The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

When you say rough to the feel, so you mean you can feel the grain of the wood, or something else?  I dig the kinda porous finish on an sg, especially in that color.

Yeah, it's porous, but not splintery or anything. Porous for the poors.

9 hours ago, the idoit said:

I’m with Celery on that, DougO. That finish works on some guitars. Your SG is one of them. 

Great get, man. And that color is perfect. 

I like it a lot. The only negative is I still play like shit on it.

I want to buy a good soldering iron so I can experiment with installing different pickups in some of my cheapo Squiers and stuff. Any recommendations? I know it's important to dial in just the right amount of heat, and the standard low wattage cheap ones have been difficult to work with in the past, or I just suck at soldering. Gas or adjustable electric?

Also should be not too terribly rich for the poors.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I want to buy a good soldering iron so I can experiment with installing different pickups in some of my cheapo Squiers and stuff. Any recommendations? I know it's important to dial in just the right amount of heat, and the standard low wattage cheap ones have been difficult to work with in the past, or I just suck at soldering. Gas or adjustable electric?

Also should be not too terribly rich for the poors.

The old school ones are the best (as it is), but honesty just about anything will get the job done. Just watch a few YouTube videos to understand the technique. 

I did a few pickup install years ago in high school. If I could do it then, anyone can do it. 

Some Tom Holmes Cadillac pron. I posted about this on Shaggy, but why not post again. 

So Bo Diddley had three guitars (The Trilogy) that were totally unique to him:

The Gretsch "rectangle" or "cigar box," which became the G6138.

bo-diddley-1959.jpg

The Gretsch Jupiter Thunderbird, one of which he gave to Billy Gibbons. That became the Gretsch Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird G6199.

Billy_and_Bo_Billybo_Gretsch_Bo_diddly_G

And the most elusive of them all: the "Cadillac." 

bodiddley-caddy-1.jpg

According to the best info available, these were all made by a former Gretsch builder but weren't official Gretsch instruments. Gretsch parts were on hand, so that's why the necks and hardware are all Gretsch. Eventually Gretsch started making first two models for Diddley and only recently for the masses. The only other person to build more Cadillacs was Tom Holmes, who I actually had a 30 minute conversation with one Sunday morning. He built some prototypes, one for Bo, one for Billy, and some others from about 1979-1981. For a little while Tom licensed a Japanese company to make them but the partnership didn't last long. If you want a new one these days, you have to use Ed Roman's outfit in Las Vegas. I asked Tom what he'd charge for a build but he's so busy making pickups, he doesn't build guitars at all much these days.

Without further ado...

The first Billy Gibbons Cadillac

thg_bfg1_350.jpg

Another one of Tom's prototypes (THC stands for Tom Holmes Custom I think)

thg-cadillac-600.jpg

1979 THC Cadillac Flash I

h4_0.jpg

Cadillac Flash II

h8-1.jpg

h9-1.jpg

1982 THC

tom-holmes-cadillac-proto-80s-cons-full-

Billy Gibbon's THC

hqdefault.jpg

Bo's THC Cadillac

e8b00d0e4b16a21190a8a3d0cfc5d7af.jpg

MIJ "Ghostbuilt" Tom Holmes Cadillacs

350_557292_sub_1_l_201712291250.jpg

g-4.jpg

THC_tomholmesguitar_08-thumb-450x187-300

71Miq7yGSZL._SL1500_.jpg

3e4b9b5851383b12eb5ef15a4f289579d64a71.j

See the Cadillac in action here:

• Like 4

Was just about to chime in and say that - American Professional = American Standard.  My '98 American Standard is 20 years old now (damn) and is every bit as incredible of a guitar as it ever was.  Everyone should have one.

4018_F921_A9_FB_4_DC1_834_F_2_A10_DEB0_F

(i figure we're on a new site, we can just post images of guitars we've posted before :) )

And yeah, that bass.... 2007ish reissue Fender 51 P-Bass (MIM), and I just looked it up and they've been discontinued for a while now??  That's a great bass.  Listen to a Police album if you're curious how it sounds.  Not always practical since it hums like a mf when pointed towards a neon sign, but it's a great sound.

6207_EC2_E_C86_D_47_D7_BDB6_2_DAA0_D0_E2

• Like 2

I also saw on Reddit that Fender will be doing something similar with the MIM models. 

There will be no more “Standard”, and they will become “Player Series” models. 

So, “Professional (American)” and “Player (MIM)” series. 

Edited by Anton Chigurh

I imagine economics playing that. An SG Standard is a hell of a lot more accessible than most Les Pauls. If you don't want to pay for the bells and whistles of a Standard, the stripped down SG''s still pack a punch. Look at Dougo. Hell, look at me, my 1st new Gibson electric was an SG.

So I bought my first guitar from a garage sale.  Got a Squire Stratocaster and a small Peavey amp for $35.  I'm having fun going back to 15 and taking that month of guitar lessons.  

I played violin from 2nd grade through 9th and had tough fingers.  I recently picked it up again since one of my daughters started playing and I have no problems in my violin but this Squire is killing my second finger and the 2nd string seems to be spaced too tight between 1 and 3 to play cleanly.

Maybe I just need more practice or maybe I need to learn some chords the hard way and once I'm committed to this I get an upgrade that is a little more playable.

Regardless I learned from my 4 year old son that the Strat is the body style he likes best in guitars.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

right thread, but the pics aren't showing up

I was afraid posting my $35 combo in the guitar pron thread would be like a Vic Chola in  supermodel thread.  Oh and it is dark green.

Edit:  Found the exact guitar on craiglist for $150 and no amp.  Seller says it is a 2000 limited edition green and skunk neck.  https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/squire-strat-affinity-series/6561316894.html

Edit 2:  Amp is a Peavey Audition 20.  Made in USA. Best I can tell it is about 30 years old.

20180428_182503_zps3xostgfq.jpg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 6

That’s a damn good deal. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen that color. 

It might be worth taking to a local shop and having it restrung and set up properly. Those Squiers are good little guitars and should be able to be set up to be good players unless the neck needs major work. I had a SSH Squier for awhile that played and sounded great. 

Found this Strat on Facebook Marketplace - a 2011 American Strat for $725. The seller says he wants to sell because deep down he's a Tele guy.

I'm debating whether to offer him a straight-up trade. His Strat for my 1983 all-black Tele. I want need a guitar with a whammy bar, and black-on-black is my preferred color (think David Gilmour)

I've had my Tele for 20 years. Despite some dings on the body and 2 strings that I can't seem to properly intonate, it has been the one constant in my guitar repertoire. I've bought and sold several other guitars over the years, but the '83 has been the one I can't seem to let go. Over the years, I've put in new pickups, pots, a 4-way switch, new knobs. It's sounds great, but it just doesn't have a whammy.

I figured my recently purchased Edwards LP can do the work of my Tele. What say you guys?

30411954_10215988253369139_7463676523539

in exchange for this...

31394179_10160440890675438_3759722209266

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

All kidding aside, as soon as you get rid of that Tele you will regret it.  I can tell by the way you write about it you have some emotional investment in that guitar.

Absolutely this. Also, you upgraded it. You’re past the point of no return now.