The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I like having my calendar blocked by a bunch of meetings that I don't really need on Fridays.  I can go home and take them remote on mute and play guitar.  Watched through Parks and Rec again recently and have had April Come She Will in my head so I decided to figure out the chords.  Tough to resist the temptation to turn it into country folk.

It hasn’t happened yet, but the day is going to come that I forgot to mute the phone while playing guitar during a conference call.

Go with God.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

SIAP, but I always thought Steve Miller might have been an asshole, but judging by this story, sounds like a good guy.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/young-musician-growing-up-with-steve-miller/

Damn, that was a great article. Thanks for posting. Steve Miller really does seem like a good dude.

15 hours ago, Deej said:
17 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

What choice do you have? Only 19 left. You can bet if they only had 19 pairs left of whatever shoes your wife wanted, she wouldn't consult you.

I gotta give props to my wife she actually would call me. Also it wouldn’t have to by $900 either she’d call me over something for $90 lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great article.  Thanks.

I've always enjoyed Steve's music.  I never understood the backlash.  It's well-written, well-performed, and hooky as hell.  The guy has a ton of talent.

I always thought his music was catchy and very listenable. It's always been good music for hanging out on the water, drinking beer in the summer.

I'd heard claims he was just a musical parrot, aping others' licks. He caught flack for being a curmudgeon about the R&R HofF, etc., and as the article stated, he's been pretty faceless throughout his career, so it was hard to get a read. He's played with some great names, and I had no idea his mentor was Les Paul. I have a better appreciation, now.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

SIAP, but I always thought Steve Miller might have been an asshole, but judging by this story, sounds like a good guy.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/young-musician-growing-up-with-steve-miller/

He may be, at least in private with his own people. Fame and celebrity don't agree with everyone.

Edited by DougO

The G&L ASAT ash/tortoise is on the stupid deal right now for $299. I could have sworn it was something different when I checked this morning, or maybe I forgot to check and I'm thinking about yesterday. Ahyway, about 9 hours left on the deal.

I still have the similar combo in the back of my mind,  the Fender American model that's still available at a nearby music store. I saw it again today.  Just not ready to part with the cash right now. If it's still there in a few weeks it will be tough to pass up.

So I am getting to where I want a better guitar.  The Squier I bought has intonation issues.  It could probably be fixed by a proper set up; I know the truss rod needs adjustment, some frets could use some love, and other issues.  But it does bother me when it starts getting out of tune a few frets down the neck.  There is also the idea of paying more for a setup then I paid for the guitar.

I have not handled or played many other guitars and frankly the endless variety is overwhelming.  I want to set a hard ceiling at $500 and be closer to $400.  Between Craigslist, Facebook, and pawn shops I like a Schecter S1 Elite with dual humbuckers, a Gibson SC Special, and recently found a MIM Strat that looks like a Deluxe Roadhouse with hard case that comes in high but it couldn't hurt to make a low offer.

Since I'm still learning I don't want to get taken and want to get something that I can get most of my money out of if I don't like it, quit, or want to upgrade in a year.

Thoughts?

A Squire like that seems like a good starter to learn how to do your own setup and save money on future guitars as well as fixing this one and making it a nice player. Set the neck relief right and that will make the rest easier. There are a lot of forums out there that show you how to do it and it's really not that tough to get at least good enough to get it pretty dang close before you need to seek a professional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

This will be my 3rd Guitar from Sweetwater but I’m pulling the trigger on that Hendrix strat tomorrow. Any where else I should get pricing from? They quoted me $915.00 with a fender tweed case 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HendrixMNTRY--fender-jimi-hendrix-monterey-stratocaster

I checked Musiciansfriend to see what their price was, and like others it is $899, but the description says it comes in a gig back. So if you're getting the tweed case at that price I'd say that's pretty sweet.

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I checked Musiciansfriend to see what their price was, and like others it is $899, but the description says it comes in a gig back. So if you're getting the tweed case at that price I'd say that's pretty sweet.

it comes with a gig bag but I wanted a nice tweed fender case.  ill keep the gig bag tho

11 hours ago, TexasEd said:

So I am getting to where I want a better guitar.  The Squier I bought has intonation issues.  It could probably be fixed by a proper set up; I know the truss rod needs adjustment, some frets could use some love, and other issues.  But it does bother me when it starts getting out of tune a few frets down the neck.  There is also the idea of paying more for a setup then I paid for the guitar.

I have not handled or played many other guitars and frankly the endless variety is overwhelming.  I want to set a hard ceiling at $500 and be closer to $400.  Between Craigslist, Facebook, and pawn shops I like a Schecter S1 Elite with dual humbuckers, a Gibson SC Special, and recently found a MIM Strat that looks like a Deluxe Roadhouse with hard case that comes in high but it couldn't hurt to make a low offer.

Those are fairly disparate guitars.  What type of music are you likely to play?

15 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

This will be my 3rd Guitar from Sweetwater but I’m pulling the trigger on that Hendrix strat tomorrow. Any where else I should get pricing from? They quoted me $915.00 with a fender tweed case 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HendrixMNTRY--fender-jimi-hendrix-monterey-stratocaster

Sweet! Next order up a set of these for it:

Buddy’s NGD:

4af9ffa2b0e06f61f83c1449d211548f.jpg

It was a gift from a friend he helped out.
What's the story on this? I've seen a lot of Gretsches but never one like that. The headstock inlay, the fret markers, the tone knob, the pickguard, the funky upper bout - hell, even the bridge looks different. Interesting guitar.

8 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

my local guitar center does them. I worked there back in the day and its the same guy doing them since I was there in the early 2000's

Hold out for a free can of lighter fluid for Monterey re-enactments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those are fairly disparate guitars.  What type of music are you likely to play?

So I went and played and listed to a better player on the SG, and two MIM Strats, one HSS and the other all singe.  I decided I like the Strat single Bridge pickup sound the best. 

So I've narrowed down to Stratocaster or strat type guitars.

They wanted $75 for a setup, I'll shop around some more.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Personally I think a $50 set up on any guitar is worth every penny.

Wish there were $50 setups where I live. Cheapest i found is $125.

I spent a LOT of time tweaking the intonation and string height on my Tele, to the point I’m 99% happy. But I can’t seem to adjust the truss rod. The truss rod hole on the headstock is too small for a 3/16” allen wrench.

I haven’t taken the pick guard since I replaced the pickups. But I seem to recall there was a Philips screw nut at the base. I don’t know much about Fender necks, but I thought only the 50s necks had their truss rod adjustment at the base.

If there’s a hole as the headstock, it’s adjustable there.

I had kind of a hard time getting the right size when I adjusted mine the first time. It’s smaller than you think (TWSS). I need to do a readjust on mine too, though. I have a little Fret buzz and the action could be lower. I will probably wait and get comped saddles though. The G string drives me a little crazy.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If there’s a hole as the headstock, it’s adjustable there.

I had kind of a hard time getting the right size when I adjusted mine the first time. It’s smaller than you think (TWSS). I need to do a readjust on mine too, though. I have a little Fret buzz and the action could be lower. I will probably wait and get comped saddles though. The G string drives me a little crazy.

All the Fender literature I read said the proper size is 3/16”. It’s still a bit big for for the hole but the 1/8” doesn’t seem to catch anything either...

All the Fender literature I read said the proper size is 3/16”. It’s still a bit big for for the hole but the 1/8” doesn’t seem to catch anything either...

An American model should be 1/8”. There may be some junk in the screw cap hole. Try and shine a light down there.

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

So I went and played and listed to a better player on the SG, and two MIM Strats, one HSS and the other all singe.  I decided I like the Strat single Bridge pickup sound the best. 

So I've narrowed down to Stratocaster or strat type guitars.

They wanted $75 for a setup, I'll shop around some more.

PRS has just the guitar for you.