The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 11/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, AnotherUTFan said:
On 11/22/2022 at 6:51 PM, jimmyjazz said:
So what we have here is the rare surly consensus:  everyone is in favor of "teeny tiny ass wire" or "huge jumbo ass wire".
Excellent.

Or "somewhere in the middle ass wire".

Obviously the answer is to get a guitar or two with every iteration of frets so that you can keep have multiple tuning on hand. It’s the only way to be sure. 

I should tune my guitars from favorite to least-favorite with different tunings, favorite to least favorite. Hmm. Not sure what would take the top spot: standard tuning or de-tuned a half step. 

psa the Adorama Player series deal is now $499.   I broke down and bought the Tele.  Click through the link and it's $499

https://slickdeals.net/f/16166665-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h?src=fa-b63fcaf268924e99a85b3cfb8993bda9

Happy Thanksgiving

Spoiler

The Pinedale Shopping mall has just been bombed with live turkeys!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Along the lines of black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, Fender is offering 30% off any two select accessories and parts.  This includes all their pickups, cases, necks, bodies, loaded & wired pickguards, etc... Some nice stuff relatively cheap if you are looking to upgrade some components or build a partscaster.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessories-parts-bundle-deal/

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

de-tuned a half step

This is the way

49 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Along the lines of black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, Fender is offering 30% off any two select accessories and parts.  This includes all their pickups, cases, necks, bodies, loaded & wired pickguards, etc... Some nice stuff relatively cheap if you are looking to upgrade some components or build a partscaster.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessories-parts-bundle-deal/

Yeah i got that loaded pickguardi put in my Strat Plus on this deal awhile back.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, DougO said:

Tempting price at Adorama for the Lake Placid blue Strat or Tele, $549, a hundred lower than they usually put it on sale for. Go through the Slickdeals link.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16166665-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h?src=fa-b63fcaf268924e99a85b3cfb8993bda9

I'm not sure if that deal is active from the link or not, probably is.

If you go to the website and check out their "black friday deals" the LP Tele and Strat are 649. 

But I was just shopping around at Adorama. I clicked on the CEO Picks 2022 banner at the top and started scrolling through the items. The same LP Tele is listed there now at $499!

These sumbitches are really trying to hook me. If it weren't Lake Placid blue I probably wouldn't give a shit, but I sort of have a sentimental attachment. I once had a Mexico Tele I bought from a friend, had bastardized pickups and a wood screw in the front horn to replace the spun out strap button that used to be there. But I really dug the look and feel of it. My buddy asked to buy it back at a small profit, and he needed it for a country gig, he was a damn good player who would actually play the shit out of it, so I let it go. Didn't really want to sell it, but I was glad to get it back to him. He ended up pawning it later on, wish he had sold it back to me first. I've kinda wanted a Tele that color ever since, but with regular pickups. 

Edited by DougO

15 hours ago, locodos said:

psa the Adorama Player series deal is now $499.   I broke down and bought the Tele.  Click through the link and it's $499

Happy Thanksgiving

Hide contents

The Pinedale Shopping mall has just been bombed with live turkeys!  

It’s showing $549.

HERE is the link for $499?

https://slickdeals.net/f/16232317-fender-le-player-telecaster-electric-guitar-lake-placid-blue-499-free-s-h?prop=rcmid-8bf5e07dccf9d77b8700a96d9f1d879e&src=jfy

5FB62D15-6F39-4094-B4B9-102EE6854D93.thumb.png.7bfe6e59767a0df351c865a338d41fbb.png

…Which takes you to…

D8E93EC7-9AB7-42CC-B358-CCF36FDD25C6.thumb.png.7fa406c76ce7f7a758489a9756aab8a3.png

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Question for anyone who has bought one of these from Adorama...are the maple necks as pale as they look in the pics? I'd be all over it if they had a bit of tint to them. 

I bought the Adorama strat for my son a couple of years ago, it's pretty light in color.  The fretboard is gloss and the neck is satin.  I feel like the tele in the picture has a particularly pale neck but in my case n=1 .  Look at the strat pic and you can see more color in the wood. That is similar to my son's, but it is NOT tinted IMHO.

fe0144570002_1.jpg

I wish the fender logo was the silver one with pearl-ish fret markers.  But I bought one anyway.  Will report back when it shows up

Edited by locodos

Still fighting the urge to buy the LPB tele. I don't need it. I have too much stuff taking up space. I already have an American Tele and a Squire Bullet Tele that I haven't touched in a while. that money would be better spent toward photo stuff I use or something more useful. But it's a Lake Placid Tele.

Musiciansfriend is having a stupid deal of the HOUR, predictably. But it looks like they have changed it so you can't see the past deals of the hour with a chance to still buy them at the stupid deal price.

Edited by DougO

This is a really good Rick Beato interview with Eric Johnson.  I don't tend to follow the virtuosos, mostly because they work in a musical world I can't touch and frankly am not all that interested in, but in this interview you can tell that Eric is serious in his attention to detail and his pursuit of "perfection", without coming across as some kind of weirdo.  One really gets a sense of Eric's interest in the jazz greats and how that morphed into the early rock pioneers like Hendrix, Beck and Page.

I've only spoken with Eric once, when my friend Raf and I were leaving the original Whole Foods ~ 9th and Lamar.  We walked up to Raf's car, a vintage Thunderbird, and Eric was standing there ogling it.  We were both fans and were a little taken aback, but Eric was absolutely salt of the earth, asking Raf all about his car.  Apparently Eric is a fan of old T-Birds.  He was already mega-famous, but didn't give off the rock star vibe, and he doesn't in this Beato interview, either. 

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Deej said:

Question for anyone who has bought one of these from Adorama...are the maple necks as pale as they look in the pics? I'd be all over it if they had a bit of tint to them. 

17 hours ago, DougO said:

Take the neck off and hang in up in a sunny window for a while. It will probably get darker.

I have had my Strat on a stand near a window (north facing) and I think that the neck has gotten darker since I have done that. It’s been there for about 5+ months. 

It is probably two it is noticeably NOT nearly white like it was when I got it. If I were to buy the Tele, I would do the same. The neck now looks much better in my opinion. 

The photo would be at night under that new artificial bulb light, so it doesn’t look like it really looks, but exposure to indirect sunlight definitely helps. 

• Like 1

Last night i was taking one last look at that $499 Lake Placid blue Tele. Talked myself out of it for two weeks. I went to bed thinking, "what the fuck? It's Cyber Monday, if it's still the same price in the morning I'm buying it."

Back up to $549 today. Now I'd feel like I'm giving up $50 for nothing. Can't do it.

There's always Christmas / New Year extended black Friday Xmas Festivus/ Quansah, Post-Cyber Hail Satan/ pre-Apocalypse fakeass holiday blowout sale.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Last night i was taking one last look at that $499 Lake Placid blue Tele. Talked myself out of it for two weeks. I went to bed thinking, "what the fuck? It's Cyber Monday, if it's still the same price in the morning I'm buying it."

Back up to $549 today. Now I'd feel like I'm giving up $50 for nothing. Can't do it.

There's always Christmas / New Year extended black Friday Xmas Festivus/ Quansah, Post-Cyber Hail Satan/ pre-Apocalypse fakeass holiday blowout sale.

DUDE!!

$499 @ Slick Deals!!

3D05929D-E02E-4B04-B67D-02FEBDECD0E5.thumb.png.1daf265f6b16d0d5934dd2f6dc8bc875.png

https://slickdeals.net/f/16232317-fender-le-player-telecaster-electric-guitar-lake-placid-blue-499-free-s-h?

So what to do?

Call Adorama and tell them that you will buy it for $499, but will pass at $549.

As someone who had to go to Temple (and church… I’m a half-breed) growing up, I’m willing to bet $1 that they will accept a $499 offer.

Jew know what I’m sayin’?

Tell them that you were “sitting shiva” and missed Black Friday, but were surprised to see that the price went up for Cyber Monday. 

Guitar Practice Pedal*

*posted here due to greater traffic and limited discount window

BeatBuddy MINI $109 (-10%)

I got this beat metronome & beat machine and then I used the sweaty/oily Canadian burnout guitar teacher’s 10% Off code to nearly cover a secondary two-button switch pedal. 

The BeatBuddy MINI has a variety of beats that can be played at different speeds that accompany you and act as a metronome when you are learning new songs or performing. 

Guitar At Work guy’s Discount Code:

GAW10

4BAE2609-5E35-44FD-99AA-355FD678E71F.thumb.jpeg.bc25a23ffa52ffa4745ad2cf977073c6.jpeg

CC8BC344-8588-4DDF-BF42-EE161A5A839F.thumb.jpeg.d27fbc6e6f35788cc206d1796140a342.jpeg

Here are the items and what I paid.

0F51C9AF-A0E5-4D65-9A06-076035244380.thumb.jpeg.776811b340ce8231e28a706757fa69f8.jpeg

3DE45427-2868-4E3D-A2B8-7A0E890D5AD0.thumb.jpeg.ff16179cd126049b1a42dfa4d97abd60.jpeg

D753F20A-99FD-4025-9632-833B3CDB52B2.thumb.jpeg.c53e874955e81c0b5dc833c628200584.jpeg

I think that it is Free Shipping if you go over $100, because the Switch+ was going to cost $13 for shipping if I hadn’t combined it with the MINI.

https://www.singularsound.com/products/beatbuddy-mini

Edited by Napoleon

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

DUDE!!

$499 @ Slick Deals!!

3D05929D-E02E-4B04-B67D-02FEBDECD0E5.thumb.png.1daf265f6b16d0d5934dd2f6dc8bc875.png

https://slickdeals.net/f/16232317-fender-le-player-telecaster-electric-guitar-lake-placid-blue-499-free-s-h?

So what to do?

Call Adorama and tell them that you will buy it for $499, but will pass at $549.

As someone who had to go to Temple (and church… I’m a half-breed) growing up, I’m willing to bet $1 that they will accept a $499 offer.

Jew know what I’m sayin’?

Tell them that you were “sitting shiva” and missed Black Friday, but were surprised to see that the price went up for Cyber Monday. 

Already tried that. It still comes up as $549. Maybe it's a browser trick where they read my mind and jack up the price. 

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Already tried that. It still comes up as $549. Maybe it's a browser trick where they read my mind and jack up the price. 

You tried calling them and haggling like you were at a stall in the Old City of Jerusalem?

There is more to getting ahead in life than simply clicking links.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You tried calling them and haggling like you were at a stall in the Old City of Jerusalem?

There is more to getting ahead in life than simply clicking links.

Not sure it would be getting ahead. It was probably more like a fairy godmother doing me a favor and saving me $500 for something I don't need.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

Not sure it would be getting ahead. It was probably more like a fairy godmother doing me a favor and saving me $500 for something I don't need.

Same. I have wondered if I made the right choice buying the Strat over the Tele two years ago or so and have considered buying it a few times when it has dropped into the $539 & $549 range. I am saving the $499 price & Adorama screenshot (from above in the thread) in case I want to buy it at a later date. Those guitars aren't getting any more modern and they've established their new low price.

I'm likely going to Spain later this month and want to get one of those Jet JT-300 teles with the satin roasted maple neck (rosewood fingerboard) in a Daphne Blue if I can find one. Lots of Jet retailers in Spain (I'm going to Madrid and maybe elsewhere) and would like to buy one, take the neck off, and bring it back as a trophy.

https://jetguitars.com/guitars/300-series/jet-jt-300/

image.thumb.png.a8e3e197ad092b2d995ffae54b6d58b9.png

image.thumb.png.69fcdd3881a1273ebc35a54227795b1c.png

348132701_ScreenShot2022-11-28at7_11_50PM.thumb.png.ca5c1b229a97c4cbb00c3b3e5f8265a3.png

It should run about $200 and maybe even less than that if I get my VAT back on the way out at the airport.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe I circle back for the $499 Tele from Adorama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, Napoleon said:

Same. I have wondered if I made the right choice buying the Strat over the Tele two years ago or so and have considered buying it a few times when it has dropped into the $539 & $549 range. I am saving the $499 price & Adorama screenshot (from above in the thread) in case I want to buy it at a later date. Those guitars aren't getting any more modern and they've established their new low price.

I'm likely going to Spain later this month and want to get one of those Jet JT-300 teles with the satin roasted maple neck (rosewood fingerboard) in a Daphne Blue if I can find one. Lots of Jet retailers in Spain (I'm going to Madrid and maybe elsewhere) and would like to buy one, take the neck off, and bring it back as a trophy.

https://jetguitars.com/guitars/300-series/jet-jt-300/

It should run about $200 and maybe even less than that if I get my VAT back on the way out at the airport.

If that doesn't happen, then maybe I circle back for the $499 Tele from Adorama.

Maybe just order it?

https://www.musicroom.com/js300-electric-guitar-blue-jetjs300bl

it has a warning that it can't be shipped to some countries.  Added it to a cart then selected USA and it seemed to be ok.  ymmv