The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So is it weird I’m about to buy the same PRS I already own in the same color just with upgraded new PRS pickups? 2002 custom 24 10 top emerald green…. It’s my go to guitar and this one would be dropped to C tuning. Also the seller on reverb in the description said it was set to C… it’s a sign… 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

So is it weird I’m about to buy the same PRS I already own in the same color just with upgraded new PRS pickups? 2002 custom 24 10 top emerald green…. It’s my go to guitar and this one would be dropped to C tuning. Also the seller on reverb in the description said it was set to C… it’s a sign… 

71qcro.jpg

I know I keep going on about it, but this little cheapo Squier is teaching me as much about what I don't want in the next one as much as what I do. This week's episode: frets. I know @tbone_ has long-espoused jumbo frets and I think I'm on board with that thinking now. The frets on this thing are just tiny and much too easy for my clumsy fingers to slide past. I need speed bumps on the fretboard.

In other Strat related news, I found this video mesmerizing. Just a hobbyist in Norway building epic Strat copies between shifts as a pilot.

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually don't mind 7.25" radius boards. The thing about the frets is you hardly get any life out of vintage ones. A lot of people find they play certain parts of the neck more than others and wear frets more in that area, and end up having to raise the action to keep from buzzing. They can only be leveled so many times.

I know I keep going on about it, but this little cheapo Squier is teaching me as much about what I don't want in the next one as much as what I do. This week's episode: frets. I know [mention=2521]tbone_[/mention] has long-espoused jumbo frets and I think I'm on board with that thinking now. The frets on this thing are just tiny and much too easy for my clumsy fingers to slide past. I need speed bumps on the fretboard.
In other Strat related news, I found this video mesmerizing. Just a hobbyist in Norway building epic Strat copies between shifts as a pilot.

Try them and see what you think. To me it feels like there’s just way more to grab on to. And as a result you can drive them harder get more out of them if that makes sense.

Think Sofia Vergara Vs Kate Moss. I mean you aren’t going to go wrong either way. But I know what I prefer.
  • Like 1

I like narrow, tall. I used to think I liked those big, beefy jumbo's and even had them installed when I restored my '59 Gretsch. When I bought my G6120-1959 I found it came with smaller frets and was more playable, especially for chords. Those big beefy ones can sometimes be so high that you bend notes sharp just by pressing a little too hard. Ive come to settle on the 6105 as the perfect size wire for me and thats what I've had installed on any Warmoth necks I've ordered. Still plenty of meat there, just a little easier to work with.576559e94c3e34da8e5ff8eeb2c75b35.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I like narrow, tall. I used to think I liked those big, beefy jumbo's and even had them installed when I restored my '59 Gretsch. When I bought my G6120-1959 I found it came with smaller frets and was more playable, especially for chords. Those big beefy ones can sometimes be so high that you bend notes sharp just by pressing a little too hard. Ive come to settle on the 6105 as the perfect size wire for me and thats what I've had installed on any Warmoth necks I've ordered. Still plenty of meat there, just a little easier to work with.576559e94c3e34da8e5ff8eeb2c75b35.jpg

So more of a Kate Beckinsale situation?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Strummer Tele has that thinner 60's neck and the vintage frets and it is so easy to play. I like the thick necks and bigger frets usually, but this one has sold me. For just playing chords, it requires such a light touch. The chords just seem to be more in tune when I'm playing. Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

The Strummer Tele has that thinner 60's neck and the vintage frets and it is so easy to play. I like the thick necks and bigger frets usually, but this one has sold me. For just playing chords, it requires such a light touch. The chords just seem to be more in tune when I'm playing. Just my opinion. 

Yeah because you can't deflect the string as much with too much pressure

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What constitutes a "vintage" fret geometry?

Teeny tiny ass wire

On 11/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, Bogeywon said:

I ducking offered this guy everything he wanted then he tells me he’s having sellers remorse.. so he’s gonna decide in a week or two… like wtf man