The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

32 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Can you say a bit more how it played and sounded,  vs some reference std?   

I have never owned a high end acoustic, but I have played many either owned by friends/family or at shops here in Colorado or down in Austin.  A few Martins (3-4 D-28s), a few Collings (can't remember) and a lot of Gibsons (J45, Southern Jumbo, Doves, Hummingbirds, etc...).  I've also owned/played a lot of acoustics in the $300-$1500 range (Epiphone, Eastman, Takamine). 

The only acoustic that I have played that I would say compared was a Collings, and I can't remember the model number.  But it was a dreadnought, and also in the $5K-$6K price range.  This is more of a jumbo/super jumbo type of body size/shape, and maple vs rosewood.  I'd say they were of equivalent quality, sound and playability, with personal preferences being what might determine which you would prefer over the other.

There is definitely a different tone and feel between them, I am guessing due to the maple?  But I can't say one was better than the other.  They were just different.  The Lowden probably has a little more clarity, a little less fullness and sustain than I remember from the Collings.  What sticks out to me was how gorgeous the Lowden sounded when finger picking.  That's what I tend to do on acoustics, so that really stood out to me.

So I'd say a Lowden is basically an Irish Collings.  A McCollings, if you will.

• Like 2

Right now I’m only playing the Taylor cedar.   My old Yairi just doesn’t compete.  So, after disposing of a few, I will be looking for a non Taylor dreadnought or Jumbo that pleases me as much as the 714.   For another room, etc.   As a crip, I don’t like toting guitars around, unless I have to.

I see the Gibson guy from Bozeman joined Guild.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I have never owned a high end acoustic, but I have played many either owned by friends/family or at shops here in Colorado or down in Austin.  A few Martins (3-4 D-28s), a few Collings (can't remember) and a lot of Gibsons (J45, Southern Jumbo, Doves, Hummingbirds, etc...).  I've also owned/played a lot of acoustics in the $300-$1500 range (Epiphone, Eastman, Takamine). 

The only acoustic that I have played that I would say compared was a Collings, and I can't remember the model number.  But it was a dreadnought, and also in the $5K-$6K price range.  This is more of a jumbo/super jumbo type of body size/shape, and maple vs rosewood.  I'd say they were of equivalent quality, sound and playability, with personal preferences being what might determine which you would prefer over the other.

There is definitely a different tone and feel between them, I am guessing due to the maple?  But I can't say one was better than the other.  They were just different.  The Lowden probably has a little more clarity, a little less fullness and sustain than I remember from the Collings.  What sticks out to me was how gorgeous the Lowden sounded when finger picking.  That's what I tend to do on acoustics, so that really stood out to me.

So I'd say a Lowden is basically an Irish Collings.  A McCollings, if you will.

Just went to the Collings site.  Mercy.  I could be in trouble.   A dealer across the water in Fremont….

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I have Billy Strings tickets for May 17. Will have dinner at my favorite old school steakhouse before the show. Like that evening will be any good.

I'd need a nap and a giant shit after eating at a steakhouse. Concert is not conducive to either of those things.

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'd need a nap and a giant shit after eating at a steakhouse. Concert is not conducive to either of those things.

It’s better to burn out than fade away.

- Stephen Hawking

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

It’s better to burn out than fade away.

- Stephen Hawking

Don't believe everything you read on the internet

- Abraham Lincoln

I know that Gibson's CEO was famously a gigantic douche, the kind which makes an entire company toxic and unpleasant to work for. And I know he was ousted in like 2019 whenever Gibson was in bankruptcy and they put in some guy from Levis. And just from devouring gold top videos over the weekend it seems like the changes he has made are well received, and... where I was always suspect of any Gibson from a QC perspective and was even hesitant to buy this one sight unseen, this guitar plays perfectly up and down the neck and I don't see any issues or sloppiness with it. And it has stayed in tune since I took it out of the box and tuned it ever so slightly (cavalierly disregarding the 24 hour warning), which always seems like a harbinger of good quality.

Anyways, I'm wondering if Gibson is kicking ass right now and if that holds for Epiphone as well.

ugggh I have to roll out some pizzas for tomorrow night and clean up the downstairs before i can go fuck around with the katana in the attic but I don't want to stop noodling at my desk

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

is there a difference between a standard and a custom other than headstock inlay and gold hardware? I guess ebony fretboard?

also, can't forget studio. love a wine red studio and i keep getting targeted with ads featuring this particularly attractive one (which I obviously don't need)

image.png.405c37ae23661d8f63a62d1cc04daabd.png

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

is there a difference between a standard and a custom other than headstock inlay and gold hardware? I guess ebony fretboard?

also, can't forget studio. love a wine red studio and i keep getting targeted with ads featuring this particularly attractive one (which I obviously don't need)

Mahogany neck on the Custom. Used to be all Mahogany

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I have a wine red with gold hardware studio. Mid 2000’s. It’s ok. It was my first nice guitar. Put a EMG in it and hate it. Then I got my PRS and never touched it again

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

do standards not typically have mahogany necks? I'm not... nick offerman or anything when it comes to identifying wood but I'm pretty sure both my LPs have hog necks.

Duh, nevermind I am am idiot. I was looking at my 77 with the maple neck. I don't know what I was thinking.

I'm not sure I've ever played a Custom, but I understand they are known for tiny frets. Often referred to as "fretless wonders".

They also have binding on the back that I've always thought l Iooks sexy.

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

For only $20k, you too can own a genuine replica of the famous “Greeny” Les Paul…

It's funny how he's talking about wanting to inspire the players who come after him with these Greenies will go on to play great inspirational things. 

Sorry buddy, but those things aren't being played through an 8 in practice speaker by some teenage wunderkind in a trailer house.  These are going in display cases in doctors music rooms.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's funny how he's talking about wanting to inspire the players who come after him with these Greenies will go on to play great inspirational things. 

Sorry buddy, but those things aren't being played through an 8 in practice speaker by some teenage wunderkind in a trailer house.  These are going in display cases in doctors music rooms.  

"Peter Green's hands have been on it...  Gary Moore's hands have been on it...  But my hands?  My hands are on your wallet."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

My Strummer Tele inspires me, but then again, it was less than a tenth of the price. 

Weird questions, but whatever, I'm rolling:

1.  for righties, what's your strongest "go to" left hand finger for bending, etc.?  (reverse question for lefties)

2.  is your vibrato "classic" (a pivot about the fingered string) or "fake" (moving the string up and down with the pivot finger)?

For me:  

1. ring finger

2. oh so fake

Edited by jimmyjazz

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

1.  for righties, what's your strongest "go to" left hand finger for bending, etc.?  (reverse question for lefties)

2.  is your vibrato "classic" (a pivot about the fingered string) or "fake" (moving the string up and down with the pivot finger)?

For me:  

1. ring finger

2. oh so fake

1.  Ring for me.  I'll even stretch it up for 4 fret bends most times.

2.  I have no idea.  Probably the fake one, like Stevie appeared to be doing.  Or, just having tried it it, I'm back to I don't know.  I just do it (also like Stevie appeared to be doing).  Beats me.

Edited by dcbc

On 3/27/2023 at 12:44 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding jumbos, I play my mid-tier Guild J200 knockoff way more than I play my Taylor dreadnought.  The Taylor is probably a "better" guitar, but that maple/spruce big body just works.

Interestingly enough, a spruce-topped, walnut-bodied, USA-made 1992 Guild D-30 showed up sorta locally today.  Dreadnought, though.  May have to see if I can check it out next week.

377F8413-381C-4AD8-B6DD-F48A8E7CDA26.jpeg

A985A71C-49A5-45CD-A5AD-40796E4CAF3D.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me:  

1. ring finger

2. oh so fake

Ring finger all the way.

I actually use two different vibratos, the classic and also Paul Kossoff style of inline vibrato, pull the string directly up and down the fretboard, which has its own sound.