The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Gooooooot dammit.

Due to the aforementioned expenses I was just coming here to ask the gang if $700 - $750 for this is a good deal. Seems like it is:

https://reverb.com/item/40758611-fender-road-worn-stratocaster-2018-white?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40758611

$700 for a nitro finished Fender is a pretty good deal these days. So is $750 when you consider that the new Vintera version of this guitar is now $1199. This one is a 2018 that probably sold for $950 new. This one is the 60s road worn. Should have 7.5 radius with vintage style frets, pau ferro fretboard and Tex-Mex pickups. Fender switched pickups in these in 2019 when it became part of the Vintera line. I’d ask about fret wear which isn’t really visible in the pics. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I ask for feedback on an actual Fender Strat and get nothing, Bogey posts the most hated guitar on Surly and gets covered up in replies. Cmon man!

Wolf music is having 25% off most things sale and 30% off in the store for Father's day. This Vintera 50's Strat is listed at $1099 and is $825 when you add it to your cart. Free shipping. 

Wolf is in Boerne if you are close by you can drop in and take another 5% off. 

https://www.wolfmusiccompany.com/products/fender-vintera®-50s-stratocaster®-maple-fingerboard-sonic-blue?variant=41587441631395

• Hook 'Em 2

Fender changes this up a lot but the 50's has a soft V neck and the 60's has a C shape. Both have a 7.5" radius. The links describe the neck profile

Here is a 60's in Firemist Gold for $900

https://www.wolfmusiccompany.com/products/fender-vintera-road-worn-60s-stratocaster-pau-ferro-fb-firemist-gold-1?variant=41581704872099

Edited by topochico

19 minutes ago, topochico said:

Fender changes this up a lot but the 50's has a soft V neck and the 60's has a C shape. Both have a 7.5" radius. The links describe the neck profile

Here is a 60's in Firemist Gold for $900

https://www.wolfmusiccompany.com/products/fender-vintera-road-worn-60s-stratocaster-pau-ferro-fb-firemist-gold-1?variant=41581704872099

Mid C neck profile on the 60s will be thinner/smaller than the 50s thick soft V profile.  If you prefer chunkier necks, you will probably like the 50s.  If you don’t, you’ll probably like the 60s.  Only way to know for sure is to play them both, but if you order online without playing I’d use that to decide.

Other diffs neck wise would be maple vs pau ferro (rosewoodish) fretboard.  If you prefer one over the other, that may be important.  I think it’s mostly cosmetic.  At least I’ve played great guitars with both and never thought “if only this had an X fretboard...”

The pickups are different between the models, and I guess aim at a tone from the period that might be slightly different from each other.  I can’t tell you how they might differ, though.  Again, playing side by side would be the way to know.

Unless you live in Marfa, you probably have a music store nearby that sells Vinteras if you want to play 50s vs 60s.  Austin Vintage Guitars sells both, not sure what they have in stock at the moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

69a576c5970c89c2d91a739c23fc3dec.jpg
I like the PRS. It actually feels really good for my hand size/shape, but I prefer a real silver sky :)

Fact: Leo left his own company because the quality stunk 

according to a podcast I listen to 

Beautiful guitar! I love them all tbh I really want a custom shop but always buy something else with the money.

Edited by Bogeywon

So I am watching the movie Endless Summer. The surf music in this movie was played by a group called The Sandals. I bought my 1970 Dual Showman head (which apparently was developed for Dick Dale) from The Sanadals drummers’s son off Reverb. Couldn’t have been used in the movie though since it was released in 63. Great tunes in the movie btw. /csb

On a related note, always surprising to me surfers don’t die way more often while surfing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

So I am watching the movie Endless Summer. The surf music in this movie was played by a group called The Sandals. I bought my 1970 Dual Showman head (which apparently was developed for Dick Dale) from The Sanadals drummers’s son off Reverb. Couldn’t have been used in the movie though since it was released in 63. Great tunes in the movie btw. /csb

On a related note, always surprising to me surfers don’t die way more often while surfing.

I saw Dick Dale twice at the Satellite Lounge.  What an absolute badass!

23 hours ago, tbone_ said:

…Paul invented his own thing, which is plenty unique and well received. But then for some reason just decided to become a Leo rip off artist.

giphy.gif

Something is either unique or it isn’t. 

There is no such thing as: “somewhat unique”, “kind of unique”, “really unique”, or “plenty unique”.

Is Paul’s creation unique? or not?

On 6/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, Bogeywon said:

Fact: Leo left his own company because the quality stunk 

according to a podcast I listen to 

Beautiful guitar! I love them all tbh I really want a custom shop but always buy something else with the money.

Leo sold Fender because CBS threw ridiculous money at him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

My search for a practice amp is over

image.png.54b74eb93333252d5ea268d03ea7b418.png

I have one of the MK-1 versions I got on sale cheap at Guitar Center a few years ago, but it was a GC exclusive sold without the input for MP3 or whatnot. It's a neat amp that growls. It really kicks ass if you can hook it up to a larger speaker, like the 12 cab I have. 

Edited by DougO

35 minutes ago, DougO said:

I have one of the MK-1 versions I got on sale cheap at Guitar Center a few years ago, but it was a GC exclusive sold without the input for MP3 or whatnot. It's a neat amp that growls. It really kicks ass if you can hook it up to a larger speaker, like the 12 cab I have. 

I wanted it for 2 reasons. 1) To practice at home because the Blues Junior is just too loud; 2) Wanted something lighter to lug to church with me. The BJ is 30 lbs. The Blackstar is 12 lbs. It’s only 1W, but I mix up anyway so I shouldn’t be drowned out.

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

I wanted it for 2 reasons. 1) To practice at home because the Blues Junior is just too loud; 2) Wanted something lighter to lug to church with me. The BJ is 30 lbs. The Blackstar is 12 lbs. It’s only 1W, but I mix mic up anyway so I shouldn’t be drowned out.

Oops.

I only replaced them 1-2 years ago, but I think the tubes on my BJ are giving out. I had to crank it more than usual to get any volume. Hopefully it's just a Sunday gremlin (we seem to have them every other week) because tubes are freakin' expensive.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I had a 1 watt head. It was still loud turned up all the way. 

Good. I still want some oomph when the kids aren't around.

18 hours ago, Superhero said:

2) Wanted something lighter to lug to church with me.

This reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while now. Some of the larger churches around here have a 6 piece band (drums, keys, bass, acoustic, rhythm, lead) plus a few backup singers with them. I feel a little strange asking them this, but are these people paid, or are they just talented members, a mix of both? How does that work? 

I wanted it for 2 reasons. 1) To practice at home because the Blues Junior is just too loud; 2) Wanted something lighter to lug to church with me. The BJ is 30 lbs. The Blackstar is 12 lbs. It’s only 1W, but I mix up anyway so I shouldn’t be drowned out.

This is funny because I love my Lone Star and I’m hauling it to a gig tonight. But it was 75 lbs and lives upstairs at my house. Im getting tired of hauling it up
and down the stairs.

I’m looking for something in the 30 lb range as a lighter alternative!

47 minutes ago, JSB said:

This reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while now. Some of the larger churches around here have a 6 piece band (drums, keys, bass, acoustic, rhythm, lead) plus a few backup singers with them. I feel a little strange asking them this, but are these people paid, or are they just talented members, a mix of both? How does that work? 

I think they often pay ringers who aren't members of the church, but a lot of those folks are just doing it because they want to.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

Oops.

I only replaced them 1-2 years ago, but I think the tubes on my BJ are giving out. I had to crank it more than usual to get any volume. Hopefully it's just a Sunday gremlin (we seem to have them every other week) because tubes are freakin' expensive.

Good. I still want some oomph when the kids aren't around.

i'm sure we've discussed it at some point in here but... yeah man Russia invading Ukraine and becoming an exile state has completely fucked the tube market. I don't think guitarists are being given enough credit for standing in solidarity with Ukraine.

44 minutes ago, JSB said:

Bit of both. I played bass in the cross section orchestra at my church when I was a teenager, and apart from the pianist/organist we were all volunteer. At the same time, the leader of the praise band for the youth group and then the more "modern" worship service was Chris Tomlin, who was definitely paid (and I imagine his band was as well, and he's now sold several million records). I'm a member of a local musician's group on Facebook and see a lot of worship band postings - they seem to be a mix of paid and volunteer.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think they often pay ringers who aren't members of the church, but a lot of those folks are just doing it because they want to.

TDPRI has an entire forum devoted to worship players. Some very interesting dynamics at play a lot of the time in those situations. 

Just lots of bitching about being underappreciated and under-utilized...more bitching about the worship leaders not appreciating their gear and set-ups...like a regular band but with more God. 

Lots of extra guilt from guys over quitting because they should be putting up with shit because they are giving back to God and the congregation....

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 2