The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

46 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

What's the rundown here Bogey?  What are you using that impressive rack for?

2 QSC’s for 3 monitors and 2 speakers also a jbl sub. The red rack is my new interface for my new pro tools 11. It’s a rolling studio basically. When we jam we mic everything up and dial shit in. Sounds awesome 

18 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

2 QSC’s for 3 monitors and 2 speakers also a jbl sub. The red rack is my new interface for my new pro tools 11. It’s a rolling studio basically. When we jam we mic everything up and dial shit in. Sounds awesome 

How are you monitoring during tracking? Headphone mixer or are you going direct?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

How are you monitoring during tracking? Headphone mixer or are you going direct?

I have no idea what I’m doing yet. It’s at the drummers. He’s figuring things out and is gonna teach me. I believe for drums he went from drum mics to interface to hard drive. Also I think I’m mic’ing my guitar cab up with a sm57. Into interface to computer. I think. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I have no idea what I’m doing yet. It’s at the drummers. He’s figuring things out and is gonna teach me. I believe for drums he went from drum mics to interface to hard drive. Also I think I’m mic’ing my guitar cab up with a sm57. Into interface to computer. I think. 

Ha, awesome man, you are at the most fun stage.

So overdubbing anything, if you are going to mic the cab, you will need to monitor in headphones or the mic will have all sorts of weird sound recycling going on as it picks up the open monitors. You can do a single pass live track with no monitor at all.

25 minutes ago, G650 said:

So overdubbing anything, if you are going to mic the cab, you will need to monitor in headphones or the mic will have all sorts of weird sound recycling going on as it picks up the open monitors. You can do a single pass live track with no monitor at all.

Old trick that works pretty well when tracking to live monitors in the room:

1. do the take, with the knowledge that the recorded track will not only be the desired take but will include some bleed of whatever is coming over the monitors (presumably drums, bass, vocals, etc.)

2. without changing anything (mic position, etc.), mute the current take, arm a second track for recording, and record that monitor mix  on the mic that was mic'ing your amp

3. unmute the original take that has the bleed, flip the phase of one of those two tracks, push them up in the mis together, voila! the bleed disappears leaving only the guitar part

It's surprisingly effective and allows you to crank the monitor mix for players, singers, whatever without headphones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Old trick that works pretty well when tracking to live monitors in the room:

1. do the take, with the knowledge that the recorded track will not only be the desired take but will include some bleed of whatever is coming over the monitors (presumably drums, bass, vocals, etc.)

2. without changing anything (mic position, etc.), mute the current take, arm a second track for recording, and record that monitor mix  on the mic that was mic'ing your amp

3. unmute the original take that has the bleed, flip the phase of one of those two tracks, push them up in the mis together, voila! the bleed disappears leaving only the guitar part

It's surprisingly effective and allows you to crank the monitor mix for players, singers, whatever without headphones.

Yeah, you can do that but you still end up with artifacts. In the tape era we also had to be mindful of how many times we dubbed. I think headphone mix is the way to go if you are live tracking in a single room. Really the best way is to sit in the control room, but obviously that's not going g to be this situation.

I guess I should reiterate I'm a dinosaur in many ways too so it's best to treat anything I say as having about 10% old man yelling at clouds content.

I actually prefer to track everything with headphones, open monitors in that sort of space with a loud rock and roll band is just creating gobs of untreated cacophony.

It's not perfect, but in a rock mix the artifacts are virtually nonexistent.  I wouldn't necessarily use the resulting pair for a solo'ed part of a mix, but if the band is going, it's plenty isolated.

I mean, a click track in headphones bleeds more than that half the time.  At least here we're talking about bleed that is coherent and part of the mix.

I actually like some bleed in live tracking, it's like glue. But you guys will figure out what works best.

Excited to hear some stuff man.
I've read that this is AC/DC's approach, specifically with descriptor of "glue" for the bleed. They learned it from Mutt Lang I believe.

Back to the recent track this thread has taken.

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've read that this is AC/DC's approach, specifically with descriptor of "glue" for the bleed. They learned it from Mutt Lang I believe.

Back to the recent track this thread has taken.

Yep. The one caveat is you have to be tight enough to keep it.

Edit: Or punk rock enough to say fuck it!

Edited by G650