The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

In all seriousness, I have it on reasonable authority that the Lauten LA220 is a pretty credible knockoff of a Neumann U87 FET.  Could be good for both voice and guitar.  I plan on buying one soon, it's only 2 bills plus a bit.  How much could I lose?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In all seriousness, I have it on reasonable authority that the Lauten LA220 is a pretty credible knockoff of a Neumann U87 FET.  Could be good for both voice and guitar.  I plan on buying one soon, it's only 2 bills plus a bit.  How much could I lose?

Let me know how it works out for you.

Saw Cousin It last night, aka Billy Strings

0450f4469a146691b4dfbef6e88a0cbe.jpg

Holy fucking shit. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do what this guy does on a guitar before.

Do yourself a favor and go see this force of nature when you get a chance. But be warned, you might never call yourself a guitar player again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Saw Cousin It last night, aka Billy Strings

0450f4469a146691b4dfbef6e88a0cbe.jpg

Holy fucking shit. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do what this guy does on a guitar before.

Do yourself a favor and go see this force of nature when you get a chance. But be warned, you might never call yourself a guitar player again.
I've got tickets to see him in September, still bummed that I had to miss the show I tickets to a couple years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Please post after you see him. Interested to see if you come away as impressed as I was.

I mean I knew the guy was good. But in my mind what he threw down last night was from some other place I’ve never been to or seen before.

• Like 1

Yes and it was nothing like any of the videos I’ve seen. Really more of a jam band meets bluegrass thing. The jams between songs were seamless and just incredibly inventive and creative. And the shit he does on a guitar is like noting I’ve ever seen. But the best part is none of it seems showy in the least, it’s just all fits perfectly musically.

And of course that band with him, tighter than tight. The dude on the banjo is the Eddie Van Halen of the banjo.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I have fucked around and am about to find out on this one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

My guitar teacher had an 80s Strat Schecter and talked it up a lot. 

That guitar, in several ways, looks indistinguishable from a PRS, which might get you in some trouble in these here parts (not from me since I own one even if I don't love the headstock).  Who's the guitar for?  Purple tiger stripe isn't for everyone.  You going to play it before you buy?

Edited by dcbc

My guitar teacher had an 80s Strat Schecter and talked it up a lot. 

That guitar, in several ways, looks indistinguishable from a PRS, which might get you in some trouble in these here parts (not from me since I own one even if I don't love the headstock).  Who's the guitar for?  Purple tiger stripe isn't for everyone.  You going to play it before you buy?

I can’t play much because I have Dupetrins and my hand is fucked, but I will test it for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I can never stop focusing on the seam in a bookmatched flame maple top.  It triggers me.  I think it's why I prefer slab bodies like a swamp ash Tele, etc.  Not that a natural wood Les Paul can't be gorgeous, of course it can, but when it's extreme I just ending up obsessing over the mismatch.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
I can never stop focusing on the seam in a bookmatched flame maple top.  It triggers me.  I think it's why I prefer slab bodies like a swamp ash Tele, etc.  Not that a natural wood Les Paul can't be gorgeous, of course it can, but when it's extreme I just ending up obsessing over the mismatch.

Mine isn't booked. There's a bit of flame on one side if you look at it at the right angle. The other side is sort of vertical.  You can see the seam, but I dig it. The different patterns look "old" to me.  I have a similar OCD about book matched flame tops.

When you look at it straight on, it looks pretty plain in the grain9ef6f848990e4c85fe65830a27fab38a.jpg

Edited by dcbc

Looking for some advice. I've had this guitar sitting around and wondering if it's beyond repair or not. 

20230527_125401.thumb.jpg.1c4cd04a12641eab600ad9bb73418494.jpg20230527_125357.thumb.jpg.073c0febd69100383a7467215069d0be.jpg20230527_125351.thumb.jpg.d8f28b0a89ba58c9b758fa6037c0d640.jpg20230527_125344.thumb.jpg.8eb879a35a0b2ff5b61cbdc3da0f1556.jpg

It would certainly cost more to pay someone to repair it than the guitar is worth (maybe $300) but I'm wondering if I should just toss it or it's something that a hobbyist might want to try and fix. 

The fretboard and body are intact so I'd hate to just throw it in a dumpster but cest la vie I guess. 

I really liked it before the, um, headstock snapped off. 

Just now, G650 said:

It can be fixed, but it's a question of economics really.

Yeah I mean my main question is would a tinkerer - maybe someone wanting to practice repair on a less expensive guitar - want it for free or $20 or whatever. 

I suppose I could try and fix it myself. That would likely result in me breaking it out of anger anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Looking for some advice. I've had this guitar sitting around and wondering if it's beyond repair or not. 

20230527_125401.thumb.jpg.1c4cd04a12641eab600ad9bb73418494.jpg20230527_125357.thumb.jpg.073c0febd69100383a7467215069d0be.jpg20230527_125351.thumb.jpg.d8f28b0a89ba58c9b758fa6037c0d640.jpg20230527_125344.thumb.jpg.8eb879a35a0b2ff5b61cbdc3da0f1556.jpg

It would certainly cost more to pay someone to repair it than the guitar is worth (maybe $300) but I'm wondering if I should just toss it or it's something that a hobbyist might want to try and fix. 

The fretboard and body are intact so I'd hate to just throw it in a dumpster but cest la vie I guess. 

I really liked it before the, um, headstock snapped off. 

Well, my first guitar fell flat on the floor while I was likely a bit inebriated, and broke at the neck like that, a couple inches further south. .  A Bakersfield guy glued it back together, and it worked fine, to me.  Subsequently got lost by an airline, so, that one was doomed from the start.