The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 minute ago, noharleyyet said:

..and shirt buttons.

Yeah, this is one I was contemplating the other day.  I need some good looking western shirts with felt buttons so I can do my acoustic gigs without takkity-takk-taking the back of my guitar.

The fecebook page for the Dallas guitar show puts up a lot of live video from the show that is archived for later viewing, including some segments with musical performances. I watched quite a bit of it last year. Pretty cool stuff.

59 minutes ago, DougO said:

The fecebook page for the Dallas guitar show puts up a lot of live video from the show that is archived for later viewing, including some segments with musical performances. I watched quite a bit of it last year. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm hoping to catch Redd Volkeart and Ian Moore tomorrow.

A little neck adjustment, new strings, and some intonation, and we’re in business!

I’m trying a tip I read from Jerry Donahue here that may help with intonation. If not, I’ll eventually throw some compensated saddles on.

Kind of embarrassing, but I also realized that I never knew how locking tuners actually worked until I had some.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, DougO said:

Several minutes of Eric Johnson live posted on there now.

https://www.facebook.com/dallasguitarfestival/?hc_ref=ARRa16qFVkxCKfMujQh8xNX-1vTIIV4nsYstbhO8YZQ3LOrecp-8NxWJqHYUq3sdXEE

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I went today for a couple of hours. I watched Redd Volkeart, and he is a genuine badass. Highlight was speaking to Greg Koch in person about the Fishman Fluence pickups that he endorses. I also had the opportunity to tell Pete Anderson that I really admire his work and in fact I wish I could be him or at least carry his guitars or something.

Otherwise I was sort of let down, and it's probably my own fault. It's kind of like going to the titty bar and then realizing that I won't actually be getting to play with the titties- I realized that I wasn't going to be buying a $10,000 guitar, and unlike last year there wasn't much in the way of sub-$1k stuff that interested me. 

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of cool people just walking around. Got to talk to Johnny Hiland, Norm Harris (he actually came up to me as I was wearing a Norman's Rare Guitars shirt, which I picked up at his store a few months ago. It already has a hole, should have inquired as to warranty), and this this super chill dude:

PSX_20180506_005853.jpg?dl=0

And if anyone is looking for the Fender John Cruz Custom Shop Number One, there's one here:

20180505_164242.jpg?dl=0

Geez...

My search for an R9 continues...

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 3

Ist is a Classic Series Esquire with a SD Broadcaster pup replacing the stock, and compensated brass saddles replacing the stock steel ones. Thinking about swapping the SD for a Cavalier Huge Lion. 2nd is a Baja Tele, stock. 3rd is a Triple Tele with three Nocaster bridge pickups. Odd bird, but a nice guitar.

Edited by Deej

Ist is a Classic Series Esquire with a SD Broadcaster pup replacing the stock, and compensated brass saddles replacing the stock steel ones. Thinking about swapping the SD for a Cavalier Huge Lion. 2nd is a Baja Tele, stock. 3rd is a Triple Tele with three Nocaster bridge pickups. Odd bird, but a nice guitar.

All that maple tho!

How’s the Baja? I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the ‘60s versions in an open box that was a nice price (faded Sonic Blue/Pau Ferro), but obviously didn’t. The ‘50s ones have a V shaped neck don’t they?

They say it a v, but it's really a big, chunky u shape, in reality. Best neck Fender puts on a Tele, IMO. I don't have huge hands (insert joke here), and it's really comfortable. Plays very easily. I wish I had bought a 60's, too, before the switch from rosewood. Really like the Twisted Tele pup in the neck. A bit strat-like. Love the 4-way switching. I think all. Teles should have one.

The 50s Baja is just a great Tele. 

(Edit: I meant to say the neck is a chunky C shape, not U.)

Edited by Deej

My dad allegedly met BB King's bass player recently, a guy from the breakout period in the 60s and early 70s, if he's actually the right guy and it isn't bullshit. He's gotta be like 90. So I'm thinking maybe I could hang with him for a few bars.  Maybe I should put out a feeler for a new blues project.

Edited by DougO

video of a buddy of mine, walter watson, who is playing drums and vocals with dallas guitar legend rocky atlas, who is also known as the Texas Tornado and the Malice from Dallas.  its some badass blues and you can watch rocky do his thing. he was the lead guitarist with John Mayalls bluesbreakers...

Edited by Mileslong
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

video of a buddy of mine, walter watson, who is playing drums and vocals with dallas guitar legend rocky atlas, who is also known as the Texas Tornado and the Malice from Dallas.  its some badass blues and you can watch rocky do his thing. he was the lead guitarist with John Mayalls bluesbreakers...

Tasty...

Is it wrong for me to be ever so slightly annoyed by the completely blank black truss rod cover of my SG faded cherry? I'm wondering what a tortoise shell cover would look like on here...or something.

Finally made a neck adjustment. It had some definite bow. Quite a difference, though it played good before. Really nice now.

40 minutes ago, DougO said:

Is it wrong for me to be ever so slightly annoyed by the completely blank black truss rod cover of my SG faded cherry? I'm wondering what a tortoise shell cover would look like on here...or something.

Finally made a neck adjustment. It had some definite bow. Quite a difference, though it played good before. Really nice now.

You can buy a replacement that says Gibson, SG, whatever. Gibson sells them. Try Angela Instruments, or any parts supplier. They're cheap enough.

42 minutes ago, DougO said:

I had a similar gripe about the truss rod cover on my Epiphone acoustic-electric (it is nothing special in the greater guitar world, but to me it is); I flipped it over and saw it was still blank, but white, and that made for a really cool contrast on the all-black headstock, and it's been that way ever since.

• Like 1

If you’d have got this one you wouldn’t have to worry about it.

https://reverb.com/item/11583614-video-1993-gibson-headless-sg-standard-red

b2a80e11ce929ff982e6d69f51be0641.jpg

3 hours ago, Tall Dark And Texan said:

I had a similar gripe about the truss rod cover on my Epiphone acoustic-electric (it is nothing special in the greater guitar world, but to me it is); I flipped it over and saw it was still blank, but white, and that made for a really cool contrast on the all-black headstock, and it's been that way ever since.

I didn't even look at the back of mine. I kept one screw in when I adjusted it and just flipped it up.

I could have used the one from my Epiphone that has "SG" on it, but it has three screws instead of two.

Maybe I'll make one out of wood. My dad has some nice walnut and maple pieces stashed way somewhere.