The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yep. Just need a hanger that is nitrocellulose friendly.

I wouldn’t trust any “nitro safe” hangers with foam to actually be nitro safe. Most drugstores have 100% cotton gloves for people with contact allergies. They are about $5. Buy a pair, cut the fingers off and slide them on the hanger posts. Nitro safe.

Edited by topochico
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 4:43 PM, topochico said:

I wouldn’t trust any “nitro safe” hangers with foam to actually be nitro safe. Most drugstores have 100% cotton gloves for people with contact allergies. They are about $5. Buy a pair, cut the fingers off and slide them on the hanger posts. Nitro safe.

Was planning on using something natural like hemp to do a weave around the hangers to protect the finish, but not sure if all-natural == nitro safe.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Serious lack of NGD's around here.

My bad. I faded on the Gretsch. After looking at as many reviews and videos as I could, indecision started getting the best of me...or perhaps the wiser. I'm just not sure I would be happy with the pickups in that model, and swapping those is expensive and a pain in the ass, plus the cost of a case. Maybe next time, slightly different model or slightly less self-control.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

I’ll rep your weakness as part of the the worlds least effective gear addicts support group.

Now I see that Gretsch Filtertrons are also on sale at musiciansfriend, and I could get a case for almost free with my cashback points.

If my car insurance bill wasn't up it might have already been on its way.

7 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Link?

Seriously, I looked for it.

There is a price drop, and then you apply the Labor Day coupon code to get another 10-15% off.  I believe today is the last day of the Labor Day code.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gretsch-filtertron-humbucker-electric-guitar-pickup?rNtt=gretsch filtertron&index=1

• Like 1

@deej figured you might be interested in this relayed from Sweetwater regarding these String Swing hangers...

Our material will not eat into the nitro of your guitar like most foams and rubbers do. Fender, Gibson, and Martin, all use our products in their showrooms, and for trade shows on their standard and high nitro finished guitars.   However, there are some things that are out of our control that prevent us from putting an unconditional guarantee that no marking will ever occur.

1.  If an issue does arise there is no definite way for us to tell if the marks were caused by our products or if they were from a previously used product from another manufacturer.  
2.  If you have used a guitar polish, be sure it is wiped off  before you use our products.  There is 
conflicting information on the internet as to whether polish is ever necessary or not.   Also, along these same lines, do not use any chemical cleaners on our padding material.  Water is fine if needed.
3.  Guitars being stored in direct any sunlight can be a big problem, regardless of what material is being used in resting the guitar.
4.  Nitro finish remains partially a liquid for its lifetime, so extended periods of time with any significant pressure on the finish can result in pressure marks almost like a smear.  This is worsened if the guitar was not given proper cure time when the finished was applied.

All of this being said we still have the safest material on the market for a nitro finished guitar and thousand of people trust hanging them everyday.
Also, If you have a nitro white Gibson, or Epiphone we have white yokes that we recommend for these extremely color sensitive finishes.  " 

GtrKeeperSSBW-xlarge.jpg

Here's a note that may affect our online guitar purchases. I got an email from newegg.com, not guitar related. But they are going to start charging state sales Tax for Texas purchases starting October 1, due to the recent federal law that was passed last year. I imagine it's going to apply to all or most online retailers, but I don't know for sure if it will kick in for everybody at once, or whether it depends on the state they are in or what. But it sucks.

Here's a note that may affect our online guitar purchases. I got an email from newegg.com, not guitar related. But they are going to start charging state sales Tax for Texas purchases starting October 1, due to the recent federal law that was passed last year. I imagine it's going to apply to all or most online retailers, but I don't know for sure if it will kick in for everybody at once, or whether it depends on the state they are in or what. But it sucks.

Welcome to the party pal.

I bet Sweetwater will work with you to come off the price a little to help with sales tax.

Lucky Horseshoe is you guys?  Cause Stormfucker is also a very good name.

*edit* I think you had mentioned pound puppies as your name, which is also good.  But you had a horseshoe over your door as well.  Is that the venue?

I’m intrigued by this

I definitely don’t need it, but it’s cool as hell, should be affordable (lists for $799 per Martin website).  I assume made in Mexico.  High pressure laminate top/back/sides and lots of richlite.  Curious how it sounds and what the actual price is on the wall.

Edited by Celery Man

Lucky Horseshoe is the Venue.

Storm Fucker is my friends's band. It's their gig and they invited us to play 2nd.

We are Vary Mary - it's a play on the fact that I found all our band members at a local bar called St Mary's Pub; which sits in a building I now own along with the bar owner. Vary Mary = Various people from St Mary's with the homophone to Very Merry.

Pound Puppy is another band I have friends in.

We almost called the show "Circle of buds".

Lucky Horseshoe is you guys?  Cause Stormfucker is also a very good name.
*edit* I think you had mentioned pound puppies as your name, which is also good.  But you had a horseshoe over your door as well.  Is that the venue?

I’m intrigued by this
I definitely don’t need it, but it’s cool as hell, should be affordable (lists for $799 per Martin website).  I assume made in Mexico.  High pressure laminate top/back/sides and lots of richlite.  Curious how it sounds and what the actual price is on the wall.

I like the all black. Sweet water has an exclusive all black Hummingbird. Only 4gs

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2MHBEB0165--gibson-acoustic-hummingbird-sweetwater-exclusive-ebony