The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

To clarify, that wasn't an pic of the actual amp I have.  I apologize for being completely blitzed while posting.  I'm too old to be doing that anymore.

Ha!  No worries.  And be careful hitting those old Jensens with too much volume, although I'm sure they sound so good, it can be hard to resist.

Edited by dcbc

25 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Ha!  No worries.  And be careful hitting those old Jensens with too much volume, although I'm sure they sound so good, it can be hard to resist.

I'm gonna take some actual pictures of the back, and share them.  I pulled that thing out of a closet and couldn't believe it still had all original stuff.  Rat turds notwithstanding.

20 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I'm gonna take some actual pictures of the back, and share them.  I pulled that thing out of a closet and couldn't believe it still had all original stuff.  Rat turds notwithstanding.

I know people who would replace those speakers and put the originals in a box to preserve them in case they ever decided to sell.  But on the other hand, they sound so good.

I've got 4 Jensen (Chicago) C12N speakers from 1968 that sound unbelievable.  I run one in my 1973 Deluxe Reverb with no worries about its survival and have 3 backups, just in case.

That said, those Jensen P10Rs in that amp of yours were good for about 12 watts out of the box and, according to Ted Weber, are good for a lot less now.  So if the 5f4 was good for about 25 watts, it still was exceeding the combined wattage for those speakers when everything was new.  Still, even if you blow them, get them reconed with new voice coils and rock on, I'd say.  They sound terrible unplugged and in a box.

I didnt know they made those black tops like that. Looked like a Hilotron with extra pole pieces. That great Gretsch sound! There is a lot more Rock and Roll recorded with those things than people realize.. for instance, Pete Townsend is known for his Les Pauls, but most of his classic studio recordings are on a '59 6120 that Joe Walsh gave him. Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Something I'd like to hear every day...

She came today!
image.png.8fe3c1ceadec89cc3dffc3f5b5ecce6c.png image.png.e2f45b46a1b56c95ea93b5b9b22c2d97.png

(Tenor sax peeking in at left; matches the Ludwig cans!  Wow!)................... Love the f-hole plying!

image.png.0fcf394d1fd409199e1169b4d481bc90.png  image.png.bf419432261746ff694a52bbc0bdc644.png

Lake Tahoe on a sunny day........................................................  Neck and inlays.  Love the basic headstock.

Just ran it around the test track a little... action seems great, might not need to adjust.  It's big - as hollow bodies are... bigger than I anticipated, and has a dreadnought body feel.  Neck will take some getting used to... much deeper (behind, where your "cup" between thumb and index is), again feels more like an acoustic and less like a fast-moving Strat... but I have larger hands so shouldn't take long to get it down.  Narrower neck than I might have thought, too.  My favorite reaction so far is running distortion through it and playing power chords that have a woodsy bottom to them - gawd this thing will sound great cranked up.  There's a particular Gretsch power sound I like (not Malcolm's though that's awesome).  Very happy with that.

Hopefully I can make a short video and coax out a few different sounds.  Should walk through 50's sound like buttah.  Anyway, much happiness ensued.

That’s a good looking guitar.  Damn.  

23 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Something I'd like to hear every day...

She came today!
image.png.8fe3c1ceadec89cc3dffc3f5b5ecce6c.png image.png.e2f45b46a1b56c95ea93b5b9b22c2d97.png

(Tenor sax peeking in at left; matches the Ludwig cans!  Wow!)................... Love the f-hole plying!

image.png.0fcf394d1fd409199e1169b4d481bc90.png  image.png.bf419432261746ff694a52bbc0bdc644.png

Lake Tahoe on a sunny day........................................................  Neck and inlays.  Love the basic headstock.

Just ran it around the test track a little... action seems great, might not need to adjust.  It's big - as hollow bodies are... bigger than I anticipated, and has a dreadnought body feel.  Neck will take some getting used to... much deeper (behind, where your "cup" between thumb and index is), again feels more like an acoustic and less like a fast-moving Strat... but I have larger hands so shouldn't take long to get it down.  Narrower neck than I might have thought, too.  My favorite reaction so far is running distortion through it and playing power chords that have a woodsy bottom to them - gawd this thing will sound great cranked up.  There's a particular Gretsch power sound I like (not Malcolm's though that's awesome).  Very happy with that.

Hopefully I can make a short video and coax out a few different sounds.  Should walk through 50's sound like buttah.  Anyway, much happiness ensued.

That is beautiful!  I bought this one in 2019 for $549 thanks to a post on here.  It is fantastic and was such a good deal.  Made in best Korea.

https://www.adorama.com/gr2509300520.html

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:42 PM, tigol said:

Well, so, I guess this should have been common knowledge but I fucked up.

The nut on my tele broke at the low E position.  I took it in to the shop and they said I did not string it correctly.   I wound the strings in the "wrong" direction.

I always break out "The Guitar Handbook" when I do change the strings, but I must have missed this extremely important detail.  I'm posting this for others that suffer from not reading the footnotes, fine print, or failing to watch the ever important youtube video that covers this.

I need to know if this is dumb.

Erlewine is quoting around $500 to fix the nut and set up the tele.  New bridge, truss rod, nut, strings, and other adjustments to fix intonation.  It's a 2012 and I paid $700 for it used.  I'm not a good player, but I do like this guitar.  I'm torn between telling him to go ahead or just taking it to Strait and having them replace the nut and re-string it.  I don't have complaints about the action and I'm not going on tour, but I like the idea of him fixing it up.

12 minutes ago, tigol said:

I need to know if this is dumb.

Erlewine is quoting around $500 to fix the nut and set up the tele.  New bridge, truss rod, nut, strings, and other adjustments to fix intonation.  It's a 2012 and I paid $700 for it used.  I'm not a good player, but I do like this guitar.  I'm torn between telling him to go ahead or just taking it to Strait and having them replace the nut and re-string it.  I don't have complaints about the action and I'm not going on tour, but I like the idea of him fixing it up.

I would think a setup and nut repair would be more like $150, and I can't imagine it is required for you to get a new truss rod and bridge unless there is a lot more going on with the guitar than just a broken nut.  Maybe they are trying to upsell you on a pimp-your-guitar package or something?

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think a setup and nut repair would be more like $150, and I can't imagine it is required for you to get a new truss rod and bridge unless there is a lot more going on with the guitar than just a broken nut.  Maybe they are trying to upsell you on a pimp-your-guitar package or something?

This.

Thanks guys!  I didn't get a negative vibe from him, but I imagine having his name on the setup may play a role.

My guess is set ups are boring/time sucks to him and he’s far enough along in his career he can choose more interesting and lucrative work. He’s charging you the price of what he’d likely loose working on Trigger or the like to do your set up.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My guess is set ups are boring/time sucks to him and he’s far enough along in his career he can choose more interesting and lucrative work. He’s charging you the price of what he’d likely loose working on Trigger or the like to do your set up.

And that's fair.

2 hours ago, tigol said:

Thanks guys!  I didn't get a negative vibe from him, but I imagine having his name on the setup may play a role.

Yep. He's got famous people paying him for his work. Doesn't need you. That's how he weeds them out. 

Sucks, I paid less than 200 for pretty much all that about 8 years ago. 

He's a really cool and interesting guy, but he's getting up there and probably doesn't want the hassle at this point unless the money is too good to pass up. 

Or he just got his latest property tax bill.

Edited by Deej

I’d say I agree with JJs take. I got a guy here who works on all kinds of famous peoples shit. He’s an odd dude but he’ll work on anyone’s stuff. Toured with UFO way back in the day as their guitar tech. And he’ll tell you if your guitar isn’t worth the money to repair it. Very honest. And half the time he tries to not even charge me but II always just leave cash on his bench.

No need to big time people.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’d say I agree with JJs take. I got a guy here who works on all kinds of famous peoples shit. He’s an odd dude but he’ll work on anyone’s stuff. Toured with UFO way back in the day as their guitar tech. And he’ll tell you if your guitar isn’t worth the money to repair it. Very honest. And half the time he tries to not even charge me but II always just leave cash on his bench.

No need to big time people.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to say "look, I charge more than most guys, and I'm worth it, but this is pretty basic stuff."  I wouldn't be offended if someone told me that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On a more positive note, I dropped of my Guild ( https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GD140AB--guild-d-140-antique-burst) at Strait in January for a set up.  I needed the action lowered and I wanted them to service the tuners or replace them.  I wasn't in a hurry and knew their reputation for long wait times.  After I got the estimate on the tele, I called Strait and they put me on the phone with Jess right away.  She explained that my guitar slipped through the cracks and would get that shit done right away with me on the phone.  I pick it up tomorrow.  ~$100 for a nice set up and Elixir strings. If I can get the tele from the shop tomorrow I'll leave it with Strait when I pick up the Guild.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’ve had Erlewine do 5 jobs for me over the past 10-15 years. From glueing the head back on my ‘67 SG to a string change on a Martin. Every time it’s been crazy expensive and every time it’s been perfect. I play like shit so I need all the help I can get. What I read above sounds like he wants to adjust the truss rod rather than replace it. Still an expensive bid. I’d say it depends on how much you like the guitar and if you plan to keep it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I’ve had Erlewine do 5 jobs for me over the past 10-15 years. From glueing the head back on my ‘67 SG to a string change on a Martin. Every time it’s been crazy expensive and every time it’s been perfect. I play like shit so I need all the help I can get. What I read above sounds like he wants to adjust the truss rod rather than replace it. Still an expensive bid. I’d say it depends on how much you like the guitar and if you plan to keep it. 

Yeah.  If it's your number 1 or 2, it's a question.  If it's the one you like, but keep out of the case to grab for a minute, maybe shop the job around, at which point, it all just depends on who's doing the work.

Who's going to the Dallas guitar show at the end of the month? It's been a while for me, but Paul Gilbert is headlining the Sunday afternoon show, following John 5. I'd like to see both of those guys play, but especially Gilbert.

I couldn’t make it that far.  I quit after his bitching about the 10” fretboard radius.  That’s just a personal preference thing.  It’s not a flaw of the guitar, just an editorial choice made by the manufacturer that he does not like.  Big whoop, go buy an Ibanez if you want a shredder profile.