The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Single pickup guitars have always made me wonder why someone has not made a sliding position lock for the pickup.  Maybe because it would be hard to accomplish without allowing vibration that might negatively affect tone?  Or our brains are kind of married to traditional guitar aesthetics?  Maybe its just bad business considering they have us buying N guitars chasing the varied tones we want to hear?

It just seems like from a purely functional standpoint, I should be able to unlock the pickup, slide it wherever I want between the bridge and neck, lock it back down and start playing with a new tone.  Extra points if the pickup could be popped out and replaced with a different style pickup without changing strings like this guitar.

Westone tried it in the 80’s with a bass guitar.

5D83AB82-7CB7-4681-A745-D17A2FE098CE.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

2 tones, 2 volumes, and a 3 position selector switch are already too many options for me.

Yeah, but multiply that by a dozen guitars and it's a shit-ton of pickups, tone knobs, volume knobs and switches.

It would be an interesting guitar to gig with.  Instant changeover between songs.  A little difficult to switch within a song, I imagine, but possible if you work at it.  It's not like people switch guitars mid-song, but they do switch pickups/types.

I sort of get the demand for variable functionality.

But that said, how much do you really need? All I want for gigging is one good dirt sound, one good clean sound, and a volume knob. Any more and I just can’t keep track.

Maybe if you are a legit touring band with a bunch of different sounds on your album people expect you to recreate live your audience might care. But in a club or bar or whatever they dgaf about your pedal tap dance. They just want groove.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm w tbone. Maybe if you're in a cover band playing all types of songs w different sounds. Most bands like that I see, the guy uses a Line 6 multi-effect and it sounds good enough for the people there. Ive seen some sound pretty impressive actually.

Have seen that, especially on cruise ships or other things where gear is really limited.  Helix even has a decent enough acoustic sim for that setting.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Based on the guitar collections I see posted here all the time, the answer is "a whole bunch".

Im as guilty as anybody, but in reality i have 3 Gretsch's and Gibson that sound pretty much the same / same pickups and i have 2 Telecasters that sound extremely similar. Other than those, nothing but the Les Paul gets played often because that's the sound Im drawn to. The Les Paul only gets played because I love the neck and feel of it. I've ben tempted to pull out the Customer Buckers and putting Gretsch pickups in that one as well, but it feels sacrilege to do that to a custom shop guitar. Of the ones that do get played regularly, I love them pretty equally and for different reasons. The 6120 would be my favorite, but it's kinda tough to play past the 12th fret because the body is fat. The DuoJet is great up the neck, but can be neck heavy. The Flying V hits all those bases, but lacks a Bigsby. The Billy-Bo doesn't play as well as any of them, but it plays well enough and sure looks cool as hell. 

Even with my acoustics. My 000-28 gets played all the time. I cant figure out which dreadnaught to sell because neither of them sound like the 000-28. I think I just answered my own question there - sell both and find a dreadnaught that sounds like the -28. I only want to keep a dreadnaught because Ive been thinking of sitting in with a weekly bluegrass jam they have down the road weekly and all those guys have dreadnaughts. 

7 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Im as guilty as anybody,

I'm actually a piker compared to you guys.  I own one amp (besides a few tiny low-wattage pieces of crap that have accumulated over the years) and two electric guitars worth playing (one G&L Tribute ASAT Bluesboy semi-hollow Tele and a Warmoth Parts-strat).  The latter is a "better" guitar, but I play the G&L almost exclusively, as I can get some fuzzy grunt on the humbucker and some gnarly overdrive on the "Tele" bridge pickup.  That's enough for me.

• Like 1

Im actually a little jealous of that jj. I acquired most of these when i had a ton of space to store them securely. Now they mostly take up space in my small bedroom but i can't sell most for reasons outlined above, simply too difficult to choose what would go. I have identified a couple that I think I'm going to sell just to free up space.

Im slowly turning my big bedroom into basically a studio / small venue and thought about hanging them all along a wall. But I fear some friend of a friend type will be over, see them, then I become theft target. Better to keep them in the other room where I can just lock a door when people i don't know well are over. 

Has anyone had a guitar PLEK’ed? Thoughts on if it was worth the expense? 

I’ve never had one done on the machine.

But I do have a guy who painstakingly levels the fretboard and frets by hand. I think it’s similar to what a plek does, those I don’t know if the plek machine levels the fretboard true. Which he does.

He’s done my strat and tele and they are beyond fantastic. First one he did I told him I guess I’d never played a guitar that was set up correctly in 35 years because I didn’t know that level of playability was possible. Highly recommended.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I sort of get the demand for variable functionality.

But that said, how much do you really need? All I want for gigging is one good dirt sound, one good clean sound, and a volume knob. Any more and I just can’t keep track.

Maybe if you are a legit touring band with a bunch of different sounds on your album people expect you to recreate live your audience might care. But in a club or bar or whatever they dgaf about your pedal tap dance. They just want groove.

You edit this down and put it on a t-shirt, you'll be a millionaire.

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Single pickup guitars have always made me wonder why someone has not made a sliding position lock for the pickup.  Maybe because it would be hard to accomplish without allowing vibration that might negatively affect tone?  Or our brains are kind of married to traditional guitar aesthetics?  Maybe its just bad business considering they have us buying N guitars chasing the varied tones we want to hear?

It just seems like from a purely functional standpoint, I should be able to unlock the pickup, slide it wherever I want between the bridge and neck, lock it back down and start playing with a new tone.  Extra points if the pickup could be popped out and replaced with a different style pickup without changing strings like this guitar.

Good idea, but….If it changes the distance from the string to the pick up it would fuck with the intonation. How much is anyones guess…

49 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Rhett Shull has some good videos on the PLEK machine.

My 2019 Les Paul Standard supposedly came plek'd. Not that I'd notice if they didn't tell me. 

I've got a Epi LP that was set up and fret-leveled by Willie's luthier. Plays like butter after he fiddled with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Probably like most things in life. The machine can do a good job but it’s no match for a true craftsman.

I have a guy, but like most good ones, he is busy. I passed on the guitar, so no PLEK need after all. 

Edited by topochico

35 minutes ago, topochico said:

And an acoustic. 

Well, and a P-bass.

Also, maybe a Gretsch with FilterTrons and a Bigsby. 

I'm gonna claim ignorance here... Les Pauls have their distinctive sound and Teles have that twang. 

But I couldn't claim to know what Strat sounds like. To me, it's just... neutral. A lot of my favorite guitars play Strats - SRV, Gilmour, Knopfler, etc. but what makes a Strat sound unique if you are in the 1, 3 and 5 positions? Watching this video, I still thing the Strat is just... neutral.

8 hours ago, topochico said:

Has anyone had a guitar PLEK’ed? Thoughts on if it was worth the expense? 

My Les Paul Traditional came plek'd from the factory.  While I can't give you a before and after take, I can tell you that that has one smooth playing guitar since the moment I first took it out of the case.

• Hook 'Em 4

There's a pawn shop in very sketchy stretch of San Francisco where really awesome guitars somehow pop up from time to time. Its where I found my Explorer for $700 and where that walnut '69 es-335 that got away was.

Two temptations today.

Yesterday I was talking about selling some gear to free up space, today I'm seriously thinking about going back after this Dean.

20220127_145510.thumb.jpg.828416c6633cd0a5f1bed6e07e9eaa06.jpg20220127_145453.thumb.jpg.8fe9e50b9c518ebcfd765c16d79d7a4d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

There's a pawn shop in very sketchy stretch of San Francisco where really awesome guitars somehow pop up from time to time. Its where I found my Explorer for $700 and where that walnut '69 es-335 that got away was.

Two temptations today.

Yesterday I was talking about selling some gear to free up space, today I'm seriously thinking about going back after this Dean.

20220127_145510.thumb.jpg.828416c6633cd0a5f1bed6e07e9eaa06.jpg20220127_145453.thumb.jpg.8fe9e50b9c518ebcfd765c16d79d7a4d.jpg

What do they want for that bass?

I didnt ask, I was only there a moment because I had a bus coming. May go back tomorrow, I have a dentist appt nearby.

Inside they had a nice white Mexican Strat and a Black MIJ Charvel. I asked to look at both just see if the Jackson was a San Dimas and if the Strat was American.

My friend / bandmate bought a Dean V as his 1st "real" guitar last year. Its left handed so I have no idea how it plays, he loves it. He said he paid $900 used on Reverb. $550 they are asking for the one I saw today.

Screenshot_20220127-154158_Photos.jpg

Oh, hell yes.  Buy the Dean.  Triumph reincarnated.

Triumphrick.jpg
I always thought Triumph was a British Band for some reason. Likely cause of the motorcycles of the same name.

So I was a little embarrassed when somebody pointed out that they are Canadian when I was DJing a "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" set and included one of their records.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Ok back in 83 or so I was sophomore at Irving Nimitz HS (Michael Huff and Roderick Walker holla!) and was a big Triumph fan.

<snip>

That's the most beautiful story I've ever read.

I too went backstage at a Molly Hatchet show, and it was eye-popping.  One disagreement:  while "Flirting With Disaster" is a great song, this was their peak, their cover of "Dreams I'll Never See":

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@tbone_That’s an awesome story.  And you tell it well.

@AnotherUTFan I’m not a Dean guy so I might be wrong here. But the Dean at the pawn shop looks like the original pickups may have been replaced. Is that a Dimebucker in the bridge? If so, the pic above is timely and appropriate. 

Edited by Foggy Notion