The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Ok I don’t know if you guys give a shit about this stuff but I just got something called an EV 30M from electro voice. It’s a tower pa speaker. The M stands for built in digital mixer you can control with a phone or tablet

70610ead0535cdc9d761ee802a05309f.jpg

b2f22d83974e4b11b5446699a953f155.jpg

Lots of people make these things but they all suck. Including the Bose models. Which is why I’ve been lugging around QSCs and a mixer etc.

I’ve been reading really good reviews about these. And we have some out of town gigs in a few weeks that are too far to drive to so I bought this today to ship up there and ship back.

Holy shit does it sound fantastic. This thing is really really good. They make a bigger EV 50M that I will probably go get as well once they are back in stock. Completely blown away.

Fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I have a pair of EV monitors -- sorta wedge shaped, can double as mains for small shows -- they sound fantastic.  Well, one does.  The other is blown.  Rather than go to the hassle of sending it back for repair, I bought some similar sized cheap version from Guitar Center or some such and it is NOTHING like the EV counterpart.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm so bad about changing strings. I like them a little dead, but that's probably a factor of toning down that bite on my Telecasters. 

Anyway, I went to change strings on more than a few guitars today, only to realize I had one set left. Logged into Amazon and went to my past purchases and saw my last order was 2018. Oops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Green slinky 10s on the electrics. D’addario phosphor bronze 12s on the acoustics.

I can go a while on the electrics.

On the acoustics October - june when it’s not humid I can get 3 weeks out of a set (1 or 2 gigs a week). During monsoon season July-Sep when it’s humid I change them every week.

9 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm so bad about changing strings. I like them a little dead, but that's probably a factor of toning down that bite on my Telecasters. 

Anyway, I went to change strings on more than a few guitars today, only to realize I had one set left. Logged into Amazon and went to my past purchases and saw my last order was 2018. Oops. 

I opened a pack of Slinkys month before last, and the plain strings had rusted. So yeah.

16 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I buy the D'Addario 10 packs. I keep 10s on all my guitars except the orange Gretsch, which gets 11s w a wound G. Thanks for reminding me to order strings for it, I'm leaning toward playing it at the Vary Mary reunion show in 2 weeks.

Do you use the D'Addario NYXL or just the XL?   I have been using the NYXLs (10s) on all of my guitars but wondering if they were worth the extra money.  I have been using a wound G on my 62 Epiphone and like that so going to try that on the new Gretsch as well.  

On 8/13/2022 at 7:05 PM, tbone_ said:

Ok I don’t know if you guys give a shit about this stuff but I just got something called an EV 30M from electro voice. It’s a tower pa speaker. The M stands for built in digital mixer you can control with a phone or tablet

70610ead0535cdc9d761ee802a05309f.jpg

b2f22d83974e4b11b5446699a953f155.jpg

Lots of people make these things but they all suck. Including the Bose models. Which is why I’ve been lugging around QSCs and a mixer etc.

I’ve been reading really good reviews about these. And we have some out of town gigs in a few weeks that are too far to drive to so I bought this today to ship up there and ship back.

Holy shit does it sound fantastic. This thing is really really good. They make a bigger EV 50M that I will probably go get as well once they are back in stock. Completely blown away.

Fwiw.

I have the new JBL version. We had a gig and the Venue PA underwhelmed, so we ran everything through my JBL and it sounded awesome.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRXOne--jbl-prx-one-powered-column-pa-speaker

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

2 days before the big show our guitar player decides is the right time to grab the tailpipe of a freshly restored 66 bsa thunderbolt.

I was worried how he could hold a pick until I remembered that he uses a Lee press on nail for a pick. Glues one on before every practice. Resized_Resized_20220816_093012(1).jpg

We once opened for Junior Brown and he wouldn't shake my hand.  He wasn't trying to be a dick, it's just that every cent he makes comes from his hands.

I was young, and thought he was kind of being an asshole.  But I get it now.

By the way, it was just me and a buddy who'd been tagged as local yokels to play and we had zero practice time. We suuuuuucked.  It was embarrassing.  

But I still get to tell this story of how we once opened for Junior Brown.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Probably my all time favorite story about my Dad is they opened for Wild Cherry's last gig ever. Such a ridiculously goofy band.

• Hook 'Em 2

(catching up on the thread and the string talk)

About 20 years ago, I was on vacation, and people were sitting at a river one evening passing around an acoustic and singing (mostly original) songs.  The owner of the guitar later asked me if I had heard these Elixir strings - which were kind of a new thing at the time.  I told her I guess they were okay for people who just hate changing strings, but I thought they sounded really mediocre for a good long time.  Then I added some comment about how if I were going in the studio to try and record a masterpiece, I’d pick literally almost any other set of strings.  

I later found out that she had just spent her very last dollar making her debut album using those exact strings on that exact guitar.  

Oof.  I feel terrible just telling the story.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

About 20 years ago, I was on vacation, and people were sitting at a river one evening passing around an acoustic and singing (mostly original) songs.  The owner of the guitar later asked me if I had heard these Elixir strings - which were kind of a new thing at the time.  I told her I guess they were okay for people who just hate changing strings, but I thought they sounded really mediocre for a good long time.  Then I added some comment about how if I were going in the studio to try and record a masterpiece, I’d pick literally almost any other set of strings.  

I later found out that she had just spent her very last dollar making her debut album using those exact strings on that exact guitar.  

How'd the record do?

What I hated about the Elixirs was that after a while, all that plastic on the strings started coming apart and your strings looked like a ziplock your dogs got after. 

54 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

How'd the record do?

What I hated about the Elixirs was that after a while, all that plastic on the strings started coming apart and your strings looked like a ziplock your dogs got after. 

Yeah, that's the real fly in the ointment for those. I don't mind them new, because they don't sound like new strings. But you don't want no raggedy ass strings on your guitar. So it sort of defeats the purpose of paying more for them.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

We once opened for Junior Brown and he wouldn't shake my hand.  He wasn't trying to be a dick, it's just that every cent he makes comes from his hands.

By the way, it was just me and a buddy who'd been tagged as local yokels to play and we had zero practice time. We suuuuuucked.  It was embarrassing.  

I once dropped a Junior Mint in the soundhole. That's as close as I can get.

If we make it through the weekend, I'm going to forever tell people about the time we opened for Merciful Fate at their 1st show on American soil in 23 years!

I hate the Elixirs for the same reason. For whatever reason, from the moment I moved to the Bay Area strings started last me about 3 times as long as ever before. They used to get built up with like black gunk I could strip away with a pick. Strings are long dead before I get any buildup now. I dont know if its the climate or if my body chemistry changed.

And I hate when I accidentally leave an acoustic out in the living room before a party. Inevitably somebody's going to pick it, turn off the record player, then expect everybody to shut up and listen to them. Like, book a show if you need some attention, this is social time!

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I am thinking of buying a Silver Sky SE - someone talk me out of it...

BTW - i have been mostly playing my Blue Lava (90%) as it just easy to pickup with no amp and it sounds great all the time (hardly ever have to tune it).  I have no regrets on that purchase.

DO IT! Love mine. Just the right amount of headstock ;)