The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 3/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, Buzzrock said:

Cadillac Three is terrible. They were better when they were American Bang but even then they were trying way too hard.

American Bang was a great one-off album, one of my favorite of the millennium. No question they sold out for the low common denominator country-fried cheeseball "I'm from the south" related song with TC3, and did well with it. But they are a damn good live band. Really a shame the industry couldn't support the original version on to some more great albums.

Edited by DougO

Need a vintage expert, I’ve wanted one of these for a while and am pissed I didn’t know they were dropping a Noel Gallagher model but anyway. What’s the worth on this? I want to start a vintage collection. What is the thoughts on conditions ect. Let me know

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1966-ES-355TDSV-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

31 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Need a vintage expert, I’ve wanted one of these for a while and am pissed I didn’t know they were dropping a Noel Gallagher model but anyway. What’s the worth on this? I want to start a vintage collection. What is the thoughts on conditions ect. Let me know

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1966-ES-355TDSV-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

That's probably in the ballpark for a late 60s ES, but this one has a neck reset which would worry me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Make sure you like skinny nut widths.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i've been preparing my wife for the idea that a new guitar is on the way. today she said that she doesn't care about the cost, it's the space. so my thinking is evolving from les paul special towards gold top.

She’s got a really good point. DM me and I’ll give you my shipping address for all your guitars but the new one. Problem solved 

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Exactly how many guitars do own? 

Maybe hold off on buying a few new guitar and a invest in a sprinkler system?

😂

Not enough. (I did thin the herd a bit...I think I have 14)

Too many dogs here on a regular basis to keep chasing that grass. Put.enough time and effort into it too many times just to watch it get destroyed eventually.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mentioned this a month or two ago -- I've been wanting to experiment with a rubber bridge guitar, but the ones I've seen for sale on Reverb are really overpriced.  So I decided to get a guitar that fills a lane for me anyway, and then just by a rubber bridge that fits it.  That way if it doesn't work out or if I get bored with it, I can always go back to a conventional bridge and have an instrument that I'll use and play.

So... new guitar day on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:33 PM, Deej said:

So, after a few months with the Epiphone 59 Les Paul, I have to say I'm impressed.  Is it as sexy as the Gibson? No. But I keep hearing something through every amp that wasn't quite there with my Gibson. Sustain. 

20230311_200803.thumb.jpg.6b8ed8b4d6018d5de0db4b2a7435919b.jpg

Probably been asked, but do you know what pickups it has in it?

I must also say that both of those 59's play great. They feel great in my hands and play like butter. I had to tweak the truss rod a bit on the new one, but it's great now. They aren't as pretty as the Gibson 60's Standard I had, but they play and sound better. The fatter 59 neck as opposed to the slim taper on the 60's and I like these pickups much better. These also have a long neck tenon. 

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Burstbuckers, IIRC.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

This is correct. They sound great. 

I have burstbuckers on my Classic. Ive had to adjust the pickup heights because of significant difference in volumes. The neck pickup is probably way too high and sounds muddy. The bridge pickup is much clearer, but I would prefer a more scooped sound.

Anyone have experience with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge? I listened to a few clips and prefer it over the JB. 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, tbone_ said:

Why does she get an opinion on how cluttered your guitar room is?

honestly she shouldn't but she grew up in shitty dirty cluttered houses/apartments and then moved into my house where it was definitely my place she was living in and the main casual living area had one side entirely devoted to guitars and amps and shit

image.thumb.png.8dc2725cc6eeb2b4a9f6f5aedebb5f5a.png

and then we moved and got a bigger fancier place and redid the kitchen and the bathroom to suit her vision and for the first time in her life she has a nice clean pretty home that is hers. And she should honestly just let me buy one of those double decker guitar case racks and stick it in my office, but you can see into my office from the hallway or sometimes outside, and to be fair I do have 15 guitar cases taking up maybe a quarter of the big long storage closet in the attic... she's neurotic about it and oversteps when it comes to my space but we're both a bit crazy (we met in rehab after all) and that's how it goes.

Anyways, operation "give her a peloton and tell her I'm buying a guitar" went without a hitch. I just called up GC and Sam Ash locally and neither of them have gold tops. It doesn't look like Guru Guitars or Harrys Guitar Shop will either, so I think I'm going to place a call to Ft Wayne Indiana and finally talk to that fucker who's always checking in on how those strings are working out for me.

RIP Kevin you were a real one.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

i think a lot of the color difference is lighting, I was trying to decide how much that was the case and the picture of the back convinced me it's quite a bit. sweetwater rep agrees. Which makes me think lighter weight #2 is the choice. Pretty heavy, although not expecting a non weight relieved les paul to be particularly light.