The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, JSB said:

This reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while now. Some of the larger churches around here have a 6 piece band (drums, keys, bass, acoustic, rhythm, lead) plus a few backup singers with them. I feel a little strange asking them this, but are these people paid, or are they just talented members, a mix of both? How does that work? 

Played many, never even thought about money or being paid. Great experiences.

I got involved when I met my first church guitar guy in the late 70’s when I moved from Texas. I wasn’t a church goer, but he was, and he invited me to visit and play with their small stage band. Great experience…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Played many, never even thought about money or being paid. Great experiences.
I got involved when I met my first church guitar guy in the late 70’s when I moved from Texas. I wasn’t a church goer, but he was, and he invited me to visit and play with their small stage band. Great experience…

Never done it and not a church guy but I would do it. Pretty hard to beat playing live.

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Never done it and not a church guy but I would do it. Pretty hard to beat playing live.

My first live experiences were playing guitar for the church choir (Catholic).  Strictly acoustic, no electrics.  One Sunday the normal choir director was out, so the assistant let his son bring drums.  My god, the looks on those parishioners when they thought they'd accidentally shown up at an Assembly of God service was a sight to behold.  

Anyhow, I learned a ton of good stuff doing that.  Not sure what it did for my religion, but it was plenty good for my soul.  

That reminds, there's a church congregation that meets in the downstairs of the blue building across the street from me. Their band is way too loud, especially on Sunday mornings when I'm nursing a headache. The building was for sale recently I wished I could afford it just to jack up whatever they pay for rent.

20220621_141127.jpg

• Haha 2

Just lots of bitching about being underappreciated and under-utilized...more bitching about the worship leaders not appreciating their gear and set-ups...like a regular band but with more God. 
Lots of extra guilt from guys over quitting because they should be putting up with shit because they are giving back to God and the congregation....

They should play more Slayer.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think they often pay ringers who aren't members of the church, but a lot of those folks are just doing it because they want to.

I have never seen any money, nor have I heard a conversation about it. Not saying it doesn’t happen. It just never happened to me. Maybe I suck so bad, I never got an offer.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:
3 hours ago, Celery Man said:
Honestly it’s frustrating that still be largest crowd I’ve played in front of was the Easter service at the Woodlands Pavilion.

AUTF what is that a church for ants?

Salvadorians

probably loaded with pewpewsas

They did it! They made a combined bill! Look at the very, very bottom, last band! We're on a poster with Merciful Fate, a few Wutang dudes, and ton of awesome bands! I'm gonna be smoking a blunt backstage with Ghostface Killah and GZA, I can see it now! And i dont even care for the weed. Maybe I'll burn some bibles or something with King Diamond.

Seriously, I think we're making merch that says "First to be Last". I dont know, I'm just the bass player. Thats what I hear. waynes-world.jpgFB_IMG_1655877637945.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have never seen any money, nor have I heard a conversation about it. Not saying it doesn’t happen. It just never happened to me. Maybe I suck so bad, I never got an offer.

"...how about a little something, you know, for the effort?' And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

They did it! They made a combined bill! Look at the very, very bottom, last band! We're on a poster with Merciful Fate, a few Wutang dudes, and ton of awesome bands! I'm gonna be smoking a blunt backstage with Ghostface Killah and GZA, I can see it now! And i dont even care for the weed. Maybe I'll burn some bibles or something with King Diamond.

Seriously, I think we're making merch that says "First to be Last". I dont know, I'm just the bass player. Thats what I hear. waynes-world.jpg.bb463f60ae3589fabcc0e9eed19303d4.jpgFB_IMG_1655877637945.thumb.jpg.6265ce838fade7a9510592f7d7e317f7.jpg

You made it to the big show!
  • Like 1

We had a practice tonight, the last before I go to Croatia for 3 weeks. In the spirit of this thread, I snapped a couple photos of our guitar players Mustang. No idea the details of it but he says he's gonna get an E string in time for our 1st gig Aug 5, and might even replace them all.

20220623_191636.jpg20220623_191603.jpg20220623_191619.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Pretty sure its original.The neck's about the size of a pencil. My big hands can barely play it. I played a late 60's SG with a neck like that once come to think of it. Was that in thing on that era? Skinny necks?

Yes, they were at least on Fenders of the era.  But I think it's more that the Mustang and it's predecessors, the Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic, were all designed and conceived of as entry level student guitars.  They're essentially conceived for kids to try and get them to move up to higher price point guitars.   

• Like 1

The Blackstar HT1 showed up today and I got a few minutes in before the kids came back. There is no real tone control so it's a hard to dial in a good tone, bit I can live with it with some pedals.

That said, the neck PU on my LP is suddenly a LOT LOUDER than the bridge PU. Nothing has changed since last Sunday and this has me miffed. Any idea why this is happening?

Good Stupid Deal today. $400

Epiphone ES-335 Traditional Pro Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar Inverness Green

The exclusive Epiphone ES-335 Traditional Pro deserves a place in everyone's stable of instruments. At Musician's Friend, we're constantly amazed at the quality you can get at this price. No one does that better than Epiphone—this ES-335 is a well-built, gig-ready guitar. A set of Alnico Classic Pro pickups supplies the warmth of vintage P.A.F. humbuckers; coil splitting serves us a slew of single-coil sounds. If you've been hankering for a semi-hollowbody but don't want to pay the big bucks, the Epiphone ES-335 Trad Pro more than satisfies.

The Trad Pro features traditional construction Epiphone used 5-ply maple to construct the body, making the Trad Pro strong and lightweight. It's sturdy enough for the tour bus without being a backbreaker. The semi-hollow design gives it a touch of hollowbody tone with the stability of a solidbody—the same recipe Gibson President Ted McCarty cooked up for the first ES-335 in ’58.

Humbuckers with extra "oompf" Early P.A.F. pickups were most often made with alnico II or III magnets. The Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers in this ES-335 Trad Pro are type V. That makes them slighter hotter than vintage counterparts. A push/pull circuit splits the coils for brighter single-coil sounds.

Updated hardware that solves an age-old problem Patented in 1954, McCarty's tune-o-matic bridge allowed players to fine-tune the intonation of each string. Paired with a stopbar tailpiece, it's a super-stable combo—until you change the strings. Then, nothing holds them in. With Epiphone's LockTone system, you won't have to dig around dark stages searching for a stray bridge or stopbar—they won't fall off. Another benefit—more sustain.

This is the ES-335 to get for classic sounds at a working musician's price The Epiphone ES-335 Trad Pro is a solid value in a semi-hollowbody. You can't go wrong. A hardshell case or EpiLite gig bag is available separately.  less
Was:  Regular Price $599.00Savings:  Your Savings $200.00Your Price $399.00

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Somebody is gonna buy that. I need it like I need a crate full of magnum condoms. But you never know.

That is a great looking guitar and Inverness Green is a fantastic color. 

I have no time to play and everything is currently in cases in the closet. 

And yet, this thing has been a siren call for the past 2 weeks..... 

167F5254-5275-4AB1-91E0-6E2A69619B8F_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

That epiphone color just doesn’t do it for me but I’ve strummed one of those before and the one I played was great sounding. I, of course, am trying to focus on just being a drummer, so I shouldn’t buy any more guitars (or mandolins, basses, etc) right now… but…. Let me see if this glass of wine and gummy don’t recalibrate my impulse control.

And Topo, if that was within my grasp I’d have already been a goner. Fuckin’ A.

That is a great looking guitar and Inverness Green is a fantastic color. 

I have no time to play and everything is currently in cases in the closet. 

And yet, this thing has been a siren call for the past 2 weeks..... 

167F5254-5275-4AB1-91E0-6E2A69619B8F_1_201_a.jpeg.d6f537838b63e421497ed3f6f9f78bef.jpeg

Just go on and do it. It’s what you what to do.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Just go on and do it. It’s what you what to do.

Not today, Satan.

Besides, I still have a crate of magnum condoms to get through.

And those water balloons aren’t gonna make themselves.

Edited by topochico

Not today, Satan.
Besides, I still have a crate of magnum condoms to get through.

And those water balloons aren’t gonna make themselves.

You aren’t arguing with me Topo, you’re arguing with Willie Nelson.

It’s what he told Kinky Friedman when he was trying to give up gambling.

Sounds pretty sound to me.

When does our bass arrive?
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

The Epi 335 I owned was just ok. Out of all the Epis I've owned, it was far and away the least inspiring. 

The coil taps and stuff had me about 35% "do it." Looking at reviews on the build quality talked me down. A 335ish semi-hollow is something I still don't have, but don't have a lot of room for right now. I need to ditch some of my cheap crap.