The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

20 hours ago, G650 said:

Oh shit, do it. That's what I have in my Strat Plus. My favorite Fender pickups bar none.

I thought about it and it seemed quite logical. I had it in my cart. Basically the price of the pickups with the guard, other parts and wiring labor thrown in for free. I got a call that kept me on the phone over an hour and the deal was long gone.

But I probably wasn't going to do it anyway. Still, I have it filed away in case it shows up again. I probably could have called or messaged and got the deal but wasn't ready to go for it. 

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

So the fam and I went to Vietnam for vacay. While there we got to check out some folk music these guys were playing on guitar but it did not sound like guitar as we know it. The tuning was something way different. They were using scalloped necks to get these wild 1/4 tones. Yngwie Malmsteen got nothing on these guys.
d7a68f79e8d4d24974435f970748d04c.jpg
266623e868b19202cb3c7d1b48c0062e.jpg

The anti-buzz roll bar hack above the nut is interesting. Not as interesting as the lady in pink behind the neck.

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

I thought about it and it seemed quite logical. I had it in my cart. Basically the price of the pickups with the guard, other parts and wiring labor thrown in for free. I got a call that kept me on the phone over an hour and the deal was long gone.

But I probably wasn't going to do it anyway. Still, I have it filed away in case it shows up again. I probably could have called or messaged and got the deal but wasn't ready to go for it. 

Eh, you can get just about any imaginable configuration of a loaded pickguard at multiple shops.  I like these guys:

920D Custom

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If she sticks with it, you’ll need to get her a subscription to HIGH TIMES.

QUESTIONS: Is that the standard PLAYER series?

What was the pre-tax price?

Yes, it is.  It was $850 list price we got it for $750 with a used gator gig bag thrown in.  No way to have leverage when your daughter looks like that, so I had previously watched a ton of them on Reverb and had 10 or so offers from sellers from $750 down to as low as $700.  Showed him the $700 offer and he said he could sell it for $750 with the gig bag thrown in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The anti-buzz roll bar hack above the nut is interesting. Not as interesting as the lady in pink behind the neck.

Good eye. This was my way of taking a decent shot of her without upsetting my travel companions.

Those ao dai dresses are great.
My daughter got her bumblebee telecaster today.  She was stoked, and so was I.
D6124B21-79E7-4862-879A-4D577E85B439.thumb.jpeg.3f31efc956f1be36ceff78f35b1d934d.jpeg

I love this! Joy for years to come on all accounts.
  • Like 3

that looks great. i was trying to remember the deal with Highway 1s and it was about as I remembered - when they went from American Standard to American Series in 2001ish (and those guitars got a bit more expensive), they introduced the Highway 1 series which was American made at a tad lower of a price point, with a thinner satin finish. One could imagine that a thinner more satin finish would age in a very cool way, and that picture indicates that this could be true. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

that looks great. i was trying to remember the deal with Highway 1s and it was about as I remembered - when they went from American Standard to American Series in 2001ish (and those guitars got a bit more expensive), they introduced the Highway 1 series which was American made at a tad lower of a price point, with a thinner satin finish. One could imagine that a thinner more satin finish would age in a very cool way, and that picture indicates that this could be true. 

I dunno about the transitioning from models, but otherwise that’s what I understand.  American, thin skin nitro, a neck on the skinny side as far as depth, but with a 1 11/16” nut width and a somewhat vintagey look and sound.  This is a 2004 and has a good bit of wear.  Mostly cosmetic, but if I like the neck and decide to keep it, it will need some fret work.

Fuzzfaced is where I got my info on them.

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/highway-one-versione-1.html

3 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Nice, I need to try a tele with a bucker someday...

I haven't played it plugged in yet, but it feels amazing. 

Speaking of buckers, my mojotone PAF clones for my SG came in earlier than expected.  Now I'm waiting on a wiring harness from a guy who apparently is well known (as of last year) for taking your money and not sending you your order for months on end.  Wish I'd seen that sooner.  I emailed him that I'll need them shipped by the 10th or cancel the order.  Getting ready to let the CC company deal with him and order from somewhere else.  Too bad.  Supposedly, he kids are excellent.

Edited by dcbc

So, hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to remove sharpie from a nitro guitar, a Magic Eraser should do the trick, no? Nitrocellulose is pourous and I expect it to hold onto the ink pretty well, but has anyone attempted something like this?

https://reverb.com/item/61047082-gibson-les-paul-standard-hp-2018-mojave-fade-signed-by-leon-bridges

I might make an offer, but if removing that signature fucks up the finish it's going to royally suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BoomMF said:

So, hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to remove sharpie from a nitro guitar, a Magic Eraser should do the trick, no? Nitrocellulose is pourous and I expect it to hold onto the ink pretty well, but has anyone attempted something like this?

https://reverb.com/item/61047082-gibson-les-paul-standard-hp-2018-mojave-fade-signed-by-leon-bridges

I might make an offer, but if removing that signature fucks up the finish it's going to royally suck.

Never before has G650's FAFA rep been more appropriate.

I've used magic eraser to remove stains from vinyl boat seats, but I alwasy was warned to use it sparingly because it was removing a layer of vinyl.  I have a feeling you would see a worn spot if you are removing something from a nitro finish.  But I've never tried it.

5 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Hard pass on that if you don't want the signature on it. That's not coming off without some sort of permanent reminder that it was there. 

Would the dry erase marker trick not work here?

6 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I want to snuggle up with that top.   Goddammit, Leon!

No idea if there’s any way to get that off without fucking it up worse.  I would just bid accordingly.  “I’m sorry some dude named Leon shit all over your guitar.  I’ll give you tree fiddy for it.”

I can’t imagine that sig is doing anything but removing value.

• Like 1

I'd tell the seller that if he gets the signature off cleanly, you'll buy it.

It's not worth the headache. You would more than likely end up taking it to a professional to spot fix the finish, or have it refinished entirely, after you got finished with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, there are way too many great guitars out there to spend $3K on a flyer that might get irreparably damaged trying to get rid of a signature.

I mean, if it were signed by Jimmy Page or Slash or some other LP icon, I'd just keep the signature, but this one?  Nah.  Pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Naptha is the first thing I would try for getting marks off. It is considered pretty safe with most surfaces, but I would still be careful to not let it get in any joints, cracks, electronic stuff.

The dry erase thing seems like it would be pretty safe since dry erase would come off easily if it doesn't work.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, damn. This is not giving me much confidence. We can put a man on the moon but can't remove some sharpie in 2022? What have we been doing with ourselves as a people?

Offered him $2200, he replied that the best he could do $2700.

I'm starting to wonder what I'm willing to live with to get that top because that top fucks.

Edited by BoomMF

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Well, damn. This is not giving me much confidence. We can put a man on the moon but can't remove some sharpie in 2022? What have we been doing with ourselves as a people?

I'm starting to wonder what I'm willing to live with to get that top because that top fucks.

Depends on where you put the sharpie

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Agree that's a special top, and if you continue negotiations and/or buy it, I think that's the mindset to have -- what are you willing to pay for that guitar if you have to live with either the signature or the results of a botched cleanup?

14 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Why would someone put a Gibson headstock on a single cutaway PRS?

Speaking of PRS: after exclusively noodling on this beater Squier Strat for a few weeks I pulled the Custom 24 out of the case. I expected it to feel like taking off leg weights and going for a run, but instead I hated it. It needs new strings but I just didn't really click with it and it sounded like shit to my Fender-stained ears now too. It was weird.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

The problem is that ink gets down into a nitro finish. Anybody having anything other that a poly finished guitar signed isn't thinking it through. 

How deep do you think it would seep in? I would guess it's just barely, but I ain't spending my money on it. If nothing else worked, some super fine polish like Novus, flitz or Mequiars ultra finish would probably get it off and even make the guitar shinier without taking off a significant amount of coating. If I already owned a guitar that got accidentally marked I wouldn't worry much about it and just try the above remedies. But paying a substantial price for a guitar with that on it would be another thing.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there something about that LP that's rare?   You can't find that top elsewhere, sans Sharpie?

A few things, imo. You can tell it's a AAAA top from a mile away. Quilted is pretty rare, I think, on HPs which might be my favorite iteration of LP Standards Gibson ever attempted with their main line releases. Though 2018 is my least favorite or that run, I still appreciate some of the chances on the 2018 that lead to a more playable/better user experience guitar (I think this was the only year where the necks were Plek'd AND cryo'd as standard, for instance). If this was a 2016-2017 HP I wouldn't even be asking you jokers, I'd just be posting about how I screwed up the paint and help me plz. I'm even down with the Tronical because I'm old but not that old. Short story long, I've never seen quilted HP before (they always have those deep, gorgeous 3D-looking fuck you flame tops).

Edited by BoomMF

A few things, imo. You can tell it's a AAAA top from a mile away. Quilted is pretty rare, I think, on HPs which might be my favorite iteration of LP Standards Gibson ever attempted with their main line releases. Though 2018 is my least favorite or that run, I still appreciate some of the chances on the 2018 that lead to a more playable/better user experience guitar (I think this was the only year where the necks were Plek'd AND cryo'd as standard, for instance). If this was a 2016-2017 HP I wouldn't even be asking you jokers, I'd just be posting about how I screwed up the paint and help me plz. I'm even down with the Tronical because I'm I'm old but not that old. Short story long, I've never seen quilted HP before (they always have those deep, gorgeous 3D-looking fuck you flame tops).

Eventually that signature will wear off on its own. Or not.

You clearly want it. You should get it.

Highway 1 Strat arrived and I love its look.  I need to get it set up well and some fret work done high on the neck above the 15th fret, but I think it’s gonna be a player when I’m done fucking with it.  I love the dark rosewood board that is getting harder and harder to find.

90AD9123-915A-45DA-9639-39D57F045A91.jpeg

351CFBB3-1730-416B-818D-B1C5F6C10B60.jpeg

5183E430-6B74-45DE-9134-E879AB1FC5C0.jpeg

6D8F918F-0F1F-4AD5-87ED-09B99B520AB3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3