The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

It's not that complicated. Now, a five-way super switch, on the other hand...
And I find that series position to all sorts of goodness when you want to thicken that tone a bit. 
The issue is, on mine anyway, the both series is all the way forward. So if I want to play the neck pickup only, which is glorious in a Tele if you have a decent pickup there, you have to carefully click 3 forward or go full forward then click one back. Inwant to just flip it forward and dig in.

Having the switch in the volume knob, you get the regular 3 way switch and the center position is series or parallel based on the vol knob switch. Just a cleaner design imo.

As the 5 hole pickguard purist, im kinda shocked that you're a 4 position switch proponent. I would think that would be heresy.

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

As the 5 hole pickguard purist, im kinda shocked that you're a 4 position switch proponent. I would think that would be heresy.

It does nothing to damage the perfect aesthetics of the Telecaster. Switch looks the same. Nobody is looking at the wiring under the control plate. I can see the button on top of the knob. I keep wanting to pull the S1 wiring out of my Baja, or just put regular knobs on it and ignore the feature. That button looks wrong. 

Edited by Deej

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

man I think even for people like us who can from 70 feet away definitively state not just the make and model of a guitar but the series and rough vintage, the button integrated in the volume knob is close to invisible.

I can see it. It's pretty close to me from where I stand. 

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

A 4 way switch on a Tele is ten times more sacrilegious than an 8 hole pickguard. It's not even close

Joel Mchale Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It does nothing to damage the perfect aesthetics of the Telecaster. Switch looks the same. Nobody is looking at the wiring under the control plate. I can see the button on top of the knob. I keep wanting to pull the S1 wiring out of my Baja, or just put regular knobs on it and ignore the feature. That button looks wrong. 
man I think even for people like us who can from 70 feet away definitively state not just the make and model of a guitar but the series and rough vintage, the button integrated in the volume knob is close to invisible.

If thats you're beef, I can tell from a mile away that a 4 way switch is never at a true 90* angle to the body when its in either of its 2 center positions. Just looks wrong to see it some where between straight up and all the way forward.

At least with a couple extra screws I can worry less about my sweat getting inside the electronics.

7 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

If thats you're beef, I can tell from a mile away that a 4 way switch is never at a true 90* angle to the body when its in either of its 2 center positions. Just looks wrong to see it some where between straight up and all the way forward.

At least with a couple extra screws I can worry less about my sweat getting inside the electronics.

The extra screws scream "Cheap one ply pickguard that buckles"

That was the reason for them. 

Edited by Deej

45 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I am kind of curious about the finish on the original guitar that this is emulating.  Was it a burst finish with white pickguard that was spray painted with gray primer & black and that all wore down over time to what we see?

Joe's Tele was a '66 sunburst that he bought in 1975 for 120 quid and had an auto body shop paint. They put down gray primer first and then the black paint. It started wearing off pretty quickly. Whoever did it obviously didn't know shit about guitars because he left the pickguard on when he painted the body.

JOE-STRUMMER-20011219-201x300.jpg

Edited by Deej

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

my eyes are on that 70s

I have a friend who has 2 70's LP's. I asked him if he would sell one, that I knew someone who is looking. 

"Does he want a light one or a heavy one?"

"What do yours weigh?"

"The light one is 12 pounds."

Hahaha...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Making me want one… but my eyes are on that 70s LP. I want a fucking road worn mess

That little 4 figure behind the tone knob really shows how much he used that thing. I know so many people who never even touch it. It's on his actual guitar. 

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Rhett did a big LP comparo, and he likes the Tribute over the Studio, but he really likes the Epiphone. They must be stepping up the quality.

I dig that satin finish on the Tribute too.

7,500 bucks for a new guitar? Lol get fucked Gibson.

Fender is equally absurd for these custom shop guitars, I see 5 figure price tags all the time.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Rhett did a big LP comparo, and he likes the Tribute over the Studio, but he really likes the Epiphone. They must be stepping up the quality.

I dig that satin finish on the Tribute too.

Kind of like the "faded" series.  I like it on my SG.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's your chance to get the paterfamilias:

https://www.christies.com/about-us/press-archive/details?PressReleaseID=10168&lid=1&fbclid=IwAR1LwN-W1QVHB4joW5DkDfr4E-f4ZR_XkGTl58jggx9Yx7CW9plkPjzipoA

Oh snap, that was last year. The listing says it's estimated at $150k - It sold for $980k. I wonder what Joe B. is doing with it now...

Edited by BoomMF
  • Drool 1

So I may have stumbled on to a gold mine of a resource here. I mentioned before that I had a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker that I've been planning on restoring for oh a couple decades now, and my father before me planning on it a couple more, so I finally got enough oomph to get off my ass and try and track down someone who could do the job properly.

I stopped by a place around the corner from my office a couple weeks ago, and asked the kid who runs the repair outfit in back of the shop to take a look. His eyes got as big as saucers when I told him what it was and basically was completely honest in admitting it was way over his head. He did turn me on to another guy though who he said would be the only one he knew of that could tackle that kind of project. So that was cool enough of him and I went my merry way. Googled the other guy, and turns out he worked for Gibson in Nashville doing repairs before setting up his shop. So my eyebrows raises, this is very promising.

Fast forward to today, since it's hurricane conditions practically, I'm not doing construction work, and I call the guy up to make sure they are in the shop, and indeed they are. So I brave the elements to head over, pass like 5 wrecks on the way, and locate the shop. I have my '77 LP with me as well as it's in dire need of a refret, I was just planning on having the usual place do it but I thought maybe I would see what he would do it and what time frame. When I get inside, this is a very cool place. Loads of vintage guitars, a '56 Fender bassman chassis is stripped and sitting on the front counter, digging the vibe for sure. Also a 1941 Harley inside. We get to shooting the shit and talking about the Melody Maker and what all to do to it. The headstock is pretty straightforward, going to add a veneer back, and reshape it. Discuss painting options, and I decided on cherry. I initially thought gloss but I didn't have a strong opinion and apparently gloss cost a lot more because of prep labor, I went satin. He pointed to a LP on the wall to show me a finished satin he did, and he remarks he made the pickups and some other hardware like the metal pickguard. I go "hold up, you wind your own pickups?" and he goes "You know how crazy variable PAF quality was?" and I'm like absolutely, this Melody Maker actually had a PAF with it that was terrible. Turns put this guy went back to Nashville and worked with his old boss there to analyze all the good sounding PAFs and came up with a consistent ideal winding for his own. I look down at my LP in the case and tell him I was gonna ask about a fret job but I actually am looking to replace the EMG and modern humbucker in this thing, can you hook me up? So the old LP is getting haircut and new pair of shoes. Replacing the pots with 550k ones and bumblebee caps.

So all this is pretty rad and I'm stoked. As I'm getting ready to head out I mention I like his machine tools as much as anything in there, has a huge mill and an old lathe. He's like well funny story about the mill... When he was in Nashville, his old boss was like you really need to take this old mill in the storage room, they are just gonna throw it away. So he goes in, and it's one of the original Kalamazoo mills that Gibson bought from the Navy in the '50s. Literally made the original run of Les Paul's, maybe made my Melody Maker and my Les Paul which is a Kalamazoo made one. Dude was like hell yeah, bought the repair team in Nashvill beer and pizza and they all moved it out to be loaded. 2000 fucking pounds lol.

This ended up being the best errand I've run in many moons.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Drove down to Austin for an upcoming work week and this long scale Les Paul was waiting for me at my brother’s.  Need more time with it, but my initial impression is that it’s a Fender in my left hand and a Les Paul in my ears, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

CBC21E99-10C6-4E99-BB91-578D4D74C2AE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I didn’t know that was a thing. I have a HH Strat to try to capture that very thing. 

Yeah, some limited number of custom shop “long scale Les Paul’s” were made in 2014.  Long scale is on the left.

C09A4DC9-B5E5-4A96-937E-1324112A68BC.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, Deej said:

I have a friend who has 2 70's LP's. I asked him if he would sell one, that I knew someone who is looking. 

"Does he want a light one or a heavy one?"

"What do yours weigh?"

"The light one is 12 pounds."

Hahaha...

Just for clarity. The 70’s built LP’s are Norlin’s. No one who collects LP’s really wants a Norlin. Some 1969’s have potential because they were still sourcing the original parts. 

It’s sort of like CBS Strat’s. No one really wants one. Sure, you would take it if given to you, but you shouldn’t spend collector money on it.

Asshole opinion from the artist formally known as Scooter Monzingo….

6 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Just for clarity. The 70’s built LP’s are Norlin’s. No one who collects LP’s really wants a Norlin. Some 1969’s have potential because they were still sourcing the original parts. 

It’s sort of like CBS Strat’s. No one really wants one. Sure, you would take it if given to you, but you shouldn’t spend collector money on it.

Asshole opinion from the artist formally known as Scooter Monzingo….

Two objectively false statements in one post, impressive.

• Hook 'Em 1