The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I must’ve been in a bad mood because I still remember being annoyed on the Motion City tour in…. Vegas at the Hard Rock Cafe when we got to the venue and it was all hangers on and girlfriends of the local opening band drinking and eating everything and sitting in all of the seats. Goddammit you guys are sleeping in your bed tonight and I’ve been shitting in truck stops for a month let me lay down somewhere.

Actually I think a key component of that was that it was hours before the show, like mid afternoon, and they were already there. 

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

You're not wrong.

That venue Winters that we played and I love actually has a little studio apartment upstairs that bands can use, but its reserved for the touring band if there is one. Its just a sectional somebody can nap on, but there's a shitter and a shower thats key. There's also a fridge so you can drink cheap byob beers instead of buying them at the bar. He throws samples vendors leave behind in there for them. Good venue and the owner is really about supporting bands and live music. In fact, when it came to light that his bar tender had paid all the money to the opening band who none of us knew, he paid us out of his own pocket.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

Whoa there Bill Gates, the rest of us had to get by on gas station food.

Taco Bell had quite the reputation for years as a decent source of vegetarian food for touring bands (bean & cheese burrito, 7-layer burrito, etc.).

I never believed they were ACTUALLY vegetarian.

• Like 1

Holy shit. This Spark 40 is a shit ton of fun. I can't believe how good it sounds. Haven't gotten to really turn it up yet but the presets are fun to work through.

I fucked and attached it to the wrong Spotify account and can't figure out how to detach it but I'm researching that and will spend tomorrow going thru YouTube videos about this toy.

When I get back home, I'll be sitting in with a local songwriting on guitar at open mic nights and I think this thing will be perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Taco Bell had quite the reputation for years as a decent source of vegetarian food for touring bands (bean & cheese burrito, 7-layer burrito, etc.).

I never believed they were ACTUALLY vegetarian.

I actually ate a shit load of Taco Bell, I was just messing. You could literally pool the change from the cupholder and under the seats and get some Tacos. A friend had to break 100 dollar bill there once and I was like "I think you just bought this franchise"

6 hours ago, hullabelew said:

This Spark 40 is a shit ton of fun.

Right? I was very impressed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Heh.  I'm acquainted with the bassist for that era of Heart.  He's not proud.  The sisters aren't proud, either, although they liked the money.  They see themselves as songwriters and are pretty regretful that they went with corporate schlock-writers just to ride the hair band wave.

Crying all the way to the bank.  Must be terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Crying all the way to the bank.  Must be terrible.

I'd like to know if the Wilsons made any more $ than the other musicians on that song.  They should have received no songwriter royalties, so it should all come down to performance, and barring some sort of deal where those royalties are unequally distributed ("we get more than you or you don't play on the track"), it should be an equal split.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Heh.  I'm acquainted with the bassist for that era of Heart.  He's not proud.  The sisters aren't proud, either, although they liked the money.  They see themselves as songwriters and are pretty regretful that they went with corporate schlock-writers just to ride the hair band wave.

Mark Andes?

I will unabashedly admit that Alone and These Dreams are the two best Heart songs in my opinion by like a factor of a zillion. And I like the old stuff too.

From the old stuff, Magic Man, Barracuda and Straight On are the winners. I'm instantly transported to a 1970's conversion van with a custom airbrushed scene of dragons and wizards on the side in my mind.

I was actually never a big fan of Crazy on You. Not a bad song but not as good as the others.

Edit: And the van had some sick mag wheels too. This is key.

Edited by G650

dug up this video to reply to another thread and... man this has gotta be up there for the highest ratio of wailing guitars on video to wailing guitars on audio for a music video

That’s fantastic. Nancy Wilson can do whatever she wants, even air guitar in a video for a song with no guitars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've sold several guitars recently and was going to reinvest some of the proceeds and surprise you guys with this bass.

Sweetwater says they won't have any until May of 2023. My local Guitar Center shows one in stock, but Reverb's sales history says they are going for about double what they were 2 years ago. I dont know that I want to buy during a sellers market.

I also saw yesterday that the Marshall head I bought a few years ago now sell for more than double what I paid. It may be time to see what I have to unload. Seems like a good time to be selling. ebee6b9cd16585e20ef32087374c7154.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've sold several guitars recently and was going to reinvest some of the proceeds and surprise you guys with this bass.

Sweetwater says they won't have any until May of 2023. My local Guitar Center shows one in stock, but Reverb's sales history says they are going for about double what they were 2 years ago. I dont know that I want to buy during a sellers market.

I also saw yesterday that the Marshall head I bought a few years ago now sell for more than double what I paid. It may be time to see what I have to unload. Seems like a good time to be selling. ebee6b9cd16585e20ef32087374c7154.jpg

Are you wanting Walnut? Willcutt has 2 in stock.

https://willcuttguitars.com/collections/bass-guitars/products/rickenbacker-4003w-bass-walnut-773-99922-2225773

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes.  I got to record him once, and we crossed paths for a while.  I think he moved to Houston.

Spirit, Firefall and Kelly Willis.   Dude plays anything.  

Analog Mike and MXR get together.  Duke of Tone.  Looks like it will retail for $149

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/mxr-duke-of-tone-pedal-demo/

Straight On is an incredibly underrated song.  From the drum sound, thru Ann's jump into the song, to the harmonies.....and the driving bass.  I love the sound of that acoustic that is mixed in sporadically and that harmony solo......   LOVE that song.   and I LOVE the syncopated, funky feel of the ending outro.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Fender Labor Day Sale:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/labor-day-sale/

The best deals I see are the Classic Vibe 60s Strat for $275 and the CV 60s Jazz Base for $239.  Lots of guitars are marked down 100 or so.

50's Strat is $275. 60's is $344

I had the Classic Vibe 50's. Got it used at Guitar Center for $199. Regret selling it. It was really nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Straight On is an incredibly underrated song.  From the drum sound, thru Ann's jump into the song, to the harmonies.....and the driving bass.  I love the sound of that acoustic that is mixed in sporadically and that harmony solo......   LOVE that song.   and I LOVE the syncopated, funky feel of the ending outro.  

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thats the same price the local GC quoted me on the one they have. I might try to sneak down there today and check it out.

I think the walnut is the best looking offering, but in worried that there's not enough contrast between the fretmarkers and maple fingerboard. I want to play one before buying. It does have black side dots, so its probably fine.

One of the things I love about Crazy on You is that that acoustic from the intro never leaves. It carries everything all the way through. Some great bass lines too.

I'm glad we seem to have a concensus on Heart. VH1 did a great Behind the Music on them back in the day. Its probably out there somewhere.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just walked out of Guitar Center w my new amp head. 5150III EL34. They had a used one at a very fair price.They had my exact 1960a cab to try it through.. I can get great tones out of it at conversation levels and I can use all 3 channels. Ill keep my Marshall 1987x for when I can get super loud.

More to follow on the Rickenbass.

c3bd640be5c1d894bd4c0e127d34c127.jpg

c32f5a32cdfb921fff76e2f217285341.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

We do Straight On in our duo. It’s a bunch of fun to play. Also helps to have someone who can sing it.
  • Hook 'Em 1