The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

What model is that?  Looks like a... CU24 but I think maybe it's an option to have a pickup selecter knob rather than a toggle? It's interesting. The three knobs is a little weird but I think I could get used to it. I do like the color, the metal covers, very classic Gibson aesthetics. That said, I do feel like for me, that would be a beautiful McCarty and with a CU24 I'd lean in to the whole PRS thing (grey or blue or purple or tiger with all the flame etc). But also, it is a really nice looking color and vibe.

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I like it. It’s a PRS?

Yup 

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

What model is that?  Looks like a... CU24 but I think maybe it's an option to have a pickup selecter knob rather than a toggle? It's interesting. The three knobs is a little weird but I think I could get used to it. I do like the color, the metal covers, very classic Gibson aesthetics. That said, I do feel like for me, that would be a beautiful McCarty and with a CU24 I'd lean in to the whole PRS thing (grey or blue or purple or tiger with all the flame etc). But also, it is a really nice looking color and vibe.

Custom 24 this one. The 3 knobs is what I have and love. Want to have it set up to drop into A. It’s go dings on it so I think I can grab it for 1550-1600 I’m hoping. I have to put the old pickups back in that are included this has Lollar Imperials in them which are great for classic rock type stuff. I want the more modern sound the original pickups offer.

I think we need to have a serious talk with bogey that we are all of an age now where none of the shit we play is modern anymore

So after ACL last weekend I was feeling inspired and went and learned a bunch of modern tunes. I found particularly interesting the songs of Japanese Breakfast. While she gets stuck in the dream pop/shoe gaze category, if you watch some of her unplugged type stuff on you tube it’s clear she’s writing well crafted pop tunes and putting great production in the mix. The tiny desk concert version of “Boyish” is a great example when compared with the released version. I really need to figure out how what gadgets they’re using to get that big sound live.

Anyhow, you don’t have to just get old and play old musics. Plus she has a pretty cool ri Jazzmaster as her main squeeze.

19a27aa6a8e92031f93fe8f5cfeb4979.jpg
A nylon signature guitar? This a wild world we live in.

It’s been done.
- Chet Atkins
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Anyhow, you don’t have to just get old and play old musics.

I'm actually virulently against playing old music personally.  I don't even like to play old songs that I wrote other than as a rare one off for the most part. I realize most people aren't that way though and I totally get it.

Probably why I'll never forgive Guns N Roses for the Lame Old Motherfucker Money Grab Nostalgia TourTM

ETA: Just in case it wasn't obvious, the joke was referencing "modern like the Deftones" when the Deftones are clearly not remotely modern anymore.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

I'm actually virulently against playing old music personally.  I don't even like to play old songs that I wrote other than as a rare one off for the most part. I realize most people aren't that way though and I totally get it.
Probably why I'll never forgive Guns N Roses for the Lame Old Motherfucker Money Grab Nostalgia TourTM

No worries G man. I know you were being glib in the spirit of the thread. I was just sharing morning coffee thoughts.

I play old and new. I can get in a rut of what’s easy and familiar. Especially because that’s what my band gets paid to do. Bottom line I found various bands reminding me to go learn some new shit as a major personal takeaway from ACL this year.

As for GnR, I was lucky enough to see them on that money grubbing tour (at ACL again) and enjoyed it. Glad I saw them. Probably wouldn’t even have bothered if they weren’t headlining that one though.

Im

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Bottom line I found various bands reminding me to go learn some new shit as a major personal takeaway from ACL this year.

Hell yeah. It's always a good thing. As much as I compulsively hate recycling shit I easily fall in that loop too. And I just end up feeling dissatisfied. So when something new catches your interest it's always positive.

I'm not sure I can classify anything I've been grooving on lately as modern really, but it's been a change of pace at least. I have been listening to a lot of Willie Nile and Jason Isbell and more of a varied instrumentation than the old Les Paul and Marshall which was my mainstay since high school. More into Fender amps and adding keys to the arrangements than I used too. I've always had that stuff laying around but it was more peripheral. Today's zeitgeist just seems to call for it more than the classic rock sound I feel. Just a little voice in the back of my head I guess

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Another one of my favorites that is even better live is Kurt Vile. Lots of jag and JM usage. His vocal style is different, but I dig it. Kind of some J Mascis/Neil Young going on there.

This is more of a rehearsal, but the production on it is great.

Yeah Kurt Vile is legit

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 12:08 PM, G650 said:

So the first show I went to and got a T Shirt was Blind Melon/Meat Puppets/Alice Donut( yeah I have very little recollection of them) when I was in high school. I still have that shirt. Blind Melon was probably my favorite band in the world at that point. I still rate them highly as well. I will go to my grave with the opinion Glen Graham and Brad Smith were the most underrated rhythm section in history. They are literally the only two I have ever heard who can pull off the Entwhistle/Moon style of bascially going ham the whole time and still be dead on. Give the first Melon album a listen sometime and it's pretty amazing. Chris Thorne and Rogers Stevens also are fantastic and were way out in front at the time on vintage gear and sounds.

So speaking of not modern shit, I pulled out the old Melon tee. As a bonus, here's the tee from our band back in high school lol.

20221015-152936.jpg

20221015-152944.jpg

20221015-152902.jpg

If anyone is into psychedelic artwork, Glen Graham, who is Blind Melons drummer, did their shirts and has a bunch of stuff he sells. His IG is worth a follow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

"What the fuck happened to my Black Magick? Why does it sound like it has a blanket over it?"

Fiddles with amp, before realizing the guitar tone knob is turned all the way down. 

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

Man this hits close to home. I think it was either last week or week before and I'm losing my shit about how weak my Jubilee is sounding. I'm sure its got a tube going or something....

I honestly can't say how long the tone knob was turned all the way down on my Goldtop before I realized it lol. Could have been a half hour easily.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Kurt Vile is one of those dudes who Spotify kept sliding into my DMs/playlists until I had no choice but to become a fan. Rainy Day, whatever that... factory loading dock of your mind or whatever song. And of course this one right here

They played Pretty Pimpin on the Spectrum on Sirius quite a bit

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Green is my favorite color, but I almost never like a green finish on guitars.  Probably because it’s most often a radioactive neon sludge green.  Surf green is a very notable exception.

I've seen some green PRS guitars that I liked. If somebody forced this one on me I'd probably take it off their hands.

ngxqluym6gmwnq9hhcww.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1