The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I like the glossy fretboard on my Tele, but that may be due to the frets being so smooth that my mind is confusing the smooth glide over the frets with the smoothness coming from the glossy fretboard. 

The frets just seem better than the ones of my budget guitar buys and the Fender strings s em to be better than the other strings I’ve put on other guitars (D’Addario Nickel Wound XL120 9/42).

In general, really happy with the purchase.

In my case it's probably more psychological than anything. Maybe I just think it's sticky. I need something to blame for my ineptitude as a wannabe player. The only thing I do half-ass decent on guitar is bendy type stuff where I can fake my way through some sloppy playing. 

15 hours ago, G650 said:

Now gloss maple necks on the back are really shitty. My old MIM Strat had a shiny neck, I took a belt sander to it.

Picturing your neck going from classic C to classic stop sign shape neck.     I'm planning on sanding down the neck on my CV eventually.  I haven't played enough to know what I prefer yet.  But switching back from my son's strat the neck does feel sticky on the CV.  But it looks so damned good and the guitar is pristine, I just can't bring my self to start sanding finish off. Yet

If I keep with it, I'll probably sell the CV and upgrade

4 minutes ago, locodos said:

Picturing your neck going from classic C to classic stop sign shape neck.     I'm planning on sanding down the neck on my CV eventually.  I haven't played enough to know what I prefer yet.  But switching back from my son's strat the neck does feel sticky on the CV.  But it looks so damned good and the guitar is pristine, I just can't bring my self to start sanding finish off. Yet

It actually started off as a soft V, so I had plenty of material to work with!

2 hours ago, locodos said:

Again, a Scotch pad will knock that gloss on the back of the neck down nicely, and gently enough that you won’t overdo it. I used it on all my Classic Vibes.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, locodos said:

But it looks so damned good and the guitar is pristine, I just can't bring my self to start sanding finish off. Yet

On 11/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, Deej said:

Again, a Scotch pad will knock that gloss on the back of the neck down nicely, and gently enough that you won’t overdo it. I used it on all my Classic Vibes.

This.  Lookswise, things don't change much.  You're just getting some of the sticky off.  I just held the green scotch brite in my hand and stroked the shaft, er uh neck, until it felt right (new Surly motto?).  I hit it with a little Formula 65 every now and again. 

• Haha 2

Just saw this deal on a cheap acoustical at musiciansfriend's stupid deal of the day. I'm gonna think about this one, almost too cheap to pass up. I've been wanting a newer cheap acoustic. But I don't think this one actually has a 1 3/4 nut width despite the given specs. They've been wrong before. That's something I wanted to try. Probably a good patio guitar.

$159

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-regent-series-grand-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar/l76381000001000

L76381000001000-00-500x500.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

So as mentioned in earlier pick discussions, I've played a purple Tortex pick for decades at this point. Going through an old bag though, I realized...

lyd5md4v3q351.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

The Fender confetti pick that was only made in the early to mid 90s that had pink instead of red.

20221114-145533.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

So as mentioned in earlier pick discussions, I've played a purple Tortex pick for decades at this point. Going through an old bag though, I realized...

The Fender confetti pick that was only made in the early to mid 90s that had pink instead of red.

20221114-145533.jpg

I've got some confetti picks somewhere.  Probably the red though.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

20221114-145533.jpg

That pick reminds me of one of my favorite 80s albums.

600x600.jpg

Those "confetti" picks, as you call them, remind me of a girl. I had a thing for this chick back in the day, sort of a platonic friend I was trying to make into something more. On Valentines Day I made her a rose with a bunch of those pink Fender confetti picks taped together, and attached a little poem I wrote stating my feelings of affection, though expecting not the same in return. She seemed to like it, but it went as expected...nothing. 

A week or so later I was at her place just to hang out as friends. I think she had some dude over in between...likely a guitar player. I found my rose creation all busted up, like somebody had rolled over on top of it. I asked her what happened to it. She just got a pained expression on her face and said, "you don't want to know." My imagination took care of the rest. "I liked your poem, though."

Oh well... In retrospect, she would have probably ruined me. 

Later on I fixed her up with a mutual friend that I knew had a mutual thing for each other.  Neither had any idea, so I figured I might as well nudge them on, since they were both friends and I wished them well. Didn't hear from either for months, not even a thank you. Eventually, he broke her heart and married someone else not long after he dumped her. I was never quite sure how I should feel about that, but they had gone their way without me, so whatever...

• Like 1

Elliott Easton posted this to his Facebook page today.  Beautiful guitar, interesting back story:

I had Gibson Custom build me a 'concept guitar' a while back, and it came out so amazingly well that it's become my main Les Paul. My concept was meant to answer this question: "If the single cutaway LP Standard wasn't discontinued in 1960, what might a 1964 Les Paul Standard look like?" Sooo, I went to the original Firebird 'color wheel' chart, and went with Pelham Blue. Black plastic parts, rather than creme, with a multi-ply black pickguard, nylon saddles and black reflector knobs. Double stingers on the back and my trademark little Tiki guy at the headstock. It's also chambered and has a 1962 neck profile. It's one of my favorites.#gibsoncustom

image.thumb.png.9e3765b69208ac0bfc95ddb898e77301.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Elliott Easton posted this to his Facebook page today.  Beautiful guitar, interesting back story:

I had Gibson Custom build me a 'concept guitar' a while back, and it came out so amazingly well that it's become my main Les Paul. My concept was meant to answer this question: "If the single cutaway LP Standard wasn't discontinued in 1960, what might a 1964 Les Paul Standard look like?" Sooo, I went to the original Firebird 'color wheel' chart, and went with Pelham Blue. Black plastic parts, rather than creme, with a multi-ply black pickguard, nylon saddles and black reflector knobs. Double stingers on the back and my trademark little Tiki guy at the headstock. It's also chambered and has a 1962 neck profile. It's one of my favorites.#gibsoncustom

That is a beauty.  Pelham Blue is currently my favorite Gibson color.  I think Elliot Easton's signature SG is that same color.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

That thing is gorgeous

I loosened the screws holding the bridge down and nothing happened, so I loosened the springs and now I can push the trem bar down but it takes some grunt. It's still decked when I release it. I guess those springs are just really tight. I'll have to fiddle with it to get it to float.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Once again I can't believe how long it took me to get a SSS Strat. I feel it so much. Next guitar is definitely going to be a nicer Strat, just because I don't like fighting with the hardware and I bet there are pickups out there that would knock me out.

We all get there in the end.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Sounds like you need a Silver Sky. 

Half Baked Boo GIF

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Don’t feel bad. No one has ever escaped the friend zone.

Not true, but it doesn’t happen on your terms.

Just need to be less available, date some other girls, consult her on what nice things you should do for the other girl(s), and then be semi-available when she is dumped and/or hitting a milestone birthday.

Desperation & Self-pity will likely open the escape door from that Friend Zone, especially if alcohol is involved and perhaps “being excellent in her presence”*.

You too can escape the friend zone, but likely not forever.

*”The Tao of Steve”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I had to back the screws way out but it floats now. I’m still not entirely sure how the six screws that hold the bridge on should be set. 

Kinda sounds like you figured that out. As long as they aren't out so far that they might slip out you should be good. Probably not all springs are equal, so maybe they could have been extra strong springs.

I try to hit up a Hard Rock Cafe whenever I travel (sometimes I just want predictable food), but the one here in Cabo is sparse as fuck. Nonsense like Nikki Minaj's shoes and like 4 things from Third Eye Blind. Buuuuut, they had this bad boy. I even saw them on that tour, maybe I saw this exact guitar and forgot about it because of its bland ass, way too OG for me top, who knows. I do know that I never even thought about fucking up the pickguard like that as a relic'ing technic, so I go to bed a better person tonight.

20221113_133859.thumb.jpg.e361ad79ce8d2826f88e97a7448f21ab.jpg

• Like 1

I try to hit up a Hard Rock Cafe whenever I travel (sometimes I just want predictable food), but the one here in Cabo is sparse as fuck. Nonsense like Nikki Minaj's shoes and like 4 things from Third Eye Blind. Buuuuut, they had this bad boy. I even saw them on that tour, maybe I saw this exact guitar and forgot about it because of its bland ass, way too OG for me top, who knows. I do know that I never even thought about fucking up the pickguard like that as a relic'ing technic, so I go to bed a better person tonight.
20221113_133859.thumb.jpg.e361ad79ce8d2826f88e97a7448f21ab.jpg

Dot inlays. Unusual.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1