yeah, this wasn't an aged guitar, though, more like new old spec.  So this was something that happened after manufacture.

It wasn't long ago that it seemed like all the younger artists were playing Epiphone stuff. I guess Epiphone was better than Fender at that point, because you know all those people didn't buy that shit to play on stage when the got famous.

I think the point was that Fender is doing a better job of marketing their instruments to younger people, with things like getting them into the hands of the people they are watching on YouTube. While Gibson guitars seem like boomer guitars to the kids because of how they are marketed. Not necessarily that Fenders are better instruments. She has some good points.

There’s also of course a cyclical nature to everything, and I suppose we’re in a offset Fender phase. I feel like Strats were not particularly cool when I was in my early twenties and they’ve come back as well. Not sure if that wave has crested.

It was Marcus King on the Gibson page when she pulled it up, and he’s like 24 or something. But, he basically plays boomer music or whatever so 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, DougO said:

It wasn't long ago that it seemed like all the younger artists were playing Epiphone stuff. I guess Epiphone was better than Fender at that point, because you know all those people didn't buy that shit to play on stage when the got famous.

Epiphone Matt heafy collection was just released.  I really want the white one. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPCHeafyBW--epiphone-matt-heafy-les-paul-custom-origins-electric-guitar-bone-white

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s also of course a cyclical nature to everything, and I suppose we’re in a offset Fender phase. I feel like Strats were not particularly cool when I was in my early twenties and they’ve come back as well. Not sure if that wave has crested.
It was Marcus King on the Gibson page when she pulled it up, and he’s like 24 or something. But, he basically plays boomer music or whatever so

Have strats ever really not been cool?

Other than when they have the cartoon headstock or are pirated by Paul Reed?
  • Like 1

I’m going to declare that strats were not super cool with the children from when Tom Delonge switched to a Gibson signature model in ~2003 until the mid 2010s. Tom Delonge is just a convenient line, but I didn’t know anyone playing strats (not in blues rock) for my whole aspiring rock star career, including when I took my strat as a backup on warped tour 2013 and maybe that motion city/relient k tour. Lots of Gibsons, teles, gradually more jazzmasters/jaguars, some short scale fenders.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

I bought it used from Austin Vintage Guitars, and it had that checking already and was a point we haggled on price over.  I wanted to know if it would get worse, and they couldn't tell me it would not.  They said they thought the guitar probably was subjected to a sudden change in temperature and that if I avoided that it probably wouldn't get worse, but they couldn't guarantee anything.  The checking did not get any worse for the year that I owned it.

Yeah, this wasn't an aged guitar, though, more like new old spec.  So this was something that happened after manufacture.

See, I would have been ok with that because it was not intentional. And it makes for some serious mojo if it spread out…

• Hook 'Em 2