The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I figured out part of the problem with my guitar.  The B and G strings were riding the top of the nut instead of being properly seated.  This made me have to push harder to get the notes on the lower frets. I need to get it set up.  Strait music said they send it to their South store.  Might check with a neighbor first.

Should I replace strings?  Probably original and the guitar is 18 years old.

I was wondering if it was something like that - I could see what you were talking about in your picture where the strings weren't even.  Yeah, fresh strings are a no brainer, and the woman at Strait on Lamar as fast and good.  At setting up guitars.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Anybody need a 68 vibrolux reverb?

Actually, I do. I have a 68 Princeton Reverb, a 68 Deluxe Reverb, and a 68 Super Reverb. Ive been wanting get a 68 Vibrolux Reverb and a 68 Champ to round out the collection. Them I can sale my 79 Vibrolux Reverb. 

On 5/1/2018 at 2:45 PM, Superhero said:

Found this Strat on Facebook Marketplace - a 2011 American Strat for $725. The seller says he wants to sell because deep down he's a Tele guy.

I'm debating whether to offer him a straight-up trade. His Strat for my 1983 all-black Tele. I want need a guitar with a whammy bar, and black-on-black is my preferred color (think David Gilmour)

I've had my Tele for 20 years. Despite some dings on the body and 2 strings that I can't seem to properly intonate, it has been the one constant in my guitar repertoire. I've bought and sold several other guitars over the years, but the '83 has been the one I can't seem to let go. Over the years, I've put in new pickups, pots, a 4-way switch, new knobs. It's sounds great, but it just doesn't have a whammy.

I figured my recently purchased Edwards LP can do the work of my Tele. What say you guys?

30411954_10215988253369139_7463676523539

in exchange for this...

31394179_10160440890675438_3759722209266

Before you trade that Tele or sell it...and if you really think you have to get rid of the Tele for the Strat, I will buy the Tele from you.  You name the price...then in a year, when you start regretting it, I will sell it back to you for what you sell it to me for.  I'm completely honest about that.  You have too much time and love invested in that gorgeous Tele.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Buy it. I have $1400 in it I think. 

Not to be too specific, but this would not be a need based purchase, in fact it would go directly into storage for the foreseeable future. This would be to round out a very specific collection.

Does it have the aluminum edge and the black lines on the faceplate like the below image?

Fender switched to Silver-face in the middle of 1967. They had the aluminum trim around the grill until roughly 1969 depending on model, the aluminum is actually a pain in the ass because it often rattles - and I often remove the baffle and put tape all around the aluminum because it drives me nuts.

The black lines appeared from the debut of the Silveface, but were discontinued through the spring and summer of 1968 depending on the model.

The actual Blackface circuit remained in all models through 67, and was changed to the Silverface circuit mostly from spring of 1968 on, though some models like the Champ never changed. It seems like they changed it int he more popular, professional models 1st. The earliest Silverface circuit I've personally seen was Foggy's Twin Reverb from mid-68; and that one had already been converted to Blackface with a Solid State Rectifier, we I converted the rectifier back to tube.

All that aside, my collection is all amps from the 1st quarter of 1968, they were all made within a few weeks of one another. They all have the aluminum and the black lines. They all came out of the Austin area too, most were picked up and shipped to me by Foggy. We have a working theory that Ray Hennig placed a huge order when the Silverface 1st came out and subsequently sold a fuck-ton of them.

So, if I'm going to add another to the collection, I'd want it to match the rest.

KmTd9TzJ_o.jpg

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I was wondering if it was something like that - I could see what you were talking about in your picture where the strings weren't even.  Yeah, fresh strings are a no brainer, and the woman at Strait on Lamar as fast and good.  At setting up guitars.

goddamn.  just took a guitar over there to get set up (my g&l, thinking maybe I'm blaming the tuners a tad too much and I don't have it intonated quite right yet).  I guess they have someone different (a guy) doing setups and he's booked out for 3 weeks.  Any recs on a good place in South Austin?  I need to take one of my Gretsch's over to straight frets to have it worked on, but not sure if that wouldn't be overkill for a basic setup.  And not sure if I trust GC.  Maybe I'll just delve deeper into doing it well myself.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, Chad Fuck said:

All kidding aside, as soon as you get rid of that Tele you will regret it.  I can tell by the way you write about it you have some emotional investment in that guitar.

You're right. I've spent way too much time on the Tele making it mine. I spent several hours yesterday looking for intonation screws, and possibly new saddles for the guitar just so I can fix the intonation issues.

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Before you trade that Tele or sell it...and if you really think you have to get rid of the Tele for the Strat, I will buy the Tele from you.  You name the price...then in a year, when you start regretting it, I will sell it back to you for what you sell it to me for.  I'm completely honest about that.  You have too much time and love invested in that gorgeous Tele.   

Thanks for the offer, but the gods intervened and the Strat is already sold.

I didn't have a way of making the trade anyway (I'm not allowed to drive because of a grand mal seizure last month and my driving privileges have suspended for 3 months... but that's a different story). I thought if the Strat is still available by the time I'm allowed to drive, I'd just buy the damn thing and not buy any more toys for the rest of the year (yeah right).

The black Strat was a beauty and the price was right. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for another one

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

goddamn.  just took a guitar over there to get set up (my g&l, thinking maybe I'm blaming the tuners a tad too much and I don't have it intonated quite right yet).  I guess they have someone different (a guy) doing setups and he's booked out for 3 weeks.  Any recs on a good place in South Austin?  I need to take one of my Gretsch's over to straight frets to have it worked on, but not sure if that wouldn't be overkill for a basic setup.  And not sure if I trust GC.  Maybe I'll just delve deeper into doing it well myself.

Go back to Strait.  Walk in.  Turn to the left and go upstairs.  Ignore the signs saying you have to be accompanied.  Or if you feel better about it, tell the guy up front you want to see Lauren.  Once you make it upstairs turn to the left and  first door on right is where Lauren is.  She will take your guitar there. She and Jess work there exclusively.  She has never taken more than a week for a set up even when she was doing emergency work during SXSW. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Get a Tele with a 3-saddle bridge. You'll learn to live with intonation issues.

I was close to getting the Deluxe Ash they keep putting on sale, but that was the deal-killer. I already play out of tune enough without the guitar helping me play it out of tune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougO said:

I was close to getting the Deluxe Ash they keep putting on sale, but that was the deal-killer. I already play out of tune enough without the guitar helping me play it out of tune.

Compensated saddles. It fixed the issue on mine.

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Sorry for the shitty playing and iPhone video but this is the Washburn my brother bought me in 8th grade 

https://youtu.be/T2iNMHRYNG4

Nothing shitty about that. 

Pro tip: if you want to record using your iPhone download GarageBand. It’s $5 and makes even the iPhone mic sound good, plus you can add some percussion and bass if you like. Then make SoundCloud account and upload straight to Soundcloud. 

It’s not as complicated as it sounds.