The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

14 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Just for clarity. The 70’s built LP’s are Norlin’s. No one who collects LP’s really wants a Norlin. Some 1969’s have potential because they were still sourcing the original parts. 

It’s sort of like CBS Strat’s. No one really wants one. Sure, you would take it if given to you, but you shouldn’t spend collector money on it.

Asshole opinion from the artist formally known as Scooter Monzingo….

Are You Sure Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

Just for clarity. The 70’s built LP’s are Norlin’s. No one who collects LP’s really wants a Norlin. Some 1969’s have potential because they were still sourcing the original parts. 

It’s sort of like CBS Strat’s. No one really wants one. Sure, you would take it if given to you, but you shouldn’t spend collector money on it.

What happened to Scooter?

6 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

No one “collects” Norlin’s. The only enduring quality they possess is that they are old.

If you don't think people collect '74 white Les Paul Customs or all sort of 70's Black Beauties then I don't know what to tell you.

And two things they do possess are sandwich bodies woth three piece necks and more consistent electronics than what came before.

35 minutes ago, G650 said:

If you don't think people collect '74 white Les Paul Customs or all sort of 70's Black Beauties then I don't know what to tell you.

And two things they do possess are sandwich bodies woth three piece necks and more consistent electronics than what came before.

Don’t take my word for it, just Google Norlin built LP. 

16 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Here's your chance to get the paterfamilias:

https://www.christies.com/about-us/press-archive/details?PressReleaseID=10168&lid=1&fbclid=IwAR1LwN-W1QVHB4joW5DkDfr4E-f4ZR_XkGTl58jggx9Yx7CW9plkPjzipoA

Oh snap, that was last year. The listing says it's estimated at $150k - It sold for $980k. I wonder what Joe B. is doing with it now...

Oh brother where art thou is where I’m trying to place this word from

4 hours ago, G650 said:

I honestly would want the opposite, a short scale Fender.

image.jpeg.a3b44c04ef94b7beee01e22eef38b563.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Don’t take my word for it, just Google Norlin built LP. 

Do you actually think I need to Google anything on Norlin Les Pauls man.

Its fine to prefer whatever era or state that the 50s ones or more valuable ( but why would you bother because literally everyone in here knows this already), just don't say something idiotic like no one collects Norlin Les Pauls or CBS Strats, that's all because it just make syou look silly. Especially when it is a complete non sequitur responding to someone who isn't even talking about collecting them and already knows what the fucking Norlin era was.

1 hour ago, 59 Burst said:

Collectors, i.e., cork sniffers.  Sure, to an extent.  But who cares about collectors?  My 1970 ES335 is a Norlin and is one of the most "even playing" guitars I've ever played.  The volute wasn't much to speak of that year, and the build quality is excellent.  So I don't care about what collectors want anymore than I cared about what people who dogged on silverface Fender amps back in the 90s thought.  I got a great sound out of them and bought up a bunch of them.  When my interests shifted to tweed amps and boutiques several years ago, I was able to sell some of my silverface Fenders for 3x--4x what I paid for them.  Collectors and cork sniffers don't really have any relevance to what I buy (have bought).  You hold it.  You play it.  You hear it.  And if you feel it and can afford it, you buy it.  And if you do that, you'll likely be able to sell it years later for a lot more than you paid for it.

The fact of the matter is, there are good guitars and bad guitars built during Gibson's Norlin era.  Even "collectors" know that.  There may even be more bad ones than good ones.  But there definitely are good ones. 

YMMV 

Edited by dcbc

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

Do you actually think I need to Google anything on Norlin Les Pauls man.

Its fine to prefer whatever era or state that the 50s ones or more valuable ( but why would you bother because literally everyone in here knows this already), just don't say something idiotic like no one collects Norlin Les Pauls or CBS Strats, that's all because it just make syou look silly. Especially when it is a complete non sequitur responding to someone who isn't even talking about collecting them and already knows what the fucking Norlin era was.

So you own a bunch of them do you?

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My 1970 ES335 is a Norlin and is one of the most "even playing" guitars I've ever played.

This is actually what  I came to realize on my '77. It's far and away the most playable of all my guitars. It's action and evenness annihilate my Custom Shop '57. It's right there with my American Standard Tele in that regard. I attribute a lot of that to the three piece neck, which I have become a huge fan of in my old age. At the end of the day it really depends on what you are trying to get out of the guitar as well. For heavy music the Norlins with some EMGs are much better than the 50s LPs. People tend to frame it with just regurgitating a bunch of group think without ever looking at what they are saying. If I'm going ZZ Top or Zepplin or something then I'd probably favor a good 50s LP, but that's an incredibly narrow range of style. Obviously you wouldn't even be looking at a Les Paul at all for myriad styles of music.

The other big unspoken elephant that no one likes to bring up is that half the 50's Les Pauls were abject dogshit. The peaks were higher, but the valleys lower. Norlin actually evened out the build quality a lot, and in the 90s a lot of the Gibsons were actually worse again before finally becoming fairly consistently good in the early 00's. If one wants to get a 50's Les Paul, you better play that thing before hand or you may be paying 250k for a dog.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw Bonnie Raitt last night. Lots of good guitar pron which I can’t share with you guys because she was a nazi about taking pics and video.

That said, holy shit can she play slide, which we all knew but just got damn. I had the thought last night that she is the Mike Campbell of slide - just perfectly placed tasteful licks with never a wasted note. She’s pretty much my favorite slide player.

And don’t even get me started on her band. Seriously tight.

/csb. Carry on….

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Saw Bonnie Raitt last night. Lots of good guitar pron which I can’t share with you guys because she was a nazi about taking pics and video.

That said, holy shit can she play slide, which we all knew but just got damn. I had the thought last night that she is the Mike Campbell of slide - just perfectly placed tasteful licks with never a wasted note. She’s pretty much my favorite slide player.

And don’t even get me started on her band. Seriously tight.

/csb. Carry on….

Bonnie Raitt is immensely talented, maybe the best slide player currently alive, and a raging bitch

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Never heard anyone make this comment before.

It's pretty well known. I mean I'm still a fan but she is apparently a total pain in the ass.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth would like a word with you.

I like Derek but I give the nod to Bonnie.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I saw Derek Trucks few weeks ago (pics are above). Obviously he is insanely good but I would much rather listen to Bonnie Raitt play.

Yeah, and Bonnie is a fantastic singer.  Of course, with Derek you typically get Susan Tedeschi, so great vocals, too, but I prefer Bonnie's catalog.

When I saw Derek Trucks/Tedeschi Trucks Band at Bass Concert Hall a 2-3 years ago, he was really good, but the bands mix was poor and he was pretty lifeless.  Just stood there like a robot playing perfect slide.  Those issues sucked the energy from the performance.  I appreciate his abilities and really like some of the southern slide/Indian raga gumbo he serves up on record, but I won’t be sad if that’s the only time I see Derek Truck’s live.

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

When I saw Derek Trucks/Tedeschi Trucks Band at Bass Concert Hall a 2-3 years ago, he was really good, but the bands mix was poor and he was pretty lifeless.  Just stood there like a robot playing perfect slide.  Those issues sucked the energy from the performance.  I appreciate his abilities and really like some of the southern slide/Indian raga gumbo he serves up on record, but I won’t be sad if that’s the only time I see Derek Truck’s live.

I saw them at ACL Live (Moody Theater), and he struck me in much the same way.  However, Susan was so utterly fantastic that she made up for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

That was similar to my experience seeing Tedesci/Trucks a few years ago. I thought he was a great slide player, but a little formulaic and I was fairly bored with it by the end of the set. The mix was not aweful, but uninspiring to say the least.

That said, a close friend saw the same show in the same room the following night and said he doubted my musical taste with that take. All I can think is either he was sitting in an area with better acoustics or they tweaked the mix the 2nd night.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw them at ACL Live (Moody Theater), and he struck me in much the same way.  However, Susan was so utterly fantastic that she made up for it.

Totally agree that Susan was a more enjoyable live performer than DT, at least on the night I caught them.

I really want to like Susan Tedeschi. I mean she’s a great singer no doubt but there’s just some sort of life missing from her voice to me. I know that’s a hell of a thing to say but I just don’t hear it with her.

Their band was all kinds of bad ass when I saw them a few weeks ago though. Kind of had a jam band feel, but every song had a great Midnight in Harlem style groove. Really well done.

Interesting.  I seriously think her vocal performance when I saw her was easily one of the best I've ever heard.  She blew the roof off the place.  

It didn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of slide guitar, so I was pretty much wanting to just hear her sing.  (Free tix.)

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was at… fairly sure it would have had to have been this show, but I thought i remembered Keb Mo being on the bill, and that’s a weird person for me to somehow insert into my memory of the show

FF13DC27-379C-40F8-B31C-AF71CDD41FBF.thumb.jpeg.b2b53dbdf1c209f5f989e091e843877f.jpeg

No idea if Tedeschi had Trucks at that point, but I remember loving Guy.

There definitely was a show where she was on the bill with Keb Mo back then.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2022 at 1:56 PM, Superhero said:

I should neg you for posting that picture.

I think the finish is just fugly, but I’m more curious why the neck plate, bridge and control plate. 

On 9/29/2022 at 3:25 PM, Deej said:

Curious about what?

Oops, lost of train of thought on that post. Wondering why the bridge and control plate look new and unblemished.

14 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Oops, lost of train of thought on that post. Wondering why the bridge and control plate look new and unblemished.

They had a lot of complaints on the version from 15 years ago because they were so reliced that you could barely adjust the saddles because the screws were rusted so badly. I think they may have been trying to avoid that. I've got some aged knobs and a control plate incoming. I'm gonna leave the bridge alone because it plays so well.