The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Maybe because they can't improve upon them enough to justify it?

Or because they already have. (And doing so was such a low bar that it was done almost immediately.)

I'll dip out now, just wanted to let Doug know he's not the only one on this lonely hill.

Edited by BoomMF

Maybe because they can't improve upon them enough to justify it?
Exactly. You dont touch a classic. Everbody knows that. You don't see much variation in Les Paul copies either.

The Strat was experimental and futrlerustoc from the getgo. There's your platform to go wild with. Same can be said for flying Vs and Explorers.

"...that's defining for sound." Cosmetic tops don't change the guitar family, but things like neck setting type into solid-body wood type does. V's and Explorers couldn't be more Les Paul if you threw binding on them.

Edited by BoomMF

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Telecasters, yes, Telecaster design elements incorporated into other guitars, no.

The number of Strat copies, and more importantly guitars that steal Strat design concepts, takes a chest dump on Tele numbers of the same. The reasons for this truism abound.

Telecasters are a cold war relic of blunt design.

gif-shaking-head-33.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Maybe Superhero just watched this video yesterday.

No. I first saw him play the Tele on his Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD. He also played a black Gretch Duo Jet.

They both sounded great, especially the Tele. But NOTHING beats the sound of his black Strat playing Comfortably Numb. 

As an 11 year old discovering the world of guitars, the tele looked like a pudgy girl, the strat was already immediately recognizable as the electric guitar, and a flame top paf cherry burst les Paul was as obviously cool as a Ferrari testarossa.

But I mean, appreciation for the tele grew quickly. I didn’t like coffee as an 11 year old either and now I wouldn’t live without it.

Main flaw with the PRS headstock is it’s hard for a snark. Main thing that’s not cool about a PRS is the history of nu Metal and Hawaiian shirt white dentist blues cover bands.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

And honestly if you want to talk about questionable designs, the Les Paul is kinda silly. It looks like an orchestra instrument and isn’t practical in any real way. They are almost impossible to sit down and play. But good ones sound and play fantastic and most of them have really pretty tops. Like a less practical PRS.

/ducks

But Strat is king.

40 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

And honestly if you want to talk about questionable designs, the Les Paul is kinda silly. It looks like an orchestra instrument and isn’t practical in any real way. They are almost impossible to sit down and play. But good ones sound and play fantastic and most of them have really pretty tops. Like a less practical PRS.

/ducks

But Strat is king.

Also the headstock is attached to the neck with a saltine cracker 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Buzz exercising his trollolol muscles this morning.

I know, just fucking around on a Good Friday. I’ve stated before that PRS makes a damn fine instrument but it does look a little furniture-like to me. I kind of admire Navarro’s take with the solid white edition.

This is a pretty cool list of 35 artist players weighing in on the PRS anniversary a couple years ago. Celery is right, they have a lot of nu metal players but some legit heavyweights as well. A testament to their appeal.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/35-players-including-john-mayer-alex-lifeson-dave-navarro-and-carlos-santana-on-why-they-love-prs-guitars
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:
That’s straight up trolling!

Straight up trolling l would have been if I set it up with your Princeton Reverb judge.

You still have it?  Figured you’d have refurbished and passed it on.   Still apologetic about my alcoholic haze and the misunderstanding my wife had about that thing.

• Like 1