The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

This little LG-1 is growing on me.  It’s got this great boxy, wooden tone that’s perfect for fingerpicked blues, folk & Americana.  It’s going to always suck for me when making the cowboy chord shapes at the nut, but I have other acoustics for that.  I may wind up keeping this awhile.

Les Gaul(s) 1

French guitar?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm not going to lie though, I have day dreams that once I finish restoration on the 58 he plays it and offers me 350 grand for it.

We fully expect you to respond to his indecent proposal with, “I’m sorry, sir, but your white privilege blues is beneath such a fine instrument.”

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We fully expect you to respond to his indecent proposal with, “I’m sorry, sir, but your white privilege blues is beneath such a fine instrument.”

George Carlin was precisely talking about Joe in his White People Got no Business Playing the Blues bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

My shipment from AVG just surfaced with a ping from Vernon, TX?  Looking like UPS said fuck it, we’ll pay a hitch hiker to deliver this to CO.

Also, I’m not sure what this is or how it works for the rest of the world, but I’m pretty sure JoeB will be getting a new ‘59 burst out of the bargain.

00CCDFB0-B2F4-413A-B129-D9CEF7C00E70.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I noticed this too about my pedal lust, recently. It's been awhile since a new pedal caught my attention, but Strymon has a track record that doesn't have any misses so they're easy to lust after. And now I'm about 4 vids in...
Did Kemper, Positive Grid, et al, create this general apathy towards pedaldom?

Well I have a Katana and a Spark and it’s still easier to just plug in pedals IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jam day today. Recording. I bought a studio. 
Pro tools 11, a badass interface, and a dell with 64gb ram and i9 processor. My drummer learning to teach me. I’m not great with tech so he will get through all of the stupid manual and teach me what’s up. He recorded some drum tracks and we are gonna do bass and drums today. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Pro tools 11, a badass interface, and a dell with 64gb ram and i9 processor. My drummer learning to teach me. I’m not great with tech so he will get through all of the stupid manual and teach me what’s up. He recorded some drum tracks and we are gonna do bass and drums today. 

Lot of recording info exchange in the share your music thread.

51 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

That's good, but if you could spring for the Commodore 64, you would be much happier.

• Haha 1

I bet there's a lot of fret buzz.
FB_IMG_1675693431422.thumb.jpg.27bcc0eb18508fb6ccfd5b0bee111f0f.jpg

I hate shitting on other bands but..

We played a show way out in the middle of nowhere Friday night. There was a dude there wearing a knee length jacket with no less than 5 Oasis patches on it, and he was wearing sunglasses inside at night. Turned out he sang, off key, with one of the other bands. Somehow, he sang with a British accent even though he spoke with an American one. Our singer was like, "WTF? I'm Australian and even I sing with an American can accent!" The guy's posturing on stage really put it over the top.

I'll say one thing for Oasis fans. They really love Oasis.
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Nice looking guitar deej...anxious for remarks

I can't wait to get home and plug her in to an amp. I had Sweetwater do a setup, which included polishing the frets and filing the fret edges. Neck feels great. Chunky. First guitar with a wraparound tailpiece. Plays well unplugged. I'm hoping the P90's sound as good as the ones in my 339. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I hate shitting on other bands but..

We played a show way out in the middle of nowhere Friday night. There was a dude there wearing a knee length jacket with no less than 5 Oasis patches on it, and he was wearing sunglasses inside at night. Turned out he sang, off key, with one of the other bands. Somehow, he sang with a British accent even though he spoke with an American one. Our singer was like, "WTF? I'm Australian and even I sing with an American can accent!" The guy's posturing on stage really put it over the top.

I'll say one thing for Oasis fans. They really love Oasis.

So you're saying you are going to judge me if I wear a dragon suit when I play Zeppelin?

On 2/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, Goredho said:

Anyone have any ideas how to identify the custom shop pickups that came in the Highway 1 Strat?  I guess I could get a multimeter measurement to get to a list of possibilities.

ABC3B570-C484-49B1-8BF1-A9CBF6BF1861.jpeg

These turned out to be Texas specials.  Nice bit of change to find in the sofa.

• Like 2

Any of you Austin guys know a band called the Hickoids? We've been asked to play with them when they come through town next month. What i saw on YouTube kinda looks like a punky, parody cover band.

LOL.  Yeah.  They're legends.  They lost one of their main dudes but they're still going at it.  My daughter's band played their Saustex Records showcase at SXSW last year.
Hickoids were fun tonight. It's too bad we blew the chance to open. The venue is in our sand box and there would have been a bigger crowd for them. Glad we drove down to see them anyway. It's that place by the beach in Pacifica I've posted about before.

They said they played in Vegas last night. I've made that drive a few times and it's a beating. Can't imagine playing a show at the end of if. Hats off to them.

8f824bc21b82099ff1b8e71aa5b87b20.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

I got my old SG Faded back yesterday with its 50s wiring harness and aged nickle Mojotone PAF ("59 Clones").  This thing feels like a new guitar.  All the mud is gone and it absolutely ripped it through my 5F10 Harvard(ish) last night.  Pics to follow.  Those aged nickle covers look amazing.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/6/2023 at 3:54 PM, Deej said:

I can't wait to get home and plug her in to an amp. I had Sweetwater do a setup, which included polishing the frets and filing the fret edges. Neck feels great. Chunky. First guitar with a wraparound tailpiece. Plays well unplugged. I'm hoping the P90's sound as good as the ones in my 339. 

How much extra is it for a Sweetwater setup?

On 2/6/2023 at 7:57 PM, Deej said:

20230206_195533.thumb.jpg.bb28a4acabe6c042ec542d1826e084a8.jpg

Take THAT Nick Beato!

image.gif.e412a5943e60ad360e850c785c96059b.gif

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I've only bought one guitar from them, but I don't recall paying extra for the setup.  Same with Wildwood. 

Sweetwater has never included a set up, just the 55-point inspection, which means they just go over the guitar to make sure everything is all there and nothing is broken. 

They included the checklist of what they did, things like fret polish and filing the fret ends. Included the packaging from the strings they used to replace the factory strings. Your rep will ask you a series of questions about how you like it set up, shit like that. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sweetwater has never included a set up, just the 55-point inspection, which means they just go over the guitar to make sure everything is all there and nothing is broken. 

They included the checklist of what they did, things like fret polish and filing the fret ends. Included the packaging from the strings they used to replace the factory strings. Your rep will ask you a series of questions about how you like it set up, shit like that. 

I just got lucky then.  Because the Les Paul I bought from them in 2014 plays better out of the box than anything I own. 

Wildwood included a setup on my '52 AV Tele for sure.  They asked lots of questions over the phone. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I just got lucky then.  Because the Les Paul I bought from them in 2014 plays better out of the box than anything I own. 

Wildwood included a setup on my '52 AV Tele for sure.  They asked lots of questions over the phone. 

If I was buying a higher-end guitar, I'd have talked my rep into throwing it in for free. On a $450 guitar, I wasn't going to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

If I was buying a higher-end guitar, I'd have talked my rep into throwing it in for free. On a $450 guitar, I wasn't going to do that. 

I never asked for it from either place. 

I also ordered the LP without talking to a rep and have avoided said rep's phone calls ever since I mistakenly answered the first one.

• Haha 1

I never asked for it from either place. 

I also ordered the LP without talking to a rep and have avoided said rep's phone calls ever since I mistakenly answered the first one.
You should. Those reps can save you a ton of cash. Not only did mine save my like $800 on my Les Paul, when I was looking for a drum kit to put in my apartment he found a kit in the warehouse that wasn't even on the website he offered me for a killer deal.

If they call too much let them know and they'll back off. I've asked that mine check in about once a quarter so I'll know she's still there, otherwise ill reach out if I need anything.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

If nothing else, they'll take enough off usually to cover the sales tax. 

It was the first time I'd used them, and I didn't know about the rep thing at that point.  It's been about 9 years since I've ordered anything big from them.  I bought a used pedalboard from them off ebay a few years later.  The rep contacted me after that to see how everything was.  I told him there was no velcro in the box and that omission wasn't in the listing.  He said he'd look into it  and never got back in touch.  I think customer service can be hit and miss depending on the rep.  Anyway, for what LPs are going for these days, I feel like I got a pretty good discount already.  But at the time, I surely left a few bucks on the table.

Edited by dcbc

6 hours ago, sidis said:

on the topic of setups, i was thinking that my three ladies (strat, tele, lp) all needed a little refresh.  for all you guitar setup snobs in austin, any recommendations on where to take them?

i ended up taking the LP and Strat to Straight Frets here in austin.  pretty good experience so far.  we agreed that some of the high frets on the LP needed some plecking (as i'd notices some buzzing sizzle when playing in the middle of the neck).  going to do that along with replacing the nut.  the strat was in great shape and didn't need much of anything.  we'll see if happier in a week.

• Hook 'Em 2