The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

23 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our Psycho Las Vegas set is a week from today and they just sent us the back line options. I'm thinking the Ampeg SVT Classic and SVT810 cab to run my Pbass through? Any opinions on Classic vs Pro?

I want to sound as big and deep as possible with lots of mids. Like velvet cannonballs hitting your eardrums. Screenshot_20220811-133554_Yahoo_Mail.thumb.jpg.db00eca0ff96c34392f0b997f021f0a9.jpg

I'd say fuck it, plug into JCM2000 and go all Billy Sheehan bass tappy-tappy on them.

Seriously, I don't know jack about bass amps.  Can you delay the decision until a sound check and see what grabs you on the day of?

50 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our Psycho Las Vegas set is a week from today and they just sent us the back line options. I'm thinking the Ampeg SVT Classic and SVT810 cab to run my Pbass through? Any opinions on Classic vs Pro?

I want to sound as big and deep as possible with lots of mids. Like velvet cannonballs hitting your eardrums. Screenshot_20220811-133554_Yahoo_Mail.thumb.jpg.db00eca0ff96c34392f0b997f021f0a9.jpg

100% Classic with 8x10. I'm firmly in the bass should be felt more than heard camp, Tommy Shannon and James Jamerson are the GOATs. The Pro 4 is a hybrid amp.

• Like 4

I don't know much about the modern Ampeg heads, but if you don't select the 8x10 cab you need to be kicked out of the band.

For some reason I purchased a vintage Ampeg head and 8x10 cabinet back in the day -- I don't play bass -- holy moly that thing was loud, deep, and heavy in every possible way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I think the Classic may be more of the tone you are looking for based on your prior Koff videos. This may provide some better perspective.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/svt-cl-vs-svt-4-pro.937250/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Good call on acoustic. I was thinking Sunn could get in the mix. And… who played the puffy Kustom rig?

Those Kustoms were epic. My man James Jamerson actually played one.

Sunn deffo classic. I never got on well with them but they are legit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Good call on acoustic. I was thinking Sunn could get in the mix. And… who played the puffy Kustom rig?

I've got a little Acoustic bass amp that punches well above its weight. I need to break it back out. I've been playing the Fender Rumble I got from you, Celery. At least I think it was you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

If anyone wants an Acoustic 270 or 370 my old man has like 6 of them in the garage in various states of operability. He may or may not have gotten carried away with chasing them down to rebuild and flip (narrator: he did)

I might have a buyer for one, let me check

Here’s another vote for the SVT Classic and 8x10 cab. There’s nothing like the feel of a P-bass going through 300 watts of tubes. I still have my first generation blue line SVT rig that I bought back in the late 90s. Don’t know if I’ll ever play it out again but can’t bring myself to sell it. It is my holy grail of bass amps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

I've got a little Acoustic bass amp that punches well above its weight. I need to break it back out. I've been playing the Fender Rumble I got from you, Celery. At least I think it was you. 

that was from me before I skipped town. I bought that at the going out of business sale for the Brooks Mays next to Outback on S. Lamar.

As long as we're down the bass amp trail - when I was getting into bass, my guitar teacher had recommended Gallien Krueger and I wound up with a 400rb/115" combo. In a couple years when I was gigging quite a bit I wanted a big boy amp and got an SVT-4 pro alongside a 15" and a 4x10 combo from Avatar. But that fucking Ampeg never worked for longer than a few months at a time and i kept spending money trying to have it fixed only for it to shit out again. And at some point I ended up just running the GK combo through either of the cabs, and at some point I stopped caring about having a tall amp and just used the combo. That amp never failed me not even once, great amp. Still have it in my attic. The cone has also been dented for 20 years, still sounds great.

image.thumb.png.155a79aa26155c0592a43acf5cd7af1c.png

not exactly pictured is precisely how concave that grill is from humping it into 1000 clubs.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, G650 said:

If anyone wants an Acoustic 270 or 370 my old man has like 6 of them in the garage in various states of operability. He may or may not have gotten carried away with chasing them down to rebuild and flip (narrator: he did)

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Haha 1

A dark little part of my brain wanted to say some about Gallien Kruger. Coming of age playing music in the early 90s, they were ubiquitous.

I actually still have a Hartke in my shop that belongs to a guy that jammed with us about 10 years ago. I'm not a super fan of it but that thing is fucking loud. And every time I look at it I reflexivly think of the Tom Hamilton ads from Guitar World back in the day

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for confirming. Ive requested the Classic and 8x10's.

Evidently our singer is a little short in the brains. He's our point person and has the contact that got us into that thing. Ive been asking for a couple weeks if we'd recieved any info on checking in, instructions, etc. This morning I texted the guys cause its a week away and asked again. A flurry of texts later and our guitar player is at his place spending the entire afternoon responding to a bunch of emails that we were over due in replying to. Things like the gear we want, stage setup, and merch we are selling and prices. Ive never been a part of anything like this, very interesting to me to experience it.

The morning after our show last week I asked if we'd earned anything. They were surprized to learn that we should have. He emails the venue to ask, and sure as shit we'd left without collecting our paycheck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Thanks for confirming. Ive requested the Classic and 8x10's.

Evidently our singer is a little short in the brains. He's our point person and has the contact that got us into that thing. Ive been asking for a couple weeks if we'd recieved any info on checking in, instructions, etc. This morning I texted the guys cause its a week away and asked again. A flurry of texts later and our guitar player is at his place spending the entire afternoon responding to a bunch of emails that we were over due in replying to. Things like the gear we want, stage setup, and merch we are selling and prices. Ive never been a part of anything like this, very interesting to me to experience it.

The morning after our show last week I asked if we'd earned anything. They were surprized to learn that we should have. He emails the venue to ask, and sure as shit we'd left without collecting our paycheck.

Well obviously he's not intelligent, otherwise he would be a guitar player

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The bass player from the first high school band I was in played one.  I fucking LOVED that thing.  I think it might have belonged to the high school, but it stayed at his house.  What a cool look.  I actually played my guitar through it as well.  

In 2014, I bought a Les Paul and knew I needed a Marshall so Paul Wesley sold me a Class 5.  I loved the amp, but that Les Paul just didn't love me back and life is too short to drool over that beautiful guitar hanging on the wall and knowing it didn't love me, I traded it for something really old.  But I kept the Class 5.  

I picked up that hollow bodied Gretsch last week.  Right now I have a Blues Jr., Vox AC4 and the Marshall.  Had to give the 65 Deluxe Reverb back to my brother.  (sad panda)

I'm test driving a Vox AC10 and AC15...thinking they would go well with the Gretsch.  Thought maybe I didn't need that Marshall anymore and would use that as a down payment on either a new Vox or a pedal steel amp.  Then, I decided to plug that Gretsch into the Marshall and turn everything up to 10, just for one last ear-ringing moment.  Holy fuck......that amp really won't work for any of the groups I play with but when my wife pisses me off or I just need to burn up some nervous energy????????  That guitar and that amp get really angry and gritty together.   Also, I'm playing with the settings on my compressor to really drag out the sustain.  I mute a lot with my right hand and with the Gretsch, it really stops the sound, much more than on any other guitar I have.  So, I'm really enjoying 'learning' to play a different way....and REALLY REALLY FUCKING LOUD.    That is all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

In 2014, I bought a Les Paul and knew I needed a Marshall so Paul Wesley sold me a Class 5.  I loved the amp, but that Les Paul just didn't love me back and life is too short to drool over that beautiful guitar hanging on the wall and knowing it didn't love me, I traded it for something really old.  But I kept the Class 5.  

I picked up that hollow bodied Gretsch last week.  Right now I have a Blues Jr., Vox AC4 and the Marshall.  Had to give the 65 Deluxe Reverb back to my brother.  (sad panda)

I'm test driving a Vox AC10 and AC15...thinking they would go well with the Gretsch.  Thought maybe I didn't need that Marshall anymore and would use that as a down payment on either a new Vox or a pedal steel amp.  Then, I decided to plug that Gretsch into the Marshall and turn everything up to 10, just for one last ear-ringing moment.  Holy fuck......that amp really won't work for any of the groups I play with but when my wife pisses me off or I just need to burn up some nervous energy????????  That guitar and that amp get really angry and gritty together.   Also, I'm playing with the settings on my compressor to really drag out the sustain.  I mute a lot with my right hand and with the Gretsch, it really stops the sound, much more than on any other guitar I have.  So, I'm really enjoying 'learning' to play a different way....and REALLY REALLY FUCKING LOUD.    That is all.

There's been so many times where I have been into this that or the other guitar, amp, music style or whatever. Digging this or that. Had  some grand theory and told myself oh you have found the sound now. And no matter how many times this has happened, I have on a whim or something plugged one of my guitars into a cranked Marshall, and just been like, fuck. It's a singular thing. It's not right for everything, or even most things. But it's fucking rad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have my buddy's 1x15 Fender cab that his family gave me after he passed away a couple of years ago. I probably should pass it on to someone who could get some use out of it and rock on. But it's tough.

I also have a couple of his small bass heads. I'll probably keep the little Elf and move the TC on. I have a couple of basses and a Rumble 40 that are more than I'll ever need, since I haven't touched any of it in a good while.

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

I have my buddy's 1x15 Fender cab that his family gave me after he passed away a couple of years ago. I probably should pass it on to someone who could get some use out of it and rock on. But it's tough.

I also have a couple of his small bass heads. I'll probably keep the little Elf and move the TC on. I have a couple of basses and a Rumble 40 that are more than I'll ever need, since I haven't touched any of it in a good while.

This post would go better with pics.

That said, I bought a Rumble off my Dad and it has become my premier bass practice amp.  You can dial it down at home, but it'll hang with the band in the practice room.  Plus I can do one handed shoulder lifts with it.  Super light.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, G650 said:

Those Kustoms were epic. My man James Jamerson actually played one.

Sunn deffo classic. I never got on well with them but they are legit.

I had a 1970 Sunn 4x12 for almost 30 years that I used with my Bassman 100 (for guitar).  Had a good sound.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

holy shit it’s just a vocal masterpiece by Stevie.

Agreed.  I think it’s kind of cool to listen to demo versions of songs that turned out to be great.  In one of the Stones documentaries you can watch them rehearsing “Gimme Shelter,” and it’s a bit of a train wreck.  I’ve heard unused takes (probably on YouTube) of “Seventeen,” and it feels slow and uninspired.  You would never predict that all those parts were about to get really amazing.  

NGD. Had my eye on this for a while at Fuller’s here in HTown. Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex strat. Basically a Mexican strat with upgraded “Tex Mex” (higher output) pickups. I love the neck/fretboard without all that glossy sticky lacquer or whatever it is.
1b0dc3dd7f6c237262996b59c3997c37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

NGD. Had my eye on this for a while at Fuller’s here in HTown. Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex strat. Basically a Mexican strat with upgraded “Tex Mex” (higher output) pickups. I love the neck/fretboard without all that glossy sticky lacquer or whatever it is.
1b0dc3dd7f6c237262996b59c3997c37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beauty.

Do I see a Supa Puss delay on the board there? Very nice,.

• Hook 'Em 1