The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Highly recommend my Larrivee OM 3. Zebra wood. I feel bad for all the Zebras that had to die to make it. I bought it because of how it sounded plugged in but it’s turned out to be the best acoustic I’ve ever played.

d9f0b70be74026aaa8f5399b8c764c56.jpg
11b57304c1e4152f884dc80e51eb01da.jpg

Very cool. Master picker Matt Thomas loves those. And they really source some interesting tone woods from what I have read. I would like to try one..

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking cut is pissing me off. It’s right on the top edge of the thumb. I constantly hit the strings with that edge behind the pick. If this superglue doesn’t work I’m going to bleed all over everything.

It’s also somewhat tricky to make sure the super glue gets on none of the other fingers.

Pitfa

Fucking cut is pissing me off. It’s right on the top edge of the thumb. I constantly hit the strings with that edge behind the pick. If this superglue doesn’t work I’m going to bleed all over everything.

It’s also somewhat tricky to make sure the super glue gets on none of the other fingers.

Pitfa
You can be super Rock and Roll like my friend Rocky at a show a couple years ago!

Speaking of Rock, he's the front man in Dirty Years. Im traveling back to SF today and learned yesterday that we are recording Sunday. Nobody tells me shit! I wonder whats gonna come out. We've never played a song the same twice and none of them have titles. Hell, I dont even know what most of them are about - I think it depends on the day, the room, and who's in the crowd. We're a cue band.

Screenshot_20220325-164819_Photos.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

That’s gonna be fun. I had a band in hs where we would get together, write songs, play them a couple times to work out the parts, then record them on the spot. Mostly parody songs and other ridiculous stuff. We did not take ourselves seriously at all.

It was a hell of a lot of fun and we came out with some surprisingly interesting stuff. We had a 90 min cassette filled both sides that became kind of an underground hit at our school. We probably sold 20 or 30 copies for $5 each. Made directly from the source tape on my Teac double cassette deck one at a time.

We did play a gig one time that ended up in a mass brawl with another band and our respective “fans”. So that was some pretty good street cred.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

You can be super Rock and Roll like my friend Rocky at a show a couple years ago!

Speaking of Rock, he's the front man in Dirty Years. Im traveling back to SF today and learned yesterday that we are recording Sunday. Nobody tells me shit! I wonder whats gonna come out. We've never played a song the same twice and none of them have titles. Hell, I dont even know what most of them are about - I think it depends on the day, the room, and who's in the crowd. We're a cue band.

Screenshot_20220325-164819_Photos.jpg

Can we pre-order the vinyl?

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Pitfa

I say go with the blood. Use a white guitar. If nothing else you’ll get the freaky chicks….

I surgically cut and crafted this little sliver of a band aid just to cover the cut. Then I super glued it on. Took quite a while. It was a work of art.

It was on the ground by the chorus of the first song.

No blood though. Probably due to the super glue on the cut itself. So I had ghat going for me. Which was nice.

Also my advice on acoustics is always the same: you can’t tell until you play the actual one. Go to whoever has the best inventory in town and play them all. You’ll know the one for you.

100%

I’ve told the story but years ago I had my heart set on a Taylor but played a Breedlove that spoke to me…and didn’t buy it. I found one years later and bought it, and it’s good, but it’s not the same as that one.

Yup.  Flush with cash after a minor windfall, I went to Guitar Rez to get a Taylor acoustic.  I allowed myself $2,500 but knew I'd go to $3,000 if the right guitar spoke to me.

Played every Taylor in the store, ended up with a 3-series dreadnought for $1,100 with case.  Still have it.  Great fucking guitar.  It just sounded the best of the bunch.

Son is attending a SXSW event in his South Austin neighborhood. Somebody there brought this 1943 Gibson, and insisted they all play it a bit. Son says it sounds really nice.
It was made by women since all the men were overseas. The guitar went overseas too and thankfully made it back.

55448BA6-669B-4661-8D2D-AB952DE91967.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, topochico said:

Reverb Martin pricing before hitting local shops tomorrow. Good Lord. 

https://reverb.com/item/38645487-martin-custom-shop-limited-edition-paul-jr-american-chopper-guitar-2-of-7

34E086D2-04ED-4583-939C-358721972C08_1_201_a.jpeg

Good Lord.  Thirty grand for that abomination?  

That's even worse than those "boogie van" Les Pauls that listed for 5k.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-26-at-10-15-17-PM.pn

• Like 1

There may be a market for custom-shop pieces of "art" (cough), but in my world, a guitar is a tool.  I'm disinclined to pay extra for anything that doesn't make it sound better.  It's kinda like the Darrell Royal theory about football uniforms.

Even as an investment, like a stock or a bond, those things have to be ultra-speculative and subject to the whims of the market.  No thanks.

• Like 3

Agree on all counts.  

As a guitar investment, you should put that thirty grand into a pre-war Martin or a 1960 Strat, or almost *anything* else.  Even though they're only making seven of them, I'd say there's a good chance that within a few years, we'll see one on Reverb, where somebody is bending over backwards with expired links and screen shots from old promo ads... trying to convince somebody to give them 15K (which might also be a bad investment).

• Like 1

Agree on all counts.  
As a guitar investment, you should put that thirty grand into a pre-war Martin or a 1960 Strat, or almost *anything* else.  Even though they're only making seven of them, I'd say there's a good chance that within a few years, we'll see one on Reverb, where somebody is bending over backwards with expired links and screen shots from old promo ads... trying to convince somebody to give them 15K (which might also be a bad investment).

They intend to create scarcity because they make so few. The truth is they make so few because they know there are only a handful of marks who are going to fall for that bullshit.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, topochico said:

Lol!

“The design of this guitar was filed away in the “does not meet our standard” cabinet for 65 years, and now you have the unique opportunity to own one.  The Gibson Theodore — an iconic piece of American musical history.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There may be a market for custom-shop pieces of "art" (cough), but in my world, a guitar is a tool.  I'm disinclined to pay extra for anything that doesn't make it sound better.  It's kinda like the Darrell Royal theory about football uniforms.
Even as an investment, like a stock or a bond, those things have to be ultra-speculative and subject to the whims of the market.  No thanks.

In my house, the tool plays the guitar. Zing!
  • Like 1

Starting to think hard about a tele deluxe type, which has a couple humbuckers.  The idea would be to have something that plays fendery (which I prefer) but sounds vintage gibsony (which I love).  Anyone got experience with humbucker equipped Tele's that can share thoughts?  I am not above throwing some PAFs in one of these to make it even more gibsony.

Anyway, will need to sell something to buy one, but the mod shop is calling.  I am digging Penny + tortoise, but surf green + mint would probably be killer, too.

snapshot.jpg.0feb3debc693b2a4a69717af0d3ce479.jpg

snapshot-1.jpg.43de0146520b86c17049d8b1f4455315.jpg

snapshot-2.jpg.ba1ec6710b0196a2ee345038a709ad97.jpg

snapshot-3.jpg.907325042cad33bc95d1d4ead6bc15e6.jpg

snapshot-4.jpg.c1f0b9e7fc30d300f0b907ab628dbe66.jpg

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Starting to think hard about a tele deluxe type, which has a couple humbuckers.  The idea would be to have something that plays fendery (which I prefer) but sounds vintage gibsony (which I love).  Anyone got experience with humbucker equipped Tele's that can share thoughts?  I am not above throwing some PAFs in one of these to make it even more gibsony.

Anyway, will need to sell something to buy one, but the mod shop is calling.  I am digging Penny + tortoise, but surf green + mint would probably be killer, too.

Jade or surf/maple

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I'll take a look, but I think all the G&Ls I've seen in the past still had a single coil in the bridge?

Could be.

EDIT:  looks like they might have some 2X 'buckers, here's a screen shot from the Tribute page:

image.png.af7dd3c2d428df30485979f99383c85e.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

And...???

keith.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with Keith or that pickup combo, I just want to see if I can get something close to a vintage Gibson Les Paul PAF sound out of both pickups while having the neck/scale length/playability I prefer from a Fender.  I won't be getting rid of my tele with 2 single coils.

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Surf.

Look into the G&L models, too.  My lower-end G&L plays better than my AmStd Tele did.

Could also look a Warmoth parts build, which would be cheaper than the mod shop if I am going to replace pickups with some PAFs anyway.  That would allow me to consider hollow with an F-hole, too.

252072382_ScreenShot2022-03-28at10_41_45AM.thumb.png.49488aedc6c61fbb857394323b243b02.png

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am 100% Team Warmoth, as everyone knows.  You just have to be willing to accept the fact that resale value isn't propped up by a brand name.

This.  At ACL one year I saw the guitar player for Brittany Howard playing an f-hole Tele that was a dark green with gold binding/appointments.  It was a great look.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Jade.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Another vote for Surf Green/Mint and Maple. The MOD shop is a fun place to kill some time. If you decide to order from there, an Annual Fender Play membership saves you 10%

IMG_5536.thumb.jpeg.27a5ae3fa637d24d7a14124a2c4f6f1d.jpeg

Edited by topochico
forgot the pic
  • Drool 1

Someone pointed me to this Troublemaker Telecaster that Fender put out.  This has the two humbuckers, individual vol/tone pots and the Gibson tailpiece, but not sure about the Strat headstock.  I know the 72 telecaster deluxes have them, but it seems off to me.

EB886D14-852F-4725-B33D-1C15EDCF7AF2.jpeg

E44DAD9F-2F5E-4AD5-A195-F88249FF4A43.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Not what you want but a prs McCarty is a fender Les Paul 

Yeah, and I may try a McCarty but it’s scale length is closer to the Gibson’s.  One of the main things I want is the 25.5” scale length even if it’s going to make the guitar sound less Gibsony.