The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I didn’t realize it at 14, but looking back it’s clear to me now that DLR was always a tool.

Yeah, but man he was an extraordinary front man with Van Halen.  I saw their first headlining tour (1979, in support of Van Halen 2), and he was beyond amazing.  The set list:

1. Light Up the Sky
  2. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
  3. Drum Solo
  4. Runnin' With the Devil
  5. Dance the Night Away
  6. Beautiful Girls
  7. On Fire
  8. Bass Solo
  9. You're No Good
  10. Jamie's Cryin'
  11. Feel Your Love Tonight
  12. Outta Love Again
  13. Ice Cream Man
  14. Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
  15. Guitar Solo
  16. You Really Got Me
  17. Bottoms Up!
Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Sorry about your loss Judge. Your FIL had good taste in guitars. That looks bad ass. 

Thanks, he actually passed a few years ago, but my niece has had his old SG since then. She’s moving and is giving it to me for a while.  It actually has a bigsby setup.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Unfortunately I'll only have it a few months, unless she takes something else back of his that I have.  Maybe I can convince her to take the old cornet and fiddle lol...

Challenge her to a crossroads duel for the guitar.

(Sorry about your family's loss, its cool that you have such artifacts to connect to your FIL through).

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, he actually passed a few years ago, but my niece has had his old SG since then. She’s moving and is giving it to me for a while.  It actually has a bigsby setup.
h1oyrqjzzrvvso7rq7vh.jpg

Outstanding. Please tell us you have an old Marshall to crank that bad boy through. Then post clips.

22 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

That’s sharp right there…

It actually is - I don't know how/who he had set it up, but it is extremely playable for someone like me who doesn't have SRV-like fingers.  Strings are like butter.  I think because he generally played country music and not thick-string jam stuff.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Orange terror will do

So will the Super.  I have a Clark built Super and it was a little tougher to figure out versus my other tweeds.  But once I did, it lived up to its name and could get into that percussive Super Reverb territory (sans reverb). 

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So will the Super.  I have a Clark built Super and it was a little tougher to figure out versus my other tweeds.  But once I did, it lived up to its name and could get into that percussive Super Reverb territory (sans reverb). 

So AUTF can testify, the 1959 Super I have is legit, the problem now is I'm pretty sure the power supply has shit the bed, I can no longer get it to power up.  I have a guy that I can get to work on it but man, trusting he won't replace stuff is paramount.  Any suggestions for amp repair in Austin?

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

So AUTF can testify, the 1959 Super I have is legit, the problem now is I'm pretty sure the power supply has shit the bed, I can no longer get it to power up.  I have a guy that I can get to work on it but man, trusting he won't replace stuff is paramount.  Any suggestions for amp repair in Austin?

No local recommendations, although I'm sure Austin Vintage Guitars could make some suggestions.  I'd suggest contacting David Allen at allenamps.com.  He's sold the business and purportedly was only going to do face-to-face service, but I have a friend who recently emailed him and got his old Deluxe Reverb worked on.  You just ship him the chassis and tubes and be specific about what you want to keep original, etc.  I don't think there's anyone else I'd want working on my Fender type amps if I could avoid it.  He has a great ear and turnaround is usually pretty quick.  Prices always have seemed pretty reasonable to me.  But definitely worth sending him an email.  He's very responsive.

As for not powering up, I'm guessing you mean a no-light no sound situation.  Did you check the fuse?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

No local recommendations, although I'm sure Austin Vintage Guitars could make some suggestions.  I'd suggest contacting David Allen at allenamps.com.  He's sold the business and purportedly was only going to do face-to-face service, but I have a friend who recently emailed him and got his old Deluxe Reverb worked on.  You just ship him the chassis and tubes and be specific about what you want to keep original, etc.  I don't think there's anyone else I'd want working on my Fender type amps if I could avoid it.  He has a great ear and turnaround is usually pretty quick.  Prices always have seemed pretty reasonable to me.  But definitely worth sending him an email.  He's very responsive.

As for not powering up, I'm guessing you mean a no-light no sound situation.  Did you check the fuse?

LOL yeah I checked the fuse.  The guy i was contemplating working on it is an electrical engineer who should probably be posting in the Ukraine War thread.  Specializes in drones.

• Haha 1

Don’t use a guy who specializes in Ukrainian drones. Use a guy who specializes in old fender amps.

I don’t know who it is, but zero chance there isn’t someone who knows what they’re doing when it comes to repairing old fender tube amps in Austin. Just ask around.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Don’t use a guy who specializes in Ukrainian drones. Use a guy who specializes in old fender amps.

I don’t know who it is, but zero chance there isn’t someone who knows what they’re doing when it comes to repairing old fender tube amps in Austin. Just ask around.

Agree on the first part.  Agree there is probably someone in Austin who knows what he/she is doing.

Having said that, I know it's daunting to think about shipping that amp chassis and tubes, but if you pack it well and pack the tubes well, it will be fine.  David is a wizard with old Fender amps.  My turnaround time with him has, in the past, been about a week.  Same was true for my friend who recently worked with him.  If I had to bet, I'd say no way any amp service tech worth his salt in Austin is going to have that amp back to you in under a month.

If anything, email him.  You'll get a good feeling about the whole thing, I expect. 

I've fallen in love with my Supro Supreme again. It's not much different than the Black Magick, just lacks the trem and runs 6v6's, which I'm fond of. Run a Topanga reverb in front and damn if it isn't magical. Helps to have the extension cab. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, so, I guess this should have been common knowledge but I fucked up.

The nut on my tele broke at the low E position.  I took it in to the shop and they said I did not string it correctly.   I wound the strings in the "wrong" direction.

I always break out "The Guitar Handbook" when I do change the strings, but I must have missed this extremely important detail.  I'm posting this for others that suffer from not reading the footnotes, fine print, or failing to watch the ever important youtube video that covers this.

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

This amp is  beautiful.   All original.  I even have the paperwork he bought it with.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, tigol said:

Well, so, I guess this should have been common knowledge but I fucked up.

The nut on my tele broke at the low E position. 

Not a problem. Reference Keith Richards (surprised Deej didn't post that first) and Brisco Darling.

13 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This amp is  beautiful.   All original.  I even have the paperwork he bought it with.  

spacer.png

That amp looks amazing.  But 1959?  That's a wide panel, which would suggest 1952--1955?  And if it's a late wide panel 1955, does it have 6v6 or 6L6 power tubes (Supers had 6v6 from 1955 until 1957, before switching back to 6L6 in 1958?

Edited by dcbc

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That amp looks amazing.  But 1959?  That's a wide panel, which would suggest 1952--1955?  And if it's a late wide panel 1955, does it have 6v6 or 6L6 power tubes (Supers had 6v6 from 1955 until 1957, before switching back to 6L6 in 1958?

GleamingFlimsyFlyingfish-max-1mb.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

To clarify, that wasn't an pic of the actual amp I have.  I apologize for being completely blitzed while posting.  I'm too old to be doing that anymore.

• Haha 1