The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

According to this he doesn’t play Tele’s much anymore. More of a Les Paul guy.

https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/gearing-up-with-billy-squier-2651080498

He has been doing that that live for years same reason I did, versatility. I recorded with all sorts of different setups but mainly played Les Paul into Marshall live. Minimizes changes and has very middle of road sound.

Hes actually mentioned many times his 57 Strat is his number one guitar. The 69 Tele custom is up there too though. You plug a Tele into a Marshall and its instant Lonely is the Night.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Negative on Tele binding.

Same.  I feel about it like Deej feels about more than 5 pickguard screws or you feel about PRS.  I don't care if Keith Richards and Jimmy Page went family style on the thing, I will look at a bound telecaster the same as I would an ill-tempered, mangy, feral cat with feline AIDS that just rolled in pig shit and coughed up a hairball on the rug.

They should come with a free bowl of soup.

it-looks-good-on-you-though-caddyshack.g

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I went to Guitar Center Hollywood yesterday and was pretty disappointed to find that what used to be an incredible vintage room in the back is now just a run of the mill high end and used room. When I was there a decade ago they had Les Paul's, Tele's, etc lined up and grouped by year, '53, '54, '55,etc. 

GC1.thumb.jpg.6c4835037bce4b81981be4e62780c06f.jpg

GC6.thumb.jpg.39af6f636b6a7a155030ab77c65a54e3.jpg

This one caught my eye. Kauer, he said they are a boutique builder in Sacramento. Kind of Firebird meets Grestch with the Filtertrons and orange finish. 

GC7.thumb.jpg.82c556873319ff252f2b0641ba532221.jpg

A sparkly bound Telecaster

GC8.thumb.jpg.7c12519fcfd0ac29b2771fcbd6c9d726.jpg

The original Frankenstrat. Not a replica. This is the 1st one EVH built when he was teenager, even waxed his own pickups. This was used on the early VH records. According the plaque, he first just painted it White with the black stripes, and later taped off more and painted it red, so it wound up Red with white and black stripes. 

GC2.thumb.jpg.8a09bc5193e2fc8470c2273bc437c287.jpg

This is a later Frankenstrat built for Eddie by somebody using Kramer parts. it was used to record the 5150 album.

GC5.thumb.jpg.d0b8a35d65a5a6d69389fe0ffcf709b4.jpg

'51 Les Paul signed by the man himself, and an early '70's Les Paul previously owned by The Edge and used on some early U2 records.

GC4.thumb.jpg.b24d48fb5e662da71f9fa4724e085354.jpg

and finally, Blackie. I saw it once before when GC 1st bought it and displayed it at NAMM. If I recall, it was the most a guitar ever went for at auction, nearly a million bucks they paid for it. 

GC3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Outside this GC, there is a mini-music hall of fame where a lot of bands and industry folks have handprints. Some of them got more creative than others, these are the stand outs for me. 

This is the one i remember from my previous visit. Of course the Reverend stuck a slide on his middle finger before the cement dried. 
GC11.thumb.jpg.edc4a62dc447e449b801638e46a3cb33.jpg

And of course Lemmy flipped us off.
GC10.thumb.jpg.6a3025722db22787ae3d0f7808d142c2.jpg

Nice touch by Iron Maiden to include Eddie, he probably sold more records for them than the music did - and I say that as a huge iron Maiden fan.
GC12.thumb.jpg.d57b47f9cbe04b954a59555ebedba280.jpg

Oh, Joey Ramone!
GC9.thumb.jpg.f396e423b30ac2a068b16122202bc65f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I went to Guitar Center Hollywood yesterday and was pretty disappointed to find that what used to be an incredible vintage room in the back is now just a run of the mill high end and used room. When I was there a decade ago they had Les Paul's, Tele's, etc lined up and grouped by year, '53, '54, '55,etc. 

GC1.thumb.jpg.6c4835037bce4b81981be4e62780c06f.jpg

GC6.thumb.jpg.39af6f636b6a7a155030ab77c65a54e3.jpg

This one caught my eye. Kauer, he said they are a boutique builder in Sacramento. Kind of Firebird meets Grestch with the Filtertrons and orange finish. 

GC7.thumb.jpg.82c556873319ff252f2b0641ba532221.jpg

A sparkly bound Telecaster

GC8.thumb.jpg.7c12519fcfd0ac29b2771fcbd6c9d726.jpg

The original Frankenstrat. Not a replica. This is the 1st one EVH built when he was teenager, even waxed his own pickups. This was used on the early VH records. According the plaque, he first just painted it White with the black stripes, and later taped off more and painted it red, so it wound up Red with white and black stripes. 

GC2.thumb.jpg.8a09bc5193e2fc8470c2273bc437c287.jpg

This is a later Frankenstrat built for Eddie by somebody using Kramer parts. it was used to record the 5150 album.

GC5.thumb.jpg.d0b8a35d65a5a6d69389fe0ffcf709b4.jpg

'51 Les Paul signed by the man himself, and an early '70's Les Paul previously owned by The Edge and used on some early U2 records.

GC4.thumb.jpg.b24d48fb5e662da71f9fa4724e085354.jpg

and finally, Blackie. I saw it once before when GC 1st bought it and displayed it at NAMM. If I recall, it was the most a guitar ever went for at auction, nearly a million bucks they paid for it. 

GC3.jpg

Super awesome man, brings back memories. I haven't been in there since I lived there in the early aughts.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why did Clapton ever sell Blackie in the first place?  I hope some of that money went to charity, he certainly doesn't need any dough.

I think it was for charity. Like Gilmours black one.

I love when people trash CBS Strats and you can whip out the most expensive guitar ever sold was a CBS Strat.

• Hook 'Em 1

The sunset GC is always a great visit.

The original Frankenstrat huh? Holy shit that’s a valuable guitar.

Bumblebee was supposedly buried with Dimebag. I always wonder if that’s true and if so when someone tries to dig it up.
I've read that as a true story, it was the 2nd one. Eddie's words were something like, "an original for an original!"

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Which CBS Strat?

Gilmour's black one. And the predictable dodge is always "well yeah because it's Gilmour's", which leads to the second half of the fun because you then get to point out that Comfortably Numb's solo is basically the most agreed upon tone nirvana out so those guitars must be somewhat alright.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Next thing you are gonna tell me that's why my version doesn't sound the same

I know you know this . . . and I've told the story before . . . but seeing David Grissom walk into Antone's, pick up a shitty house Fender Esquire, plug it into a shitty backline Fender Princeton or some such, and sound EXACTLY like he sounds with a PRS through a Marshall was life-changing.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

But they don't sell Gilmour's hands at Sweetwater, sooooooo...

You want Gilmour's hands? I can get you Gilmour's hands, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.  I'll get you Gilmour's hands by this afternoon--with nail polish. These fucking amateurs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4