The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 minute ago, Deej said:

The new Fender Hope Solo Signature Strat

Screenshot_20220419-175044_Instagram.jpg

Of all the possible ways to install the strap button...that one seems like a poor choice. But then who the fuck is actually going to strap that thing on? Maybe it just sticks to the bottom of your shoe.

Picked up the tele from Strait.  Wow.  What a difference.

She did a ton of cleaning, polished the frets, cleaned the bridge, stabilized the neck pickup, re-drilled the stripped holes for the strap locks, cleaned the electronics, adjusted the truss rod, and did a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting.  The new bone nut and strings are fantastic.  I'm not a good player, but I do have a very good ear and I can hear the difference in the new nut and fresh strings. There are so many things that I didn't know were bothering me until I picked it up and they were gone.  No more scratching sound when I adjust the volume or tone.  The neck pickup isn't flopping around.  It is just fun to play.

To all of you that recommend a set up, thank you and I'm sorry it took me so long.  I was out the door for $140 and I couldn't be happier with the work.  Just fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Amp question, but don't care, on the same quest as Deej (?) to combine the treads.

Looking for a small practice amp that's quiet enough for home; and decent sounding so I can use it live (mic'ed up of course). I generally play (poorly) rock on a Tele or LP.

2 in the price range that piqued my interest are the Spark and Vox Pathfinder. Any experience with either of these?

Taking a stab at that price range, I'd spend a little more and get a used Vox AC10 for about $350.  It's not perfect, but it's a very good amp for the money and can hold up in a band setting.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Amp question, but don't care, on the same quest as Deej (?) to combine the treads.

Looking for a small practice amp that's quiet enough for home; and decent sounding so I can use it live (mic'ed up of course). I generally play (poorly) rock on a Tele or LP.

2 in the price range that piqued my interest are the Spark and Vox Pathfinder. Any experience with either of these?

I’m a big Spark fan as a practice amp.  Can search back in the thread here for more details.  I don’t think it would fare that well in a live band setting, though.

21 hours ago, Superhero said:

I think a Fender Mustang (20 or 25 Watt version) would be a better option than either of these and is about the same price as the Pathfinder.   That Vox has a 6 1/2" speaker.  At least the Fender has an 8".  I haven't heard the Vox in years, but it was really tinny sounding.  I've never heard the Spark.  

Clearance Model 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Mustang-I-V2-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Black-1352132365567.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v6SBhCsARIsACyrRAlte_vM8QSKbToAohCwDWWGUTJ5wtnQSxWti_LbnSJigzRwwRLMD_EaAgRyEALw_wcB

Newer model:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/mustang-lt25/2311100000.html

15 hours ago, dcbc said:

Taking a stab at that price range, I'd spend a little more and get a used Vox AC10 for about $350.  It's not perfect, but it's a very good amp for the money and can hold up in a band setting.

I have an Vox AC4 that I use in band practice and I absolutely LOVE it.  For just a little more money than the Mustang and Pathfinder, you get a tube amp that is plenty loud enough without being mic'ed.   They make a 12" version but you can find the 10" versions for about $300 used.  This is what I have.    Out of a Blues Jr, Marshall Class 5, and a 65 DR (which I recently returned to the owner), the Vox gets played more than any of them.  

14 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I think a Fender Mustang (20 or 25 Watt version) would be a better option than either of these and is about the same price as the Pathfinder.   That Vox has a 6 1/2" speaker.  At least the Fender has an 8".  I haven't heard the Vox in years, but it was really tinny sounding.  I've never heard the Spark.  

Clearance Model 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Mustang-I-V2-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Black-1352132365567.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v6SBhCsARIsACyrRAlte_vM8QSKbToAohCwDWWGUTJ5wtnQSxWti_LbnSJigzRwwRLMD_EaAgRyEALw_wcB

Newer model:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/mustang-lt25/2311100000.html

I'll give him a Surly price on a Boss Katana 50. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

It ain't gonna win no beauty contests, that's for sure.

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That thing is ugly lol

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’m not a big Reverb guy, so I will only say I would look elsewhere. That said they are a cool alternative to a LP Jr.

I remember those strat-o-sonics. The one I always wanted was the telesonic

MV5BMTAwM2ViZTYtOWU5NS00ZjZjLWI4YjgtMDQ1

Chambered mahogany. The strat-o-sonic is definitely weirder looking than the tele, and I'd want more information if that was something I  was after, but the telesonic is another one of those guitars that, if i walked into a store and it was there, I'd be in danger of taking it home.

On the amp discussion, every couple of years I think "well just get a pro jr duh" and then look them up and am surprised at how expensive they are. I bought a Blues Jr for $300 and it's not brilliant, but has been a reliable workhorse for... fucking 20 years which I guess is why it was $300 (used). Curious about the AC10. I never really trust a solid state amp if I'm in a situation (as with a band) where I want it loud. But that said, I just set the Katana up in the corner of my office and it is fun to fuck around with.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

I remember those strat-o-sonics. The one I always wanted was the telesonic

MV5BMTAwM2ViZTYtOWU5NS00ZjZjLWI4YjgtMDQ1

Chambered mahogany. The strat-o-sonic is definitely weirder looking than the tele, and I'd want more information if that was something I  was after, but the telesonic is another one of those guitars that, if i walked into a store and it was there, I'd be in danger of taking it home.

On the amp discussion, every couple of years I think "well just get a pro jr duh" and then look them up and am surprised at how expensive they are. I bought a Blues Jr for $300 and it's not brilliant, but has been a reliable workhorse for... fucking 20 years which I guess is why it was $300 (used). Curious about the AC10. I never really trust a solid state amp if I'm in a situation (as with a band) where I want it loud. But that said, I just set the Katana up in the corner of my office and it is fun to fuck around with.

AC10 isn't solid state. 

I have an AC10, Mustang, and Spark.

I play the AC10 for the most part, but I would recommend the Spark over the Mustang for learning and trying out different sounds.  Fender stopped supporting the software that made the Mustang a better amp than it is on its own.

I haven't used all of the Spark features because I am lazy, but if you download the app there is a ton of "free" shit on there including backing tracks and it will give you the chords to any song you want to play along with.  Gordeho gave a nice write-up and video reviews a page or two back.  The Spark is a good buy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spend more money.  Tweed Harvard clone with a 12" speaker.  Two knobs; three inputs.  Get a 3-way switcher and plug it into each input with one line to the guitar for varying boost options.  Just a tremendous amp circuit without the nastiness of a Tweed Deluxe. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

AC10 is a fantastic little amp, and nowhere near the ridiculous weight of the AC15. Damn thing weighs the same as my Supro Thunderbolt.

It is fantastic.   I have the tan version, which comes upgraded with jj tubes and a celestian cream back.  Highly recommend it. 

only drawback is that it only has the top boost circuit, and it is picky about drive pedals.  I have a few pedals that sound great on a fender and terrible on the vox.  There is a reason most vox guys stick to one of a small handful of drive pedals (Timmy, hot cake, Rat, rangemaster clones). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have 2 of those Champ 600s, both aren't working right presently.

I did the handwire conversion I found on TDPRI to one. It sounded great for a while, but now its all fizzy and pops.

I took the other apart for some reason I can't recall. I dont know if I should just put it back together or figure out why I took it apart? I think my idea was to build a cabinet with a 10" speaker for it.

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Sounds intriguing. Explain the two knobs and three inputs please.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and who makes this clone?

Knobs are volume and tone.  Inputs 1, 2, and 3 (hottest, a bit less hot, a bit less hot still).  More technically, Input 1 is unattenuated.  Input 2 is attenuated -3.5db.  Input 3 is attenuated -9.5db.

Usually, I'll plug a single coil into input 1 or a humbucker into 2 or 3.  Or you could use 3 for more clean headroom or whatever.  Or, you do the thing with the switcher, set  input 3 up as your clean tone and use 2 as a mild boost and 1 as a lead boost.

I got mine made by Lil Dawg Amps.  Victoria makes one (Ivy League) or Chicagolux (Tweed Vibrolux is just a Harvard with vibrato).  The Harvard (5f10) originally was a 1x10.  Jim at LD Amps talked me into the 12 and I'm glad he did.  Victoria offers both speaker options, but there are more 1x10s out there.

Very nice cleans and, when turned up, it gives up what sounds to me like Stones in 72.  If any Fender tweed amp could be said to be a "baby Bassman," the Harvard 5f10 is it.  An original 1x10 with a tele is the Steve Cropper sound.

Here's mine (I replaced that little dawg badge with a replica Fender Harvard badge because the LD one was ugly):

Harvard-Front.jpg

Harvard-Back.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Can you jump the inputs?

I don't think so.  And if you could, I don't think it would be beneficial since two of the three channels are attenuated and there's only one volume control.  Also, jumpering usually involves two channels with multiple inputs per channel.  I think this is single channel with multiple inputs.

I think that only works on non-reverb 4-holers (excluding the low power tweed twin (5e8a) where you have to use a y-cable to get the benefits of both channels).

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

I don't think so.  And if you could, I don't think it would be beneficial since two of the three channels are attenuated and there's only one volume control.  Also, jumpering usually involves two channels with multiple inputs per channel.  I think this is single channel with multiple inputs.

I think that only works on non-reverb 4-holers (excluding the low power tweed twin (5e8a) where you have to use a y-cable to get the benefits of both channels).

My Valco reproductions have three inputs each. Sounds so much better when I jumper the two outside inputs and plug the guitar into the middle one.