The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Maybe by one of those nice Japanese lawsuit era Les Pauls with a bolt on neck and put a Fender Scale neck on it.

My first purchased electric was a 1978 Ibanez PF230.  Great sounding guitar, but a pain to keep in tune. 

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

I love when those vintage whites turn to buttercream.

For sure.  But for the record, that's a 1990 prefactory Tele (in vintage white).  It kind of was yellowy to begin with, but it has such a "slipping into an old shoe" feel to it, and sounds great.  87--early 90 was an unheralded golden age.  But real age, with lots of use in the smoking age prior to my purchase and a life in a case that smells like pipe smoke is some weirdly great mojo.  I'm actually worried about the rust on the pole pieces, but it's probably fine.  I'm not changing it.  Mike Campbell method for now.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Y’all sure do have some purty guitars.

This is cool. I wonder what they are going to charge for it.

Doesn't matter, it will be cancelled due to the culturally offensive man/woman symbols.

Edited by DougO

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Bogey do you ever play that Cobain Jag? What are your thoughts on it? I’ve been pondering one for a while.

4 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Same here for the JAG. In left handed of course. I have been looking at that in future. 

I’d say get one. Honestly they are cool as shit. Only sun burst I like 

I guess it's a shame nobody's in a Gretch mood.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15706708-gretsch-g5420t-electromatic-series-electric-guitar-with-bigsby-b60-vibrato-tailpiece-fairlane-blue-519-free-s-h-at-adorama?prop=pfd-15706708|prt-3&src=featured

Gretsch G5420T Electromatic Series Electric Guitar with Bigsby B60 Vibrato Tailpiece (Fairlane Blue) $519 + free s/h at Adorama

$519.00

gr2506011570.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, jimmyjazz said:

There may be a market for custom-shop pieces of "art" (cough), but in my world, a guitar is a tool.  I'm disinclined to pay extra for anything that doesn't make it sound better.  It's kinda like the Darrell Royal theory about football uniforms.

Even as an investment, like a stock or a bond, those things have to be ultra-speculative and subject to the whims of the market.  No thanks.

I will confess to falling prey to sparkly eye candy from time to time. This thing looks so much better in person. Marty Bell is a magician with the metal flake. I have no need for a '78 LP standard, but i did have a brief moment of weakness when I saw it. 

D2C4EB13-76AC-40D0-9AE1-32C62FCBA7E9_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

I will confess to falling prey to sparkly eye candy from time to time. This thing looks so much better in person. Marty Bell is a magician with the metal flake. I have no need for a '78 LP standard, but i did have a brief moment of weakness when I saw it. 
D2C4EB13-76AC-40D0-9AE1-32C62FCBA7E9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.44eb78dcbe30f2f7bad6c22434f975ec.jpeg

Link? I have a friend who’d be all over this.

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Never been a huge Steve Vai fan but that was bad ass.

I liked his stuff with Whitesnake, and I listened to the Passion & Warfare CD a lot in high school. But I was always more in awe of his technical talent than his songs. I always found Satriani to be “groovier”. 

But I’m glad there are guys like him pushing the envelope even if I don’t listen to his stuff too much. 

9 hours ago, DougO said:

I guess it's a shame nobody's in a Gretch mood.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15706708-gretsch-g5420t-electromatic-series-electric-guitar-with-bigsby-b60-vibrato-tailpiece-fairlane-blue-519-free-s-h-at-adorama?prop=pfd-15706708|prt-3&src=featured
Gretsch G5420T Electromatic Series Electric Guitar with Bigsby B60 Vibrato Tailpiece (Fairlane Blue) $519 + free s/h at Adorama

$519.00

gr2506011570.jpg

Well, I am.  I just bought it.

I said this last year...:

On 3/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, phdhorn said:

I only own one electric guitar (I'm not a collector, just a  playah!)  But if I did get another one, and I am certain I will, it will be one of the Gretsch Hollows.  This one in particular interests me, gawd is it purty.

2401319821_gre_ins_frt_01_rr.png

... and as I'm really not a collector but a player, I've wanted a Gretsch for some time.  That guitar is the perfect color and model - I'm hearing that the Electromatics are going to get some quality cuts, and "get the Korean one while you can".  At this price and color, it wasn't much of a decision.  I don't even need to play it, I know exactly what to expect (more or less) after research.

I've wanted a hollow body to finish out my "collection" - 1 good acoustic (Martin), 1 rocker (Strat) and now a hollow.

Thanks for posting, I'll show pics when it gets here in a week.  Hope it's not bashed/junked but we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Awesome! Adorama should be giving me referral bonuses.

Well, I could pay you 25,000 Ameros or a sixer of Fat Tire or something referral fee (or I can paypal a few bucks) for your heads up, just PM me an address.

Wanted a Gretsch for some time, although in all honesty haven't been raking the Net for one lately.. been busy with sax (that's sAx) and other stuff, but man this just walked into my front door and wallet.  So now I can cross this off.

I am not by any stretch an impulse buyer but this one was pretty easy.  I'll see about making a short video of it to give an idea of what it can do.  I hear the strap pegs and possibly the gearheads have given some people problems, but those are easy and inexpensive fixes if needed.  Looking fwd though to hearing those 'Tron pickups.

54 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Pretty sweet deal, free shipping (let's see what condition it arrives in):

image.png.863cc75e6705d127c79aaf0987fcbbc3.png

I've bought several guitars from them. They came in the original unopened factory packaging which was packed into another box. They were all flawless, aside from the usual set up and tweaking.

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Well, I could pay you 25,000 Ameros or a sixer of Fat Tire or something referral fee (or I can paypal a few bucks) for your heads up, just PM me an address.

Wanted a Gretsch for some time, although in all honesty haven't been raking the Net for one lately.. been busy with sax (that's sAx) and other stuff, but man this just walked into my front door and wallet.  So now I can cross this off.

I am not by any stretch an impulse buyer but this one was pretty easy.  I'll see about making a short video of it to give an idea of what it can do.  I hear the strap pegs and possibly the gearheads have given some people problems, but those are easy and inexpensive fixes if needed.  Looking fwd though to hearing those 'Tron pickups.

It's all good. I'm happy to be an enabler since I haven't contributed to my own NGD for over a year. I bought a double-cut version during one of those specials a couple of years ago, I guess it was the last major guitar purchase. I haven't played it much but it's a bargain at that price.

I had to go re-watch the DLR Just Like Paradise to see Vai's heart guitar. Can't tell but was that just a left handed neck or would he turn the entire thing over?

It's completely stupid (and not stupid cool) but had me thinking since I hadn't watched that video in 20 something years.

• Like 1

Roth sucked on the 1984 tour with VH at the Erwin Center, too.  The rest of the band was great, but he totally got upstaged by Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi opened).  I remember loving the musicianship, but overall kind of being disappointed in VH with how bad DLR performed.  I wasn't really surprised when they broke up shortly thereafter.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1