The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I fly with mine from time to time. Just be sure you get on early and put it in the overhead. Never had an issue.
This.

If you fly an ameican airline they legally have to let you bring it aboard of there is space for at the tine you board (Thanks Obama!) Get a ticket in an early boarding group and there will be space.

I dont know of that rule Aries to foreign airlines, and why would you fly an american airline internatiinal?

I kinda felt like a dick leaving Vegas cause I had my bass in its big ass original case that took up a whole overhead bin on a full flight, but ive seen too many videos of damaged instruments coming off the belt.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/01/05/2014-30836/carriage-of-musical-instruments#:~:text=This%20rule%20requires%20that%20carriers,accordance%20with%20FAA%20safety%20regulations.

I have a dumb question: that 50s CV Strat has the tremolo completely decked. It does not move at all, and I’ve pushed down pretty hard on it. Is that only adjustable via the springs, or do the six screws in front of the saddles do something? I like my trems floating a little.

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I have a dumb question: that 50s CV Strat has the tremolo completely decked. It does not move at all, and I’ve pushed down pretty hard on it. Is that only adjustable via the springs, or do the six screws in front of the saddles do something? I like my trems floating a little.

It can be both. If the screws are tightened all the way down it will hole the trem down with the springs. How was the trem decked, was the claw tightened all the way?

if you can't move it at all I bet AUTF is right and there's an actual block in there.

Here's a picture from 11 years ago that I took for an earlier version of this thread, probably talking about the slimmer bridge piece for my ~2001 mim strat vs my sunburst 98 American Standard. But also if you examine closely you can see that the piece attached to the body with two screws that the springs attach to opposite of the tremolo - it's closer to the body on the sunburst than it is on the black strat. My guitar teacher adjusted that with a screwdriver to anchor my trem when I was teenager, that's another way you can adjust it. I've always meant to get two more springs so I can be cool like SRV, but never have.

image.thumb.png.7fe11ae0588810628eed1feb10166382.png

also I’ve been playing this without a back cover for at least 11 years and no problems yet

E9F86B19-F6DA-40B5-9794-7E61D2D6C161.thumb.jpeg.19d572f5e5a30c6653b44d1793f90684.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good thought but it’s not blocked. I blocked the Floyd Rose on that old Yamaha baritone I used to have to so I’m familiar with that process. And I pulled the cover off of the back (I’m not a fan of those anyway) and there’s no block.

The springs don’t look to be tightened all the way so I’ll take a look at the screws in front of the saddles.

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

But also if you examine closely you can see that the piece attached to the body with two screws that the springs attach to opposite of the tremolo - it's closer to the body on the sunburst than it is on the black strat.

That's the claw I was referencing. I typically deck mine by tightening the claw and then tightening the pivot screws on top. On my plus I also locked the Hipshot down at the decked height.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

if you can't move it at all I bet AUTF is right and there's an actual block in there.
Here's a picture from 11 years ago that I took for an earlier version of this thread, probably talking about the slimmer bridge piece for my ~2001 mim strat vs my sunburst 98 American Standard. But also if you examine closely you can see that the piece attached to the body with two screws that the springs attach to opposite of the tremolo - it's closer to the body on the sunburst than it is on the black strat. My guitar teacher adjusted that with a screwdriver to anchor my trem when I was teenager, that's another way you can adjust it. I've always meant to get two more springs so I can be cool like SRV, but never have.
image.thumb.png.7fe11ae0588810628eed1feb10166382.png
also I’ve been playing this without a back cover for at least 11 years and no problems yet
E9F86B19-F6DA-40B5-9794-7E61D2D6C161.thumb.jpeg.19d572f5e5a30c6653b44d1793f90684.jpeg

Heh. No need to flip us off, dude.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s a fine looking machine

First and last guitar I have bought new, back in 1995. I remember walking through the local music store and stopping in my tracks when I saw it, said damn I need that guitar. Sold my SG for it.

I recently learned Glen Campbell had a Blue Pearl Dust Strat too, but with a maple fretboard.

636378807908252310-shr-568odbdm9kketoeq7

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and Lace Sensors.

Yep. His had double in the bridge though where mine was just a single gold.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

wait, is there a bit of sunburst going on with that finish or is that just the nature of how light interacts with that color?

Yeah Blue Pearl Dust. It's a metallic blue on the outside with dark blue inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

Damon Johnson's "Green Manalishi" Les Paul, from his facebook post. 

312298598_683377963359818_60691167451559

Nice. I actually saw a gear video with him not too long ago and that guitar was one of the things he had out. I have the same guitar but in regular old Goldtop.

Brother Cane is still one of the best bands I've caught live.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, locodos said:

That's sexy.  I would buy a guitar like that.   Is that under a UV light?  Or is that glow from Nitro finish under uv or is that a stock color?

Damon had a friend at Gibson and he arranged for the custom green color. I think it might have actually be a refinishing when the guitar was in for a repair but don't quote me on that.

6 hours ago, G650 said:

Damon had a friend at Gibson and he arranged for the custom green color. I think it might have actually be a refinishing when the guitar was in for a repair but don't quote me on that.

I googled it and was thinking if they have a tribute I'm buying it.   Then I saw that it was a '59 Honeyburst and none of the pics looked remotely like the one posted.  Hence the question.   If it was re-finished green, that makes a lot more sense. 

For my old man yells at cloud moment for today, one thing I can say is kids these days have no idea how good they have it. Entry level guitars when I was a kid were such abject shit, they were close to unplayable. The gap between nice and entry has shrunk so much now it blows my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

For my old man yells at cloud moment for today, one thing I can say is kids these days have no idea how good they have it. Entry level guitars when I was a kid were such abject shit, they were close to unplayable. The gap between nice and entry has shrunk so much now it blows my mind.

Guitar 3 and amp 5 for me at 9 years old says hi

64131aa3f968983eaaa38ce0d6d8d29f.png