The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 8/5/2022 at 9:55 PM, Deej said:

Twenty years ago today, my dad passed. A few days prior, he asked me to put "Paint it Black" on a loop for him. Still haven't listened to that song since.

Sorry. Just getting that off my chest and didn't know where to put it. 

Sorry for your loss. I lost a uncle and I can’t listen to wild horses to this day. 

Edited by Bogeywon
Dumb autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 2

I just stumbled across this, it definitely belongs in this thread. I love how Scott Ian just stays in his lane and looks happy as fuck to just be there.

CSB/ I saw Anthrax/Testament/Exodus at some venue in Dallas in 1989. Great show. Evidently some radio station in Dallas broadcast that concert. I know because q year or two ago I was on Discogs and saw an album of Anthrax's set from that show. Of course I bought it, what treat to have an artifact like that from a show you attended 30 years ago. I remember Scott being a monster on stage back then, always liked the guy since.

• Like 3

I just stumbled across this, it definitely belongs in this thread. I love how Scott Ian just stays in his lane and looks happy as fuck to just be there.

CSB/ I saw Anthrax/Testament/Exodus at some venue in Dallas in 1989. Great show. Evidently some radio station in Dallas broadcast that concert. I know because q year or two ago I was on Discogs and saw an album of Anthrax's set from that show. Of course I bought it, what treat to have an artifact like that from a show you attended 30 years ago. I remember Scott being a monster on stage back then, always liked the guy since.

I saw Judas Priest / Megadeth / Teatament a year or two later. Would kill to have a recording of that show.
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.a9704abc1a0ad2ec9a4c53c762cbf401.jpeg

I went ahead and bought into the Synergy system used, figuring I can try it out at a used price, and if I don't like it, I can sell it at a used price.  I got the SYN1 chassis, which allows me to add preamp modules with two channels to an existing amp with an fx loop, and then I bought a Dirty Shirley module and a Soldano SLO module.  The dirty shirley synergy module running into the power amp of my dirty shirley sounds dead on.  Like, literally the exact same once I dial it in.  Which should probably be expected as Freidman produced the synergy module, and the full mini dirty shirley head, but I am used to ultimately being left wanting by things that promise to bring you all the tones of various real amps. 

The Soldano module is good for that high gain lead sound, but I really can't directly compare it to the real thing.  I can say it radically alters the sounds coming out of the Friedman in a good way to make it capable of producing modern prog, heavy metal, djent, etc... type tones.  I can't hear anything out of the Soldano module that sounds like what Eric Clapton, Gary Moore or Mark Knopfler got out their SLO100s, so it may not be trying to emulate anything but the super gainy aspects of the SLO.

The next test will be to plug the synergy into my mesa boogie mini rectifier and to see if it can make it sound like a Dirty Shirley.  Will be trying that this evening.  If it does, I am going to list the Dirty Shirley for sale and buy a used Synergy 50W head.

image.thumb.jpeg.09f268fb68f3ab593d7ec1c29e256320.jpeg

Say hello to my little friend.

Kala concert size ukelele with solid mahogany top, back and sides. Kinda pricey at $220, but I wanted something that  I wouldn’t have to mess around because or bad materials, setup and build quality.

My daughter was the one who wanted it, but guess who’s been playing it more. 

EBF24153-6662-45F6-AB4E-95E603BCAD21.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, Goredho said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a9704abc1a0ad2ec9a4c53c762cbf401.jpeg

I went ahead and bought into the Synergy system used, figuring I can try it out at a used price, and if I don't like it, I can sell it at a used price.  I got the SYN1 chassis, which allows me to add preamp modules with two channels to an existing amp with an fx loop, and then I bought a Dirty Shirley module and a Soldano SLO module.  The dirty shirley synergy module running into the power amp of my dirty shirley sounds dead on.  Like, literally the exact same once I dial it in.  Which should probably be expected as Freidman produced the synergy module, and the full mini dirty shirley head, but I am used to ultimately being left wanting by things that promise to bring you all the tones of various real amps. 

The Soldano module is good for that high gain lead sound, but I really can't directly compare it to the real thing.  I can say it radically alters the sounds coming out of the Friedman in a good way to make it capable of producing modern prog, heavy metal, djent, etc... type tones.  I can't hear anything out of the Soldano module that sounds like what Eric Clapton, Gary Moore or Mark Knopfler got out their SLO100s, so it may not be trying to emulate anything but the super gainy aspects of the SLO.

The next test will be to plug the synergy into my mesa boogie mini rectifier and to see if it can make it sound like a Dirty Shirley.  Will be trying that this evening.  If it does, I am going to list the Dirty Shirley for sale and buy a used Synergy 50W head.

image.thumb.jpeg.09f268fb68f3ab593d7ec1c29e256320.jpeg

Results with the mini-rectifier were less impressive.  I still am intrigued, but I am not ready to shell out $1600 on a new SYN50 head without further hedging my bets.  I may decide to buy one used so it can be moved on without a big loss if I don't like it, or take the SYN1 to Austin next time I visit my brother to try it on and compare it to his ridiculous amp collection.

22 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

After I made the Shaggy Screamers, I made a one off for a friend from the prototype housing and spare parts with hand painted graphics. Somehow I'd lost the photos of it, but I was by his house today and there it was...

The Wang Drive!

20220809_135421.jpg

You need to do a Big Koff Big Muff clone.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

@Buzzrock didn't you have a Boss Katana? Several steel players use them. Thoughts?

It’s a solid state modeling amp that has basically every Boss pedal in it. It’s also kind of a pain to use because you have to hook a computer to it to really tweak it. That said I’m sure you could get a good pedal steel sound out of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

After I made the Shaggy Screamers, I made a one off for a friend from the prototype housing and spare parts with hand painted graphics. Somehow I'd lost the photos of it, but I was by his house today and there it was...

The Wang Drive!

20220809_135421.jpg

Pedal last seen being fought over by Billy Liucci and Bob Stoops. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I've got one. Plenty of great sounds just using what is onboard. 

Fair. But the appeal was being able to load up sounds made by other people and I find that process tedious. By comparison the Spark is way more user friendly but it’s just a little practice amp. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fair. But the appeal was being able to load up sounds made by other people and I find that process tedious. By comparison the Spark is way more user friendly but it’s just a little practice amp. 

I'm a mega fan of the Spark. I still have enough 1980s in me to remember the first modeling rack units that sounded like Atari special effects, and be totally wowed by what they can do now.

Not playing a club with it or anything, but it is damn cool

• Hook 'Em 2

Our Psycho Las Vegas set is a week from today and they just sent us the back line options. I'm thinking the Ampeg SVT Classic and SVT810 cab to run my Pbass through? Any opinions on Classic vs Pro?

I want to sound as big and deep as possible with lots of mids. Like velvet cannonballs hitting your eardrums. Screenshot_20220811-133554_Yahoo_Mail.thumb.jpg.db00eca0ff96c34392f0b997f021f0a9.jpg